RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 08:02 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Over 25% discount from $220 - nothing ventured nothing gained.

I ordered from Mod In Japan though, based on previous experience I am willing to spend the extra $60.
Old 06-04-16, 04:31 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I just installed and tested out mine. It's awesome. Regret not doing it sooner. To those of you that haven't installed this yet, you gotta install it on your car. Makes a big difference especially in sport + mode.
Old 06-09-16, 10:53 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by yooniverse
I just installed and tested out mine. It's awesome. Regret not doing it sooner. To those of you that haven't installed this yet, you gotta install it on your car. Makes a big difference especially in sport + mode.
Old 06-09-16, 01:40 PM
2013gs350
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Put mine in the new ref car yesterday 15 minutes install plug and play its money a must have
Old 06-10-16, 07:19 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed mine and love it! I do however have a quick question: Does anyone have a method or instructions on how best to remove the side panel so I can route the switch to the available blank ones? I've searched and searched, but couldn't not find a simple solution. I have the proper tools, just was looking for some guidance/best practices in removing them.

Thanks in advance!

Update 1:
Just found it (not necessarily a clean install, but it gave me an idea of a workflow)
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...le-controller/

Update 2:
I've successfully mounted the unit and cleanly installed the operating switch exactly as shown in the earlier photo example. My method was quite simple and probably similar to others. Though it was not necessary to remove the side panel, popping out the spare switch was very easy (carefully using a nylon pry tool). From there, I tied some spare thin electrical wire around the end of the operating switch, and fed it down through the open space where the spare button was removed, carefully pulled it through and made the connection to the main unit. I then tucked and tied the slack under the dash.

Though some may have the mad skills to do this all in 15 minutes, I would argue patience helps reduce the risk of technical and/or cosmetic mistakes.

ZeroG

Last edited by ZeroG; 06-11-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-11-16, 06:45 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I must say that those of you who did a 15 minute install including proper mounting of the controller/switch are genius!

I'm totally paranoid about removing the side panel for fear of snapping off a tab and creating a rattle or at a minimum a misfit.

Maybe someone that has it installed at the So Cal F meet this Sunday can display their handywork?
Old 06-11-16, 03:14 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
I must say that those of you who did a 15 minute install including proper mounting of the controller/switch are genius!

I'm totally paranoid about removing the side panel for fear of snapping off a tab and creating a rattle or at a minimum a misfit.

Maybe someone that has it installed at the So Cal F meet this Sunday can display their handywork?
See my "update 2" above for my method.

ZeroG
Old 06-16-16, 04:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
On EBay, I found the Apexi Accel controller and harness at a cheap price of ~$160 (USD) shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APEXi-Smart-...ZWxt0B&vxp=mtr

The Part # is an exact match (controller 410-A001 and harness 417-A021) for the RC F but listed for a Toyota Vitz (Yaris). These exact two part #s are also the same stated for many other Lexus/Toyota models as per Apexi USA:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/index...ota-yaris.html

Ebay seller could not confirm it would work on the RC F. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I took the plunge after seller offered me to try the harness and if it didn't connect, that I can return it no questions asked. Great seller and for 160$ shipped it's a bargain! Got it in 6 days and everything works perfectly. Only thing I have left is to permanently mount the switch.

Old 06-16-16, 06:43 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Now you got me itching to install mine...haha. Lots to do
Old 06-16-16, 09:03 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Has anyone run a 0-60 mph faster than 4.3 in the F with this controller?

I want to know if there is a verified performance gain.

Also, is there any difference in performance once you have selected the mode BEYOND Expert mode?

Thanks

Last edited by ISF001; 06-16-16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 09:14 AM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the Apexi based on Corrado's post (Thanks Corrado!!). Super fast shipping to the U.S. I just installed it last night on my RC 350 F Sport. I only ran it in Red mode this morning but had noticeable improvement in Normal and Sport +. Car feels much more responsive. Very glad I did the install and well worth the $160. It took me more like an hour to install but install is fairly simple.
Old 06-16-16, 10:20 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Has anyone run a 0-60 mph faster than 4.3 in the F with this controller?

I want to know if there is a verified performance gain.

Also, is there any difference in performance once you have selected the mode BEYOND Expert mode?

Thanks
No performance increase, this controller just makes your throttle more responsive by moving your throttle position higher, so basically if you stepped on your gas pedal at 1/8 down, it will be like stepping on the gas pedal at 1/6 with the controller and makes it super responsive, great for the track!
Old 06-16-16, 12:44 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RCF500
No performance increase, this controller just makes your throttle more responsive by moving your throttle position higher, so basically if you stepped on your gas pedal at 1/8 down, it will be like stepping on the gas pedal at 1/6 with the controller and makes it super responsive, great for the track!
Ah...enjoy.
Old 06-17-16, 03:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ALE81
I ordered the Apexi based on Corrado's post (Thanks Corrado!!). Super fast shipping to the U.S. I just installed it last night on my RC 350 F Sport. I only ran it in Red mode this morning but had noticeable improvement in Normal and Sport +. Car feels much more responsive. Very glad I did the install and well worth the $160. It took me more like an hour to install but install is fairly simple.
You're welcome.
Agree. Great deal and the responsiveness is significantly better making for real-world city/highway passing even easier especially when in D.

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Now you got me itching to install mine...haha. Lots to do
It's worth the <1 hr of your time. Takes "this long" because of reading the instructions, finding the right position to get under the dash (that was a pain and unplug the OEM harness), otherwise, second time around would be just a 15 minute job.

On the topic of removing the harness, it's easy once you can find your hand in there and know what you're doing. Basically just press and pull up the connector. Not quite a DIY but the rest is literally plug and play - this pic should help.

I'll post another pic where I placed the Apexi switch on the center console as I've seen a couple other CL members do.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-17-16 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 11:42 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

^ The hardest part of the install is getting that plug to unclip!

Quick Reply: APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)