RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 06:44 AM
rberthelot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
Put it on the desired mode, turn off car, hold down "...", turn car on (don't start). It should blink 3 times. Turn off car and it should come on automatically next time you start.
Thanks a bunch!!
Old 06-29-16, 07:24 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroG
Update 2:
I've successfully mounted the unit and cleanly installed the operating switch exactly as shown in the earlier photo example. My method was quite simple and probably similar to others. Though it was not necessary to remove the side panel, popping out the spare switch was very easy (carefully using a nylon pry tool). From there, I tied some spare thin electrical wire around the end of the operating switch, and fed it down through the open space where the spare button was removed, carefully pulled it through and made the connection to the main unit. I then tucked and tied the slack under the dash.

Though some may have the mad skills to do this all in 15 minutes, I would argue patience helps reduce the risk of technical and/or cosmetic mistakes.

ZeroG
Awesome! Was worried about removing the side panel so this helps me to get it done sooner! Thanks!
Old 07-01-16, 04:30 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Put it on the desired mode, turn off car, hold down "...", turn car on (don't start). It should blink 3 times. Turn off car and it should come on automatically next time you start.
Thanks man, it worked on the first try!
Old 07-11-16, 05:12 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Reading great things about the APEXi Accel Smart Controller. However no mention of impact on gas mileage / consumption. Are those of you have the controller installed seeing any changes to gas mileage?
Old 07-11-16, 07:01 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by datpimp007
Reading great things about the APEXi Accel Smart Controller. However no mention of impact on gas mileage / consumption. Are those of you have the controller installed seeing any changes to gas mileage?
Probably Worse I keep mine on RED (Performance) & i always keep it in Sport+, didn't get the RCF for Eco Mode & mpg I think the Apexi has a setting for better gas mileage, but if you're going to do that you mite as well put it in Eco Mode too for the Best Overall gas mileage if that's what you're concerned about.
Old 07-11-16, 08:30 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mileage after install

Originally Posted by datpimp007
Just finished up my first full tank after my install. I'm always in S+ as a base. With the APEXi, I run in Boost Mode 2 (or Pink... Still looks Purple to me) around the city and then switch to High Throttle (Red) for the highway. In my driving scenario I've seen no loss in gas mileage. I'm getting about 19-20mpg. I've had mine since Feb 2015 and just hit 7250 on the odometer. So I tend to take her easy for the most part, and punch it when needed.

As always, your mileage may vary.

ZeroG
Old 07-16-16, 10:13 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the Apexi accel controller. Nice mod took about 20min to install thanks to this thread. Mod in Japan hooked me up. Definitely speeds up throttle response, reminds me of my Jeep SRT after tuning. Only thing left is to make it start in red mode every time car is started.
Old 07-18-16, 10:58 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Danblanco
Just installed the Apexi accel controller. Nice mod took about 20min to install thanks to this thread. Mod in Japan hooked me up. Definitely speeds up throttle response, reminds me of my Jeep SRT after tuning. Only thing left is to make it start in red mode every time car is started.
Here is how to do it:

Took me only a minute to set it up.
Old 07-18-16, 08:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Anyone get the Apexi logo blinking (3-4 times/second) sometimes on acceleration (throttle input)?

feel no difference in the operation while it blinks. I usually drive in Purple, sometimes Red. I see no pattern as to when it happens - I've seen it happen when when engine is cold, warmed, after many minutes of driving, or in some drives, it never blinks. Weird.
Old 07-18-16, 08:39 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Anyone get the Apexi logo blinking (3-4 times/second) sometimes on acceleration (throttle input)?

feel no difference in the operation while it blinks. I usually drive in Purple, sometimes Red. I see no pattern as to when it happens - I've seen it happen when when engine is cold, warmed, after many minutes of driving, or in some drives, it never blinks. Weird.
I get the blinking everytime, leading me to believe that it's indicating "acceleration assist" is engaged... returning to solid when the peak is reached and the car returns to "default" (all my terms and assumptions).

ZeroG
Old 07-18-16, 08:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroG
I get the blinking everytime, leading me to believe that it's indicating "acceleration assist" is engaged... returning to solid when the peak is reached and the car returns to "default" (all my terms and assumptions).

ZeroG

Interesting you have that too yet yours is consistent. The times mine is not blinking (most of the time), I still feel the Apexi controller working (adding to the throttle response). Any kind of blinking in the manual indicates an issue, but it would have to be consistent I believe whether you have any throttle input or not.
Old 07-18-16, 08:56 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

For me, the only time I notice it blinking is when I go from "cruising speed" to "acceleration". However, like you pointed out, I don't see any performance variations associated with the blinking. It still rocks!
Old 07-20-16, 06:06 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed mine blinking the other day. No performance issue that I could feel though (RC350 F-Sport).
Old 08-22-16, 10:17 AM
Nsanbyker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could use some help from those that successfully installed their controllers. I'm not sure if I initialized mine correctly. I had a hard time understanding the instructions. After everything was done, the switch was litup red. Turned the car off and the switch went black. Went for a driver later and the switch remained black. Will the switch light up when the car is turned on? No blinking. It will stay lit when I touch the switch and it is the correct setting. When the switch is not lit, I don't feel a difference in the accell lag. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-22-16, 11:09 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Trying to answer many questions:

Re Blinking - the unit is supposed to blink, When its blinking, it means it working.

Re Black switch - the unit " turns off " when the car turns off. To activate the unit, you must press it and it returns with the prior color you had it set prior.

I would highly encourage everyone to read the instructions and understand the mapping of the device aka what each mode does

For me:
- Yellow is my everyday mode
- Purple if someone is trying to have fun with me
- Red = race - you'll light tires

Keep in mind that at partial throttle, the car becomes " twitchy " and you need to manipulate the pedal properly to prevent this. This is a " booster ". Understand the curves and select to adjust to your driving style

Happy Driving

Quick Reply: APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)