RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 04:10 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts
Default Steering wheel removal

Hi guys, I've searched and found no info on how to remove the steering wheel. It is a bit different from the IS-F as there are no screws behind the two side plastic covers. Does anyone here know how? I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-16, 04:23 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Hi guys, I've searched and found no info on how to remove the steering wheel. It is a bit different from the IS-F as there are no screws behind the two side plastic covers. Does anyone here know how? I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
I found this post awhile back on the 3rd gen IS. The wheels looks similar. Hell our interiors about the same. If you figure it out please post a diy at least pics of process.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/802775-diy-steering-wheel-installation.html
Old 02-12-16, 04:46 PM
JT2MA71

Awesome!! I did notice the pins! So I'm sure they're the same. I'll post a DIY with pictures
Thanks!

Last edited by JT2MA71; 05-30-17 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 07:39 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Awesome!! I did.notice notice the pins! So I'm sure they're the same. I'll post a DIY with pictures
Thanks!
Yeah dude. Keep us posted. Something I may do.
Old 02-13-16, 10:33 AM
JT2MA71

So here are some pictures I took during my removal and installation of the wheel. The quality of the DCTMS Carbon/Leather wheel is superb, equal to the quality of the factory wheel. Highly recommended
Slide the driver's seat back so that there's enough space for you to work on either side of the steering wheel.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. I waited 5 minutes, probably more than enough before starting with the removal.
Using a short flat tiny screwdriver, carefully pop the two side plastic covers off of the steering wheel. The right side goes through the cruise control stalk.

Upon removal of the two side covers, you'll see these spring pins on each side, push them slightly with a screwdriver and you'll notice the horn pad/airbag assembly pop away from the steering wheel, it is held in three positions.

This is after freeing the horn pad from the left side of the wheel.

The three white tapered deals with springs under them are how the assembly is held by the pins.

Carefully pry up the yellow locking tabs from the two airbag connectors.

This ground wire also has a small locking tab on it, press it down and the spade connector pulls off the airbag. Then set the airbag in a safe place. I took mine out of the car just in case
Old 02-13-16, 10:35 AM
JT2MA71

Mark the shaft to make sure the new wheel will be installed straight. Unplug the black and the white connector shown here above the center nut. The airbag wires will stay and slip through the hole on the upper center of the wheel.

After removing the center nut, either use a gear puller or just wiggle the wheel loose. Pull wheel out while guiding the airbag wires/connectors through the top hole.

Take pictures or remember how all the parts go on the wheel and start removing each part off starting with the paddle shifters held by 2 screws each.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 02-14-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 10:37 AM
JT2MA71

So from here it's just a matter of transferring everything over to the new wheel. Route the the airbag wires/connector through the opening on the wheel and install the wheel following the mark you made to make sure it's straight. Torque the center nut to 37 ft lbs. grasp the wheel to keep from turning while tightening the nut. Do not rely on the steering lock on keeping it from turning.

Reconnect the black and the white connectors, reconnect the air bag connectors and the ground wire. Carefully lower the airbag onto the wheel making sure no wires are pinched and press right where the 3 locking points are. Reconnect the negative battery cable and enjoy your new wheel!!

Last edited by JT2MA71; 02-14-16 at 04:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JT2MA71:
BossMoss (04-24-17), isfvss (09-25-17), Ne1tHeRe (05-30-17)
Old 02-13-16, 11:40 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Thanks! My one fear is when putting the wheel back on that the wheel is not dead center. Are there built in fail safes like ridges or something that keeps the wheel in place? I'd hate to install and find out its slightly turned left or right.

Any recommended torque?

Good job! This should be a sticky. Bet a bunch of folks gonna get some wheels from this vendor.
Old 02-13-16, 12:06 PM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Thanks! My one fear is when putting the wheel back on that the wheel is not dead center. Are there built in fail safes like ridges or something that keeps the wheel in place? I'd hate to install and find out its slightly turned left or right.

Any recommended torque?

Good job! This should be a sticky. Bet a bunch of folks gonna get some wheels from this vendor.
Oh yeah of course, the shaft is splined. Set the steering wheel straight before loosening the nut, mark the shaft relation to the wheel being straight and you should be good to go. Torque for the nut is 37 ft lbs.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 05-30-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-14-16, 04:53 AM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Not even sure if the functionality of heated steering wheel would still be intact but who cares I'm in Florida.
Old 05-29-17, 10:50 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Hey man, thanks for posting this. The wheel was a lot easier to take off than I thought. The wiring harness transfer was more a pain.

Took me a minute to decide to go ahead and do this.

Thanks Mod in Japan for 1 day shipping!

​​​​​One tip I want to share.
After loosening the bolt. Leave it on. Then you can really yank at the wheel and it comes off relatively easy. I pulled back on each side (top, bottom, left, right) with a short yanking motion.

The following 2 users liked this post by LXSDO:
JT2MA71 (05-30-17), ModInJapan (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 10:36 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Hey man, thanks for posting this. The wheel was a lot easier to take off than I thought. The wiring harness transfer was more a pain.

After loosening the bolt. Leave it on. Then you can really yank at the wheel and it comes off relatively easy. I pulled back on each side (top, bottom, left, right) with a short yanking motion.

very nice
The following users liked this post:
thollaway (07-07-20)
Old 05-30-17, 11:17 AM
kizzzm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I woul

I would also like to add that if you shake the steering wheel left and right it will loosen the wheel slowly. In my experience as a mechanic, an alignment will be needed after steering wheel replacement. The old and new steering wheels do not fit the same.
Old 05-30-17, 02:06 PM
rcho
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

kizzzim is 100% correct, I got the same steering wheel, and replace it on my GSF and the steering was off level like1.5degree, it bother me so much and I dont want anyone to touch the factory aligment yet, since car only have like under 3000 miles, I told the steering wheel off and put back Oem one, maybe one day when I need alignment i will swap it.
Old 05-30-17, 02:56 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by rcho
kizzzim is 100% correct, I got the same steering wheel, and replace it on my GSF and the steering was off level like1.5degree, it bother me so much and I dont want anyone to touch the factory aligment yet, since car only have like under 3000 miles, I told the steering wheel off and put back Oem one, maybe one day when I need alignment i will swap it.
My alignment seems alright. Is yours a Tom's wheel?
Fyi. 1 alignment is covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel removal