RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

DCTMS Carbon Steering Wheel Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 07:38 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Recommended SoCal installer?

I just got mine. Prompt shipping! Came in great shape as expected.

Any installer recommendations in the LA area? Was hoping I could do this myself, but thought I'd play it safe. Lexus dealers would be fine as well so long as no surprises. Thank you.

***2/8 update***

I got the steering wheel installed at Lexus of Santa Monica via service advisor, Doug Elliott, as recommended by member mjeds. I want to thank him for the referral as Doug well exceeded by expectations on approving this aftermarket part install and making me feel like I've been a loyal customer of his for years on end from handshake. I'm definitely going to him for all my service needs.

Relative to what I've purchased in the past, the DCTMS wheel meets OEM quality without question based on initial observation. My reference point is the 997 GT3, the carbon Porsche factory option on my previous C4S, and a Kahn Range Rover steering wheel that cost more than double the DCTMS with inferior fit/finish. The non-perforated, smooth leather is very LFA.

I really didn't like the soft, plump feel of the stock RCF wheel. I dislike steering wheel shiny patina. I much prefer the firmer grip in the leather parts of this carbon/leather combo like the Porsche factory wheels. It makes the whole driving experience feel more alive is the best way I can put it. The DCTMS wheel also photographs thicker than actual. It also looks slightly smaller and much sportier than the stock wheel.

I wouldn't hesitate to give this company my business, again. Thank you.

Last edited by CYKBC; 02-08-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 04:25 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

I found this post awhile back on the 3rd gen IS. The wheels looks similar. Hell our interiors about the same. Please provide any specifics on install for the RCF

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/802775-diy-steering-wheel-installation.html
Old 02-12-16, 09:32 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
I just got mine. Prompt shipping! Came in great shape as expected.

Any installer recommendations in the LA area? Was hoping I could do this myself, but thought I'd play it safe. Lexus dealers would be fine as well so long as no surprises. Thank you.

***2/8 update***

I got the steering wheel installed at Lexus of Santa Monica via service advisor, Doug Elliott, as recommended by member mjeds. I want to thank him for the referral as Doug well exceeded by expectations on approving this aftermarket part install and making me feel like I've been a loyal customer of his for years on end from handshake. I'm definitely going to him for all my service needs.

Relative to what I've purchased in the past, the DCTMS wheel meets OEM quality without question based on initial observation. My reference point is the 997 GT3, the carbon Porsche factory option on my previous C4S, and a Kahn Range Rover steering wheel that cost more than double the DCTMS with inferior fit/finish. The non-perforated, smooth leather is very LFA.

I really didn't like the soft, plump feel of the stock RCF wheel. I dislike steering wheel shiny patina. I much prefer the firmer grip in the leather parts of this carbon/leather combo like the Porsche factory wheels. It makes the whole driving experience feel more alive is the best way I can put it. The DCTMS wheel also photographs thicker than actual. It also looks slightly smaller and much sportier than the stock wheel.

I wouldn't hesitate to give this company my business, again. Thank you.

I just installed mine today. Thanks to LXSDO for the link!
CYKBC, looking at your picture, your airbag/horn pad doesn't look like it's popped all the way in on the bottom part. Mine initially was like that and I thought I should push it in some more and sure enough, it popped right in and eliminated the gap. The top part of the airbag/horn pad should be level or flush with the silver trim.
Old 08-14-16, 02:13 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Those of you that have installed this wheel, is it perfectly centered? I installed one today on my girlfriends RC and the teeth don't line up to top dead center. I tried it both sides of center by 1 tooth and can't get it to line up perfectly. I took it off and put the OEM wheel back on and it's perfectly vertical. This isn't my first time installing my steering wheel BTW, I have one of these on my 2IS that lined up perfectly. I'm wondering if the wheel I received is "off".. I'll be calling DCTMS on monday. I installed the wheel just a hair to the left because of the crown of the road and when driving it, the wheel is just left of center. Can this be corrected with an alignment? Any feedback
would be appreciated.

this is the wheel on the steering stem. Stem perfectly centered while the wheel is on. One pic is 1 tooth to the left of center and the other is 1 tooth to the right of the first attempt.

Old 08-14-16, 05:28 PM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Must be a problem with the spline hub on the wheel - my wheel centered perfectly!
Old 08-14-16, 10:13 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by skipetenj
Must be a problem with the spline hub on the wheel - my wheel centered perfectly!
that's what I'm thinking. I just hope DCTMS will be accomodating. I purchased this wheel a few months back for my girlfriends birthday which just passed. I hope they don't stipulate some return/exchange policy against me. I just want it right. I love the wheel.
Old 08-15-16, 06:34 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
that's what I'm thinking. I just hope DCTMS will be accomodating. I purchased this wheel a few months back for my girlfriends birthday which just passed. I hope they don't stipulate some return/exchange policy against me. I just want it right. I love the wheel.
Not all the wheels line up. This is normal. My third wheel on 2 ISFs and 1 RCF. One lined up, the others didnt. Take it for an alignment and they can center the wheel.
Old 08-15-16, 07:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^+1 - This is the correct advice.

Lou
Old 08-15-16, 09:33 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

I called today to DCTMS and was told this, so that's what I'll do. My IS lined up perfect.

Here's the finished product.

Old 08-16-16, 05:23 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The people above gave you the correct advice. Alignment shop can straighten the wheel. Mine didn't line up either. Here is my wheel on my RCF. I took mine and had it redone the way I wanted it.

Old 08-16-16, 07:05 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
The people above gave you the correct advice. Alignment shop can straighten the wheel. Mine didn't line up either. Here is my wheel on my RCF. I took mine and had it redone the way I wanted it.

Right on thanks for the info. Going to get it done this weekend. Were you referring to your steering wheel getting redone? It looks sick! Is that the mid piece they sell as well with the f logo on it? They want way too much for that piece IMO. But I do wish I had it. In either finish, silver or CF
Old 08-16-16, 09:11 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually put the F Emblem on myself. And I had the side leather refinished in Alcantara with the red stripe on top.

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Right on thanks for the info. Going to get it done this weekend. Were you referring to your steering wheel getting redone? It looks sick! Is that the mid piece they sell as well with the f logo on it? They want way too much for that piece IMO. But I do wish I had it. In either finish, silver or CF
Old 08-16-16, 09:43 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
I actually put the F Emblem on myself. And I had the side leather refinished in Alcantara with the red stripe on top.
I dig it. Very nice work. Would you mind sharing where you got that emblem from? I've tried ordering the one that's embedded into the steering wheel but Lexus says it comes with the steering wheel and can't separate it.
Old 08-16-16, 10:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^When I had DCTMS make my ISF steering wheel, I removed the F emblem from my wheel and sent it to DCTMS to install on my new wheel. A member here (with a 2IS) become interested in my old wheel, without the emblem, and he ultimately bought it. He found someone who made an "F" emblem for him. The member's handle (name) is "Todd Edge" You may want to send him a PM and ask him about it.

Lou
Old 08-16-16, 10:55 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Thanks flowrider

Quick Reply: DCTMS Carbon Steering Wheel Review