RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Need some input before I purchase. Anyone actually regret buying the RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 05:48 PM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input before I purchase. Anyone actually regret buying the RC F?

First post, but long time reader!

I have been looking for a fun, performance car and now debating between an M4 and the RC F. Had a terrible ownership experience with a BMW before. I like the Lexus a lot and leaning towards the RC F even though I like the way the M4 drives a bit better. However, there are many 2015 RC Fs left over on dealer lots and the deals seem to be very attractive. Plus, I'm nervous the BMW is going to be in the shop all the time which is what happened with my 335i.

I've read most if not all the "official" reviews and now want some actual owner feedback...

Does anyone have buyers remorse? Has the RC F grown on you or did the new car feeling wear off quickly? Has anyone else passed on an M4 for the RC F, if so why? Any regrets?
Old 02-15-16, 06:16 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I do. But that doesn't mean it would be the wrong car for YOU. I was looking for a proper GT car after the GTR let me down on that. The RC-F is the same thing: trying too hard to be a sports car when it's not. Too noisy for the crappy roads here in the desert southwest, suspension is very stiff for the performance it has (mostly too hard shocks, so not tuned properly, and it's castrated by a very mild front negative camber that is not adjustable), and it's not adjustable, like on the RC350 F-sport ( go figure). Cabin noise on normal freeways is okay, and I thought it wouldn't be that bad on crappier roads. It is MUCH worse. Suspension is tolerable to me, but not my wife. Even my buddy's McLaren is not as stiff. Nor the GTR, Vette, or any Porsche. And our last complaint is for long trips, the seat cushion is too hard. Took it to Big Bend, and I wouldn't take it any longer than that. My wife was extremely uncomfortable, and had to stop several times for her to walk a little. I decided on the RC-F vs a Cayman GTS because the Cayman was going to be stiff and loud. Should have bought that car instead. And if I decide on a GT car, will go with a more sure bet, like an M6, that I know will be quieter for sure, while it'd also perform better than the RC-F in every respect. Problem is it costs more, but if you want a quieter car in that price range, I'd look at the MB C63S, which also trounces the RC-F in every performance category, and it's quieter as well. If you want a coupe, it's coming this year. Try to drive one extensively to make sure it's the right car for you.

I think most other people will tell you it's the greatest car on earth, so beware of that. Lots of fanboys here, so few will point out the flaws. There're some real issues on some cars as well, which I attritube for being its first year. That was another mistake I made and never will repeat again. My car has a ton of rattles, and many other annoyances due to lack of quality control. If you want to consider it, drive a used one extensively so you don't make an $80K mistake, like I did. The car is great, especially for short trips. But not what I expected. I drove it enough, but not on the right asphalt, or long enough to find out about seat discomfort. Good luck.
Old 02-15-16, 06:56 PM
kdphan
Driver

I looked at the RCF briefly vs. ATS-V and a few other cars to replace my F80 M3.

RCF was the heaviest of the bunch and felt sluggish. Ended up with an ATS-V sedan and have been happy so far through 1500 miles. Be aware of road noise in the M cars. Not enough insulation from what I've experienced.

If I had to do it over again and dealers offered me an RCF for 59k I would've gotten that over my ATS-V. Such a great deal on RCF nowadays.
Old 02-15-16, 07:37 PM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As tempting as the ATS-V is, I will never buy another Cadillac ever again. In two years of ownership, my CTS-V was in the shop almost two months. Only 14k miles put on the car and it was out of service for 8 weeks.

The RC-F may not be as fast as some of the other competitors, but I think overall, it's the best package. It does everything well IMO- I love the interior, the Levinson system is outstanding, and it's got more than enough powder for every day driving.

If you want a track car, get the M4, but if you want a car you can drive every day and enjoy and not have to worry about problems, then I'd go with the RC-F.

Originally Posted by kdphan
I looked at the RCF briefly vs. ATS-V and a few other cars to replace my F80 M3.

RCF was the heaviest of the bunch and felt sluggish. Ended up with an ATS-V sedan and have been happy so far through 1500 miles. Be aware of road noise in the M cars. Not enough insulation from what I've experienced.

If I had to do it over again and dealers offered me an RCF for 59k I would've gotten that over my ATS-V. Such a great deal on RCF nowadays.
Old 02-15-16, 08:16 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I do. But that doesn't mean it would be the wrong car for YOU. I was looking for a proper GT car after the GTR let me down on that. The RC-F is the same thing: trying too hard to be a sports car when it's not. Too noisy for the crappy roads here in the desert southwest, suspension is very stiff for the performance it has (mostly too hard shocks, so not tuned properly, and it's castrated by a very mild front negative camber that is not adjustable), and it's not adjustable, like on the RC350 F-sport ( go figure). Cabin noise on normal freeways is okay, and I thought it wouldn't be that bad on crappier roads. It is MUCH worse. Suspension is tolerable to me, but not my wife. Even my buddy's McLaren is not as stiff. Nor the GTR, Vette, or any Porsche. And our last complaint is for long trips, the seat cushion is too hard. Took it to Big Bend, and I wouldn't take it any longer than that. My wife was extremely uncomfortable, and had to stop several times for her to walk a little. I decided on the RC-F vs a Cayman GTS because the Cayman was going to be stiff and loud. Should have bought that car instead. And if I decide on a GT car, will go with a more sure bet, like an M6, that I know will be quieter for sure, while it'd also perform better than the RC-F in every respect. Problem is it costs more, but if you want a quieter car in that price range, I'd look at the MB C63S, which also trounces the RC-F in every performance category, and it's quieter as well. If you want a coupe, it's coming this year. Try to drive one extensively to make sure it's the right car for you.

I think most other people will tell you it's the greatest car on earth, so beware of that. Lots of fanboys here, so few will point out the flaws. There're some real issues on some cars as well, which I attritube for being its first year. That was another mistake I made and never will repeat again. My car has a ton of rattles, and many other annoyances due to lack of quality control. If you want to consider it, drive a used one extensively so you don't make an $80K mistake, like I did. The car is great, especially for short trips. But not what I expected. I drove it enough, but not on the right asphalt, or long enough to find out about seat discomfort. Good luck.

You will never be satisfied on anything you own, it's you not the cars. I read your posts on the GTR forums as well and you had OCD issues with that car too. This car does everything OKAY, if you want get a GT3 RS and a Bentley but I know people who have Bentley's and guess what for 200k+ they have rattles too and have left them stranded. The fit and finish on this car is as good as my NSX and that car is one of the best I have owned regardless of price.

Ya get the C63 if you want to be in the shop, only good German car a P car.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c6...appointed.html

Last edited by Ryanmcd; 02-15-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 09:26 PM
aalaref
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No , this is what i was looking for ! a pure luxury sport car that I candepend on . a 4 seater car and reasonable price

I got it used with very low mileage for 10K cheaper

its fast enough for me i dont do tracks
Old 02-15-16, 10:36 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like you should have just got you a Z71 Truck & maybe added Nitrous, with all them Bad roads & stuff Probably wouldn't have all that cabin noise & stuff you speak of either
Old 02-15-16, 11:29 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

No ragrets! I bought two! Totaled the first one replaced with a second one brand new in 10 days. You'd regret not getting in on the deal!

Some going for $60k new now.

You have to appreciate it for what it is. Don't get hung up on M4 v ATS v C63 v RS5. It's a jack of all trades. If you use 9/10ths of the car it will fit the bill. At the extreme edge maybe it starts to have difficulty, but you have to have trade offs for every day driving. Which >99% of us do. If you believe Motor Trend, they performed within half a second on streets of willow (M4 v RC F). Not bad for such a heavy car and Lexus 1st attempt at a coupe over BMW decades of M cars.

Plus, Exclusive looks. Driving this car is like spotting a unicorn. How many Bimmers you see?

The V8 rumble is badassery

Last edited by LXSDO; 02-15-16 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 04:55 AM
kdu
Rookie

How do you like it from purely a performance orientation?
Old 02-16-16, 05:12 AM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by LXSDO
No ragrets! I bought two! Totaled the first one replaced with a second one brand new in 10 days. You'd regret not getting in on the deal!

Some going for $60k new now.

You have to appreciate it for what it is. Don't get hung up on M4 v ATS v C63 v RS5. It's a jack of all trades. If you use 9/10ths of the car it will fit the bill. At the extreme edge maybe it starts to have difficulty, but you have to have trade offs for every day driving. Which >99% of us do. If you believe Motor Trend, they performed within half a second on streets of willow (M4 v RC F). Not bad for such a heavy car and Lexus 1st attempt at a coupe over BMW decades of M cars.

Plus, Exclusive looks. Driving this car is like spotting a unicorn. How many Bimmers you see?

The V8 rumble is badassery
What was your key buying criteria?

Basically I know that esthetically inside and out I really love the car. Even my wife said that the BMW looked boring in comparison. The infotainment system is the only thing that really really stinks (IMO). The rest is very good or excellent. Basically, it comes down to performance and it's hard to really get a good gauge on it on test drives. The one thing that makes me hesitate the most is the fact that the car felt sluggish below 4000 which is to your point where I would keep it most of the time. I think maybe the Apexi TC could fix that?
Old 02-16-16, 06:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default No buyer remorse on RC-F

I have never looked back after my RC F purchase.

I bought the RCF to replace my aging 2006 MB SLK55AMG hardtop convertible which is still in excellent condition. But I needed more room during my long drives for business trips.

Love the RCF. I was going to buy it when it first came out November 2014. But no dealers in SoCal was really giving any great deals. So I waited and waited AND WAITED until late October last year a SLIGHTLY USED RCF WITH around 2k miles showed up in prestin condition at a large SoCal Lexus dealer. It was an official Lexus Certified vehicle and a clear title (not a lemon buy back or salvage title ). I wad told and subsequently shown (after I finished the purchase order paperwork ) prior owner's paperwork which an "elderly lady" with a Korean last name bought the new RCF and could not withstand the stiff ride/suspension and two weeks or so later returned back to the same Lexus dealer and traded for another new Lexus 460.

After some back and forth negotiations, we came to 59k plus TTL. It was all options except carbon and TVD. I saved around 15k.

Happy with the RCF.

Only issue was the active wing stuck, getting fixed right now.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by kdu
First post, but long time reader!

I have been looking for a fun, performance car and now debating between an M4 and the RC F. Had a terrible ownership experience with a BMW before. I like the Lexus a lot and leaning towards the RC F even though I like the way the M4 drives a bit better. However, there are many 2015 RC Fs left over on dealer lots and the deals seem to be very attractive. Plus, I'm nervous the BMW is going to be in the shop all the time which is what happened with my 335i.

I've read most if not all the "official" reviews and now want some actual owner feedback...

Does anyone have buyers remorse? Has the RC F grown on you or did the new car feeling wear off quickly? Has anyone else passed on an M4 for the RC F, if so why? Any regrets?
Old 02-16-16, 07:03 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
You will never be satisfied
Try the ignore feature, works great unless someone quotes the user

To answer the OPs question, even though I see people getting these new for 15-20k less than I did, I have no buyers remorse for this car. Less than I've ever had actually. It's the right car for me, but that's not saying it's the right car for you. Get some seat time, and see if you keep looking back at it when you park it There will be complaints for every new car, and the forums are where most people are going to voice them. Compared to other forums, the complaints here haven't been that bad other than some people having fuel pump issues. I haven't had a single issue, but I'm a fanboy so maybe the car just treats me better
Old 02-16-16, 07:16 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had two ISFs and now my RC F. The move to the RC F has been wonderful. This car has everything that I loved about the ISF, but corrected much of the things I disliked. Please read a writeup I did on a 2,200 mile road trip at the end of last summer, lots of good insight into the car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-the-rc-f.html

Yes, it is not the best performance car in it's group. Honestly, if you look at just the numbers though, the difference comes down to seconds or less. Yes I may track my car a few times a year, but I will never notice those small differences. The RC F is everything I want from a daily driver right now, outside of it not being a Porsche..... (that will come later ) I can't recommend the car enough, I am almost at 13,000 miles since last July and I love every moment behind the wheel.

Good luck on your decision, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the car, or to give you some other perspective.
Old 02-16-16, 07:48 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

Only at 2600 miles but the car has been better than my expectations for a car in this class. Could some minor things be improved, yes but that is with any car. No bad quirks, no squeaking, no erratic behavior, just a lot of fun. I mainly use voice commands to get around the less than ideal tracpad
Old 02-16-16, 08:30 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
What was your key buying criteria?

Basically I know that esthetically inside and out I really love the car. Even my wife said that the BMW looked boring in comparison. The infotainment system is the only thing that really really stinks (IMO). The rest is very good or excellent. Basically, it comes down to performance and it's hard to really get a good gauge on it on test drives. The one thing that makes me hesitate the most is the fact that the car felt sluggish below 4000 which is to your point where I would keep it most of the time. I think maybe the Apexi TC could fix that?
The great thing is that because it has this Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde behavior that allows comfortable daily driving. It keeps it low and easy to drive at low speed, but if you want to be a bat out of hell keep it in sport +. It doesn't shift pass 6th gear. This engine loves to be revved...and it sounds amazing. So you'll have the engine note and power when you want it. Drive in manual if you want more control.

Quick Reply: Need some input before I purchase. Anyone actually regret buying the RC F?