RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 10:45 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Issue is I haven't been able to drive it as much because of the weather!!! Only 400 miles on the ODO, can't wait any longer for break-in, I might have to rip her soon!
Old 02-10-16, 12:34 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
define wind noise?

all vehicles have wind noise when the front windows are down, the air buffets into the interior of the vehicle and has no escape.

In a sedan cracking the rear windows eliminates this issue, because now there is an escape.

in a coupe you don't have this option, some coupes are designed where the windows/doors are large enough that the airflow goes behind the drivers seat gets caught up in the rear seat and you don't get that much noise, but most coupes, the RCF included, the door ends at the seat so the wind gets caught up in the front of the cabin, not the rear.

The RCF is very quiet when the windows are up, my wife has even made mention of how quiet the interior is with the car sealed.

but open up the sun roof or windows and yeah it's noisy as hell.

oh yeah and 5,200 miles and the only issue I have is the squealing brakes, but it doesn't bother me at this point.
When I refer to wind noise I'm talking about with the windows up. In the GS with all the windows up the wind noise in the cabin is fairly loud, much louder than with any other Lexus I've ever owned (I've had 6 in the past 10 years). With the RCF there very minimal wind noise, it's almost completely silent which is what I expect from a Lexus in this price range.
Old 02-10-16, 02:10 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Only issue with mine is the breaks. I don't care what anybody else says...IN MY OPINION they sound like absolute crap. People have told me that I'm over exaggerating or that its "normal" for high performance breaks. I don't buy any of that. Somebody that spends $70-$80k on a car shouldn't have breaks that sound like they are off a 1985 bronco. It's absolutely embarrassing most times. I've had the pads changed to the ones lexus specifies on the TSB, but they're just as bad as the OEM pads. The only difference is the dust.

I've read that Lexus even bought back an RCF because of the break noise...im almost to that point. Other than that, absolutely love the car.
There is 100% a solution for this. You should have your dealer get rid of the breaks and have a set of brakes installed
Old 02-10-16, 02:19 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Only issue with mine is the breaks. I don't care what anybody else says...IN MY OPINION they sound like absolute crap. People have told me that I'm over exaggerating or that its "normal" for high performance breaks. I don't buy any of that. Somebody that spends $70-$80k on a car shouldn't have breaks that sound like they are off a 1985 bronco. It's absolutely embarrassing most times. I've had the pads changed to the ones lexus specifies on the TSB, but they're just as bad as the OEM pads. The only difference is the dust.

I've read that Lexus even bought back an RCF because of the break noise...im almost to that point. Other than that, absolutely love the car.
BRAKE..

not break

you break glass,

cars have brakes.

sorry but it bugs me.

aside from that, have you bedded your brakes? if not try it, it will fix the squeal issue.

the issue is noticeable on any car with brembo brakes using 100% metallic pads. I've owned 4 cars with various forms of brembos and they have all done this..

I've always swapped out to Hawk pads and as soon as Hawk comes out with some for the RCF I will switch, zero squeal, zero dust, and a life span of 40K miles vs. 12k - 15k on the Lexus OEM pads.

Last edited by mjeds; 02-10-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 06:03 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

NO issues that i know of (put CarboTech Pads on it, so No Squeal OR Dust) No issues with the Rear Spoiler (it stays UP All the time). No wind noise or squeaks in the Cabin. No issues with the Fuel Pump (knock on wood) but it still only has 2k miles on it.
Old 02-10-16, 09:50 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
NO issues that i know of (put CarboTech Pads on it, so No Squeal OR Dust) No issues with the Rear Spoiler (it stays UP All the time). No wind noise or squeaks in the Cabin. No issues with the Fuel Pump (knock on wood) but it still only has 2k miles on it.
Yep, spoiler up at all times. only way to roll. Only 2,000 miles? I am at 22,600 now. Car is not new anymore, but I swear it runs better now than new. Definitely pulls harder than ever.

Need new rear tires again . . . and brakes. Second set of tires, but I have some back roads by the house that provide about a mile of high speed drifting fun coming home late at night when no one is on the road. The car is actually pretty fun to drift and rotates well with throttle oversteer, but man it eats up tires quickly.
Old 02-11-16, 04:11 AM
asinow
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

4800 miles, no issues EXCEPT I do have wind noise....only when the gauge on my dash indicates 110mph
Old 02-11-16, 05:35 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
BRAKE..

not break

you break glass,

cars have brakes.

sorry but it bugs me.

aside from that, have you bedded your brakes? if not try it, it will fix the squeal issue.

the issue is noticeable on any car with brembo brakes using 100% metallic pads. I've owned 4 cars with various forms of brembos and they have all done this..

I've always swapped out to Hawk pads and as soon as Hawk comes out with some for the RCF I will switch, zero squeal, zero dust, and a life span of 40K miles vs. 12k - 15k on the Lexus OEM pads.
I've bedded my breaks, had Lexus swap the breaks out and had Lexus thoroughly clean the breaks. Haha, sorry...brakes I mean. But that bugs me too, surprised I made that grammar error.

I can understand "some" squeaking being normal but what I am hearing is not just "some". It is terrible. I'll video it soon and post to get others input. I was thinking about asking that they replace the brake pads again and also the rotors.

As far as Hawk pads, I'd rather not use anything aftermarket....but maybe that thought will change.
Old 02-11-16, 01:39 PM
SleepKing
Driver School Candidate

I've bedded my breaks, had Lexus swap the breaks out and had Lexus thoroughly clean the breaks. Haha, sorry...brakes I mean. But that bugs me too, surprised I made that grammar error.

I can understand "some" squeaking being normal but what I am hearing is not just "some". It is terrible. I'll video it soon and post to get others input. I was thinking about asking that they replace the brake pads again and also the rotors.

As far as Hawk pads, I'd rather not use anything aftermarket....but maybe that thought will change.
There is a TSB for the brakes, your dealer should be able to look it up. I actually just got them replaced last week with the new updated brakes. They replaced them with no questions asked. I was even surprised that they had the new part #'s available in stock.

The new ones are a world's of a difference. Zero squeaking, and zero dust. I've even did a little bit of brake bedding and dead stops just to test and I've seen no difference in braking power. Been driving it for over a week now with 50mi commutes per day. Wheels are still clean as the day they washed it for me before returning my car.

Oh and as far as issues goes: I'm at 11k mi with zero issues (knock on wood). For reference, I commute 50mi per day driving normal/moderately (unless I see a 3 series), and smash it on the weekends.
Old 02-11-16, 02:46 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Yep, spoiler up at all times. only way to roll. Only 2,000 miles? I am at 22,600 now. Car is not new anymore, but I swear it runs better now than new. Definitely pulls harder than ever.

Need new rear tires again . . . and brakes. Second set of tires, but I have some back roads by the house that provide about a mile of high speed drifting fun coming home late at night when no one is on the road. The car is actually pretty fun to drift and rotates well with throttle oversteer, but man it eats up tires quickly.
Hey Buddy, sounds like you're having too much fun on those late nite spirited runs I really thought i'd put a lot more miles on mine too but i do have my Other Babies that like their attention to
Did you go back with the original tires or have you tried any kind of a Drag Radial or something different? Do you have any other cars in your stable at the moment or are you devoting all your time just to the RCF
Old 02-12-16, 03:33 AM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

1500 mi

F' ing Brake squeal !!!
Got an appointment next week.
Old 02-12-16, 07:08 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by SleepKing
There is a TSB for the brakes, your dealer should be able to look it up. I actually just got them replaced last week with the new updated brakes. They replaced them with no questions asked. I was even surprised that they had the new part #'s available in stock.

The new ones are a world's of a difference. Zero squeaking, and zero dust. I've even did a little bit of brake bedding and dead stops just to test and I've seen no difference in braking power. Been driving it for over a week now with 50mi commutes per day. Wheels are still clean as the day they washed it for me before returning my car.

Oh and as far as issues goes: I'm at 11k mi with zero issues (knock on wood). For reference, I commute 50mi per day driving normal/moderately (unless I see a 3 series), and smash it on the weekends.
I had my pads swapped out in reference to that TSB, but the squeaking is still just as bad. The brake dust has gone completely away however.
Old 02-12-16, 11:31 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

thing is your Brembos are aftermarket in a sense.. They are not made by Lexus, neither are the pads that Lexus uses, they are third party with Lexus logo on them.

I am not sure what the approval process Lexus uses for the privilege of stamping the part with the Lexus name, but I have been an ASE tech and worked on and around cars most of my life and there many aftermarket products that are far superior to OEM products out there. Suspension components, brake pads and rotors are the most common.

Realize that from an OEM stand point Lexus wants to have the best part for the best price, that doesn't mean it is the best part or the best price just that it meets some bean counters formula for being so.

If a car manufacturer was to use the best components for their vehicle without reference to the cost I bet our vehicles would cost $250,000 plus.

For mass production they compromise and more often than not performance and quality are what suffers in the compromise for price.

OEM Brembo pads have a life of about 12K-15K miles regardless of the vehicle make and model, The OEM pads on the RCF are identical to the OEM pads on the Camaro ZL1, the only difference I see is the Lexus name.

The pad material and design is identical, and the ZL1 suffers the same squeal and dust issue that the RCF does. As does the Challenger, Corvette, Mercedes, Cadillac, Viper, Mustang, Ferrari, and GT-R all of which use the exact same 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers and same pads that the RC F uses.

The Hawk pads I put on my Camaro lasted me over 30K no dust, no squeal. I lost no braking ability for daily driving, as a matter of fact the brake fade I experienced with the OEM pads doing a hard stop from 100mph to 0mph when I was bedding the brakes wasn't there with the hawk pads..

While I am sure I lost some track performance with them, I didn't track the car it was a daily driver so I bought street pads that were designed for stop and go and the occasional hard braking, not track pads which are designed for hard braking and high heat commonly found in track driving.
Old 02-12-16, 12:44 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brakes squeal - haven't had the TSB done. The homelink will not open our older garage door (our 2015 Audi will). Local dealer sent a tech over 100 miles to my house and couldn't fix the garage door issue (props to the dealer for trying!). No other issues. 20K miles.

BTW, why is the RCF the "dark side"?!
Old 02-12-16, 11:15 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Rattles everywhere. Very un-Lexus-like. Car is also noisy as hell on crappy TX roads. Never driven to Big Bend before, but the noise was deafening. My ears were ringing when we finally got to Study Butte. And when it's windy, there's wind leak at the rear of the windows. But the rattles and road noise roar drown it out. Even had to turn the stereo off. No sense in trying to make even more noise. Ha ha. Very disappointed at the build quality, to be honest. But thankfully, no dead battery or anything else during my 3-day trip.

Quick Reply: RCF issues?