RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 03:35 PM
kdphan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
There's a second reason: According to a few comments I've read, some Lexus dealerships (probably under orders from Lexus) are not replacing pumps unless they fail. If true, that'd be absolutely stupid. And a reason to carry a spare if you travel a lot.

I only had one BMW, an E92 M3, and had to sell it due to bad engine main bearings. Didn't want to deal with a rebuilt engine. But that doesn't in any way justify the issues we're having on the RC-F now. It's a joke having fuel pump issue problems on a freaking port injection low-pressure pump when they've been in production for decades. And then Lexus not doing anything about it because it's not a safety issue. Then the multiple rattles my car has since new is nothing to laugh at. They have quality-control issues, whether the fanboys here admit it or not. You just don't expect that from an $80K car (in my case), period. My parking brake was barely engaging, as well as other issues that should have never reach the customer. So it's not only the factory, but dealership (PDI) as well. Hopefully Lexus reads forums like this, and eventually does something about it. Have a great day.
oh god rattles...

that was one of the things that drove me nuts in my M3.

There comes a point when you make the car too light and it's missing insulation and such...
Old 01-16-16, 11:33 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Rattles, lol. Dude is on crack. I have over 20,000 miles since March and I drove it like I stole it since day one. No rattles. No issues other than tail getting stuck up right after I got it, but I now leave tail up 24/7 anyway.

In the last 15 years and before the RC-F my daily drivers were a 993tt, 2 996tts, a 997tt and an M3. I have also had a fair amount of Italians, various GT3s and an Elise since that time.

The BMW was by far the biggest hunk of pathetic junk ever, well the Lotus did have 3 trannies and an engine replaced under warranty, but I used the Lotus to instruct in since it had 2 seats and my cup cars don't. I will give the Lotus a pass because that thing had in excess of 100 track days on it.

The BMW had no excuses so I will gladly bestow it that title. I have never had any issues with Porsche turbos or the GTs. They are rock solid and bullet proof mechanically and electronically. Only had to replace an instrument cluster in my 2001 txt when the tail stopped going up. Even the Italians are bullet proof and better quality than a BMW.

Lol, people apparently purchase BMWs because they think a BMW will make them cool or sonething, but does anyone really like them or is that all they have driven? They just ain't all that and the looks are just plain tired. They need a drastic face lift . . . and they really do suck maintenance wise, especially if you plan to keep it beyond the warranty. Once they warranty goes out, watch out . . . so will everything else on it.

Oh, and nearly everyone I know that finally smartened up and got over some silly perceived status symbol thingy and got rid of their Bimmers (albeit with a few miles on them) generally agree they are annoying junk.

Last edited by DougHII; 01-16-16 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 12:09 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
you wont win a BMW vs LEXUS reliability argument in this forum. I like BMWs but it seems you like to have something to complain about. BMW should give you plenty. I have worked at BMW for a total of 5 years and still have friends that are certified techs. BMWS FOR THE MOST PART ARE IN THE SHOP TWICE AS MUCH AS OTHER CARS. Their parts departments are 3 to 4 times larger than a Lexus parts dept. and do you know why...... because the break and nickel and dime you to death. Not bragging but my uncle is worth a million or 3. He is an avid BMW owner he refuses to own one past the warranty. And the same goes for his brother.
Yep, a good friend of mine works on European cars and builds race cars. He primarily does body work and restorations on super high end like old full wings and etc. He always says he can have a lot full of cars and the only one out there that will not start will be a BMW. There are some Audi models also that can be a complete disaster after 30,000 or 40,000 miles.

The fuel pump issue is a weird one, but does not appear near the level of what BMW experienced with its high pressure fuel pump.

You guys getting freaked out over a noise should spend less time on the net and chillax a bit. Lol, I thought I heard "the noise" on that video posted up in here 8 or 9 months ago when I only had a couple thousand miles, but 18,000 miles later car is running stronger now than it did when new.

Without a doubt, my engine at 20,000 miles revs better and is more responsive now than when new. The fuel pump is a weird one because I thin it is secondary to something because the same cars are having multiple failures, but most are not.

Perhaps it is those of us with the throttle positions at constantly at 90% are keeping those things clear, but those grannying around in economy/normal modes driving it like a Lexus are not . . .
Old 01-16-16, 05:22 PM
FLexusFan
Driver School Candidate

I bought my RCF a few weeks ago have 3k miles on it zero problems and I love this car. It puts a smile on my face everyday.
Old 01-18-16, 03:29 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Rattles, lol. Dude is on crack. I have over 20,000 miles since March and I drove it like I stole it since day one. No rattles. No issues other than tail getting stuck up right after I got it, but I now leave tail up 24/7 anyway.

In the last 15 years and before the RC-F my daily drivers were a 993tt, 2 996tts, a 997tt and an M3. I have also had a fair amount of Italians, various GT3s and an Elise since that time.

The BMW was by far the biggest hunk of pathetic junk ever, well the Lotus did have 3 trannies and an engine replaced under warranty, but I used the Lotus to instruct in since it had 2 seats and my cup cars don't. I will give the Lotus a pass because that thing had in excess of 100 track days on it.

The BMW had no excuses so I will gladly bestow it that title. I have never had any issues with Porsche turbos or the GTs. They are rock solid and bullet proof mechanically and electronically. Only had to replace an instrument cluster in my 2001 txt when the tail stopped going up. Even the Italians are bullet proof and better quality than a BMW.

Lol, people apparently purchase BMWs because they think a BMW will make them cool or sonething, but does anyone really like them or is that all they have driven? They just ain't all that and the looks are just plain tired. They need a drastic face lift . . . and they really do suck maintenance wise, especially if you plan to keep it beyond the warranty. Once they warranty goes out, watch out . . . so will everything else on it.

Oh, and nearly everyone I know that finally smartened up and got over some silly perceived status symbol thingy and got rid of their Bimmers (albeit with a few miles on them) generally agree they are annoying junk.
You and i think the same! i am going to use this the next time someone cross shops me with a bmw.
Old 01-18-16, 10:22 PM
kdphan
Driver

Please tell me what Lexus has brought to the table that competed against the M3/M5 and is as fun? Although BMW is no longer the best in the compact sports sedan/coupe segement, Lexus didn't really come prepared with the RCF.

e46M3 generation - nothing
E9xM3 generation - ISF couldn't keep up until the last year or so of the generation
F8XM3/M4 - RCF to compete against the M4. Apparently, RCF is doing so well that dealers are offering at least 8k off before the 5k rebate. M3/M4 has no issues getting off the showroom. There's even not enough allocation.

But anyway, i'm not really here to defend the M3/M4 as I traded it in for an ATS-V. But it gets tiring after awhile seeing people post uninformed crap about other manufactures because of hearsay.
Old 01-18-16, 10:26 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kdphan
Please tell me what Lexus has brought to the table that competed against the M3/M5 and is as fun? Although BMW is no longer the best in the compact sports sedan/coupe segement, Lexus didn't really come prepared with the RCF.

E9xM3 generation - ISF couldn't keep up until the last year or so of the generation
F8XM3/M4 - RCF to compete against the M4. Apparently, RCF is doing so well that dealers are offering at least 8k off before the 5k rebate. M3/M4 has no issues getting off the showroom. There's even not enough allocation.

But anyway, i'm not really here to defend the M3/M4 as I traded it in for an ATS-V. But it gets tiring after awhile seeing people post uninformed crap about other manufactures because of hearsay.
Old 01-19-16, 01:19 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

???

RE: Performance

I chuckle at you bench racer types that focus on slight differences in spec sheets. Seriously, most of you guys obsessed with minor differences in spec sheets have no seat time on a race track, have no car control skills and cannot even approach 9/10ths in any car. The negligible differences in performance between the RCF and an M4 won't matter if you don't have the skill to drive either car at or near the limits. In fact, most of you guys would be quicker in the RCF on a race track due to manner in which the cars are set up.

RE: RCF "competes" with M series

I am no neophyte when it comes to high end sports cars. I began racing Porsches in the early 80s and raced professionally until recently, but still have a GT3 Cup and a GT3.

I am not easily impressed by cars. I had an M3 and others ranging from a CGT purchased new, a slew of air and water cooled turbos, GT2/3s, RSs, every Ferrari V8 from the 348 to the 458 including a CS and a 458 Challenge.

The RCF is a fabulous car that does everything well at a reasonable price. I use mine as a daily driver and it always puts a smile on my face.

I could buy any BMW, but I chose the RCF after a short stint with an M3 I used as a daily driver. Why? Too many issues with the M3, the Bimmers need a facelift and are looking bland.

The RCF was a new and exciting look. I had never considered a Lexus. Didn't like them. Thought they were bland and boring. I needed something with a larger back seat than a Porsxhe turbo to accommodate my 4 year old. I Gave Lexus a try and I am glad I did. The RCF is a great car.

RE: Demand

Lexus is entering a new market and trying to appeal to a different class of purchasers. I, like many other high end sports car purchasers, never considered Lexus as an option. This transition will not happen overnight.

Lol, at you purchasing a Caddie over a Bimmer and wanting to talk down about an RCF. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but common. Dem Caddies are just plain ugly.
Old 01-19-16, 07:35 AM
maddave
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

gotta disagree
Old 01-19-16, 08:08 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maddave

gotta disagree
The coupe is weird looking from the side. 4 doors makes it look better, IMO.
Old 01-19-16, 08:56 AM
kdphan
Driver

???

RE: Performance

I chuckle at you bench racer types that focus on slight differences in spec sheets. Seriously, most of you guys obsessed with minor differences in spec sheets have no seat time on a race track, have no car control skills and cannot even approach 9/10ths in any car. The negligible differences in performance between the RCF and an M4 won't matter if you don't have the skill to drive either car at or near the limits. In fact, most of you guys would be quicker in the RCF on a race track due to manner in which the cars are set up.

RE: RCF "competes" with M series

I am no neophyte when it comes to high end sports cars. I began racing Porsches in the early 80s and raced professionally until recently, but still have a GT3 Cup and a GT3.

I am not easily impressed by cars. I had an M3 and others ranging from a CGT purchased new, a slew of air and water cooled turbos, GT2/3s, RSs, every Ferrari V8 from the 348 to the 458 including a CS and a 458 Challenge.

The RCF is a fabulous car that does everything well at a reasonable price. I use mine as a daily driver and it always puts a smile on my face.

I could buy any BMW, but I chose the RCF after a short stint with an M3 I used as a daily driver. Why? Too many issues with the M3, the Bimmers need a facelift and are looking bland.

The RCF was a new and exciting look. I had never considered a Lexus. Didn't like them. Thought they were bland and boring. I needed something with a larger back seat than a Porsxhe turbo to accommodate my 4 year old. I Gave Lexus a try and I am glad I did. The RCF is a great car.

RE: Demand

Lexus is entering a new market and trying to appeal to a different class of purchasers. I, like many other high end sports car purchasers, never considered Lexus as an option. This transition will not happen overnight.

Lol, at you purchasing a Caddie over a Bimmer and wanting to talk down about an RCF. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but common. Dem Caddies are just plain ugly.
no need to go into racing history and such. My response wasn't an attack on anything.

I'm just stating a fact that a lot of people spew out euro performance cars are unreliable and blah blah blah. I'm just on the other side of the fence giving my experience. My euro car ownership has been flawless after many cars.

I drove the RCF many times when deciding if I wanted to purchase/lease. Even with 12-13k off MSRP, I just couldn't justify the lease/purchase since I was not impressed with how it drove. The power delivery reminded me of my e92m3 but the m3 was more responsive. It could be due to the 6spd manual I had vs. the 8spd in the RCF. I think some people mentioned they don't really feel the weight of the RCF, they're lying. The weight reminded me of my wife's GS350 F sport. At the end of the day, I drove home with my M3 and then eventually the ATS-V about 6 months later.

As far as the caddy, here's how the sedan looks in phantom grey (google pics). So...you're bashing a car that's different and you're driving a car that has polarizing style? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder indeed. I don't recall saying anything about how the RCF looks.

I guess some people don't take it lightly that another person chooses another car over his beloved car? I decided between the ATS-V, CTS-V and RCF to replace the M3. At the end of the day, the ATS-V made the most sense. Great price with all the options I wanted. It's comfy as a 2nd family sedan and also happens to be track ready. The RCF felt heavy and wasn't as responsive as the ATS-V or even my M3. The ATS-V was the better car for me and that's really all there is in this argument.

Last edited by kdphan; 01-19-16 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 09:33 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I disagree KDphan, you constantly being in the RC F forum saying other cars are better seems like an attack. Don't you have better things to do...like drive your Caddie? Does it bother you we like our car?

RC F doesn't compete? Apparently it does, Lexus got my money and not BMW or Cadillac. Track times are pretty close. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from DougHII. I have little experience driving powerful cars, so I wanted my dream car I could feel in control of. I did not want to be one of the people you see with the Mustang wrapped around a tree. I did not want crazy oversteer. The RC F puts down it's power safely and launches quickly. I've seen quite a few videos of RC-F beating faster cars because it puts down it's power better. That's what mattered to me. One of the chief engineers said they wanted a car beginners to professionals can drive safely and have fun in. That's what is special about the RC F. Not to mention I just don't want anything to do with anything less than a Lexus Dealer.
Old 01-19-16, 09:53 AM
kdphan
Driver

Originally Posted by Frog98
I disagree KDphan, you constantly being in the RC F forum saying other cars are better seems like an attack. Don't you have better things to do...like drive your Caddie? Does it bother you we like our car?

RC F doesn't compete? Apparently it does, Lexus got my money and not BMW or Cadillac. Track times are pretty close. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from DougHII. I have little experience driving powerful cars, so I wanted my dream car I could feel in control of. I did not want to be one of the people you see with the Mustang wrapped around a tree. I did not want crazy oversteer. The RC F puts down it's power safely and launches quickly. I've seen quite a few videos of RC-F beating faster cars because it puts down it's power better. That's what mattered to me. One of the chief engineers said they wanted a car beginners to professionals can drive safely and have fun in. That's what is special about the RC F. Not to mention I just don't want anything to do with anything less than a Lexus Dealer.
I'm on CL because I still have a GS350 and was looking into the RCF for awhile but decided to get something else because it was better for me overall. And we got into this topic because somebody(s) started spewing crap about how euro cars are unreliable and I gave them my ownership experience and how flawless it has been. And to say that people buy BMWs to get a certain status has to be the stupidest thing I've heard. This is the type of mindset that keeps others from coming back to CL. No wonder people on bimmerpost keep mentioning how defensive some of the posters are on CL. Some guys can't take other people's opinion without being insulted and defensive

I'm not sure where you're seeing that i'm attacking the RCF. If you read closely, all I've mentioned was that the RCF felt heavy when I drove it and I didn't like it. This was over a 6 month period. RCF is a great car, but I found a car that was better for me. That's all there is...
Old 01-19-16, 10:20 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on CL because I still have a GS350 and was looking into the RCF for awhile but decided to get something else because it was better for me overall. And we got into this topic because somebody(s) started spewing crap about how euro cars are unreliable and I gave them my ownership experience and how flawless it has been. And to say that people buy BMWs to get a certain status has to be the stupidest thing I've heard. This is the type of mindset that keeps others from coming back to CL. No wonder people on bimmerpost keep mentioning how defensive some of the posters are on CL. Some guys can't take other people's opinion without being insulted and defensive

I'm not sure where you're seeing that i'm attacking the RCF. If you read closely, all I've mentioned was that the RCF felt heavy when I drove it and I didn't like it. This was over a 6 month period. RCF is a great car, but I found a car that was better for me. That's all there is...
I thought you said its your wifes car? I can count on one hand the amount of times I've gone on Audizine (My wifes car) or better yet how many times I've posted there (0). Congrats on your ATS-V that thing is fast and handles great but the interior is god awful. American car companies are notorious for cost cutting on materials to offset paying American salaries and benefits....fit and finish continues to be subpar.
Old 01-19-16, 10:21 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you freaking kidding me? People on bimmer forums are the most defensive of their purchases. TRY POSTING ON THERE THAT THE M4/M3 HAS ISSUES WITH LAUNCHING AND OTHER CRAP, similar to what you are saying with the heaviness of the RC-F and lets see what kind of reactions you get. I own European cars as well and I am familiar with their reliability. Its hit and miss more so than Lexus. Go back to bimmerpost if you are offended like a little kid..

Quick Reply: RC F Reliability