RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Resonator Delete (with Videos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 01:46 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyz10
I don't know man but that si what the guy told me from Borla here in Cali. I don't want to mention his name as it is not nice.
Ask any Borla owner here, guaranteed no CEL
The following users liked this post:
joeyz10 (03-25-17)
Old 03-28-17, 09:18 AM
joeyz10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally took the plunge too and did my resonator delete yesterday. The sound is awesome, just enough loudness not too obnoxious and to be honest I don't know if it's my head but it definitely is faster. Pulls harder! I love this mod. The muffler shop told me " as much as we want to sell you some products so we will make money we really think this is more than enough loudness " .
Old 03-28-17, 07:49 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I finally took the plunge too and did my resonator delete yesterday. The sound is awesome, just enough loudness not too obnoxious and to be honest I don't know if it's my head but it definitely is faster. Pulls harder! I love this mod. The muffler shop told me " as much as we want to sell you some products so we will make money we really think this is more than enough loudness " .
did they replace with stainless pipes or standard exhaust metal? How much did you pay? Pictures?
Old 03-28-17, 08:10 PM
joeyz10
Driver School Candidate

They replaced it with Aluminum which will not rust. This is a short video of a cold start this morning. As you can tell I don't want to rev it that much so the neighbors will not call the HOA...

Last edited by joeyz10; 03-28-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 08:36 PM
joeyz10
Driver School Candidate

Another video of my resonator delete. Muffler guy charged me 130.00

Last edited by joeyz10; 03-28-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 12:44 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

They replaced it with Aluminum which will not rust.
Aluminum? How did they weld the aluminum pipe to the stainless pipe? It's not exactly an easy, or cheap, process. If not done correctly the weld area will be extremely brittle and it will most likely break in a very short time from shock/vibration.

I wonder if you are mistaken about the aluminum?
Old 03-29-17, 01:25 PM
joeyz10
Driver School Candidate

Might be mistaken. Not sure
Old 03-29-17, 04:01 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Aluminum? How did they weld the aluminum pipe to the stainless pipe? It's not exactly an easy, or cheap, process. If not done correctly the weld area will be extremely brittle and it will most likely break in a very short time from shock/vibration.

I wonder if you are mistaken about the aluminum?
Might be mistaken. Not sure
no way it's aluminum, aluminum has a melting point of 660°, exhaust piping temps can be between 700° and 1200°

Then there is the heat cycle issue. Mild steel survives being hot-then-cold-then-hot-then-cold better than aluminum.
Stainless steel resists heat cycling better than mild steel (especially grade 409 & Grade 310 stainless) than mild steel

Last edited by mjeds; 03-29-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 06:04 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

https://youtu.be/R4rbEZnvwUk
Another video of my resonator delete. Muffler guy charged me 130.00
great sound. THANKYOU for sharing?
now to find someone to do mine fornless than 200
Old 03-29-17, 07:34 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
no way it's aluminum, aluminum has a melting point of 660°, exhaust piping temps can be between 700° and 1200°

Then there is the heat cycle issue. Mild steel survives being hot-then-cold-then-hot-then-cold better than aluminum.
Stainless steel resists heat cycling better than mild steel (especially grade 409 & Grade 310 stainless) than mild steel
I don't know if the temps at the resonators will reach 660 degrees though. At the headers, sure. I know that you can safely use 500 degree paint on your tips and muffler cans because they don't get that hot. But I still wouldn't use aluminum.
Old 03-29-17, 08:13 PM
Sneakerboy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am definitely considering doing this. Does anyone have a drive-by video?
Old 03-30-17, 10:09 AM
Sneakerboy
Rookie

has anyone compared this to an invidia exhaust? I don't want something obnoxiously loud. Just a little throaty. I have heard the invidia and i think it has great sound. Not to much not to less. Just wanted to see if there are any opinions since I'm solely basing this off videos.
raerae1616 (04-04-17)
Old 03-31-17, 07:05 PM
joeyz10
Driver School Candidate

I changed my air filter to K&N today. I think my exhaust is sounding even louder. Not sure if it is related or not but definitely my exhaust is louder and noticeable. I won"t go louder than what I did. Try it and if you want it louder then you can get the Borla.
Old 04-03-17, 10:36 AM
Sneakerboy
Rookie

I just did this over the weekend. Perfect for anyone looking for a level that is slightly deeper in tone than our stock exhaust. I will be uploading videos but if you are worried that it might be too loud there is no way. It is just perfect. I too was scared that it might be too loud and obnoxious however it is just enough. Just for clarification they cut out the resonators (4 Cuts) and installed 2.5" pipes (4 Welds). Very simple and it took about 45 minutes. I was charged $150 which seems to be just the max everyone is being charged but I went to a reputable shop so I was okay with paying that amount. I will be uploading videos later this week but if you are worried that it will be too loud do not worry at all. It sounds just like it should've stock.
raerae1616 (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 06:00 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sneakerboy
I just did this over the weekend. Perfect for anyone looking for a level that is slightly deeper in tone than our stock exhaust. I will be uploading videos but if you are worried that it might be too loud there is no way. It is just perfect. I too was scared that it might be too loud and obnoxious however it is just enough. Just for clarification they cut out the resonators (4 Cuts) and installed 2.5" pipes (4 Welds). Very simple and it took about 45 minutes. I was charged $150 which seems to be just the max everyone is being charged but I went to a reputable shop so I was okay with paying that amount. I will be uploading videos later this week but if you are worried that it will be too loud do not worry at all. It sounds just like it should've stock.
thx dude. You have pics of the install? Did they replace with stainless steel or "regular exhaust" metal pipe?

Quick Reply: Resonator Delete (with Videos)