RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Cold-Blooded RC F

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 07:58 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cold-Blooded RC F

I figure with 10.5 qts of oil, it's gonna take some time to heat all that up. I know that just driving 5 mi to my office barely budges the oil temp indicator. The rev limiting feature that limits the RPMs as a function of coolant temp takes a good 10 - 15 mi before it hits 7300 rpm.

Not complaining, just commenting. My G37 is warmed up in a couple mi, but about half the oil (not to mention 30% less HP).
Old 01-07-16, 08:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the front mounted oil cooler also makes it take longer to heat up the oil. VQ37HR are known to run hot anyways, 370Z had oil temp issues on track
Old 01-08-16, 10:52 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

i thought right from the start that there should be flaps covering both the coolers, and then if does start to get hot they can automatically open, not necessary if you going to belt it round a track but for a daily drive my 10 min journey to work never sees the oil temperature get any wear near normal,
Old 01-08-16, 12:18 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
My G37 is warmed up in a couple mi, but about half the oil (not to mention 30% less HP).
The G was a V-6 so not as much engine mass as a V-8. Lexus engineers' limiting rpm when the engine is not yet warm is demonstrative of the care that went into the design and why we're out driving our cars while the Camaroes, Hellcats, etc. are in the shop.
Old 01-08-16, 02:43 PM
ramcanall
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Enform Remote

I experience the same frustration with the warm up times. There's a lot of times when im making a quick trip 10mi or less and it takes forever to get to the 7300.

Ive started incorporating the Remote Engine Start Up 10 minutes before I get ready to leave the house and it gets me that much closer to max redline.
Old 01-08-16, 08:04 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7No
The G was a V-6 so not as much engine mass as a V-8. Lexus engineers' limiting rpm when the engine is not yet warm is demonstrative of the care that went into the design and why we're out driving our cars while the Camaroes, Hellcats, etc. are in the shop.
This I absolutely agree with that, and I appreciate and admire the engineering that goes into the car, hands down. It's the same reason I buy an Apple computer. I think Lexus did a good job on the traction control and VSC on this car also, I have yet to have the power to the rear wheels just drop out completely as it does for example on the G37 or other cars I have driven if the rear wheels spin out on wet pavement, etc. That is a pretty helpless feeling.
Old 01-09-16, 11:32 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
I figure with 10.5 qts of oil, it's gonna take some time to heat all that up. I know that just driving 5 mi to my office barely budges the oil temp indicator. The rev limiting feature that limits the RPMs as a function of coolant temp takes a good 10 - 15 mi before it hits 7300 rpm.

Not complaining, just commenting. My G37 is warmed up in a couple mi, but about half the oil (not to mention 30% less HP).
Exactly the same for me. My commute is 5 miles. Winter's not forever.
Old 01-09-16, 11:53 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I totally feel you Fysisist. My 350Z was warm by the time I hit the freeway, and I could take off. Now I'm almost to work, before I'm clear to open her up. But like somebody else on here said, winter is not forever. I'm in Cali so I could only imagine how long it takes others, where they have real winters. I'm not complaining either, but you just can't help it when you want to open her up and you see your limiter isn't quite there yet. Heck sometimes I find myself taking a longer way home, just so I can open it up a bit and play.
Old 01-09-16, 12:13 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

^^^ Yes - another way to heat up is manual mode and drive in a lower gear, but still going to take some time. 10.5 qts is a lot of oil to warm up. Could start it up and idle for 10 min, but hate wasting gas that way.
Old 01-09-16, 05:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

With the colder weather here in SoCal, it's been taking my engine oil approx 10-15 miles to get to full operating temps... 3 bars on the IS F.. All FWY driving too...
(It hangs around in the 2 bars for a while)

Also, for those doing their own oil or paying for oil changes... Be sure to know the RC F only takes 9.8 Qts

Which is 9 Full Qts & approx 26 ounces.. For your number fanatics

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-09-16 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-10-16, 07:56 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"With the colder weather here in SoCal"

I wish...

My mom is in San Diego and the old man is in Atlanta... Want to see cold mornings, come to Calgary Alberta on a cold week (-30/ -40).

Thankfully 75% of the parking here is underground heated.
Old 01-10-16, 09:39 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

My neighbors hate my cold starts. And I'm still on the stock exhaust. Sorry when the new exhaust comes in
Old 01-10-16, 11:42 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

All true but once the oil gets up to temp the car feels faster in the cold. Michelin PSS summer composite on freezing streets isn't the best way to experience this speed though. I wouldn't dare to turn traction off running PSS in winter.
Old 01-11-16, 07:19 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

You guys notice how the car tells you when you can start to play? I drive around with the f meter screen. The ball moves around but the other parts are greyed out. The accelerator and brake. At first I thought something was wrong with my gauge but when temps are good the gauge activates.
Old 01-11-16, 10:52 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This morning, the rev limiter was at 7300 RPM as I accelerated in 2nd gear, manual mode, SPORT +. When I hit the upshift lever, the transmission would not shift into 3rd gear. About 5 miles later, I did a run on another on ramp and the transmission shifted fine. Tried it again on another on ramp and the shifting was normal. Hmmmm? The oil temperature was about 1/4 on the gauge during the first run and the outside temp was around 50 degrees, water temp was normal. I had started onto the freeway minutes earlier with a "cool" engine. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Cold-Blooded RC F