RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)

Old 08-23-16, 07:00 PM
Nsanbyker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
Trying to answer many questions:

Re Blinking - the unit is supposed to blink, When its blinking, it means it working.

Re Black switch - the unit " turns off " when the car turns off. To activate the unit, you must press it and it returns with the prior color you had it set prior.

I would highly encourage everyone to read the instructions and understand the mapping of the device aka what each mode does

For me:
- Yellow is my everyday mode
- Purple if someone is trying to have fun with me
- Red = race - you'll light tires

Keep in mind that at partial throttle, the car becomes " twitchy " and you need to manipulate the pedal properly to prevent this. This is a " booster ". Understand the curves and select to adjust to your driving style

Happy Driving
Thanks, that helped a lot. I went online and found the instructions. The instructions I received were messed up and I could not follow. There isn't blinking in red, correct? I blink in every color except red and green.
Old 11-17-16, 01:41 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive had mine installed for about 5months now, loved it with no issues until today. Had to recalibrate it which i did but now in boost modes it no longer flashes in purple etc. Never did in red which is normal. Any ideas?

Ps Found this through other forums. There is misperception that red is best. From most of the references ive found, red is best in manual mode, purple in auto
"Everyone uses red assuming it's best.

Red mode is enhanced throttle output based on throttle position.
Purple mode is enhanced throttle output per unit of TIME.

So QUICKEST (time) throttle response is PURPLE. Most output vs throttle position is RED.
I've tried this a million times, purple hits HARDER AND KICKS DOWN MORE GEARS IN auto than RED mode. "

From my own experience i agree, purple is more agressive and thats why im annoyed the dam thing doesnt blink in purple anymore since this morning
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 10:46 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Ive had mine installed for about 5months now, loved it with no issues until today. Had to recalibrate it which i did but now in boost modes it no longer flashes in purple etc. Never did in red which is normal. Any ideas?

Ps Found this through other forums. There is misperception that red is best. From most of the references ive found, red is best in manual mode, purple in auto
"Everyone uses red assuming it's best.

Red mode is enhanced throttle output based on throttle position.
Purple mode is enhanced throttle output per unit of TIME.

So QUICKEST (time) throttle response is PURPLE. Most output vs throttle position is RED.
I've tried this a million times, purple hits HARDER AND KICKS DOWN MORE GEARS IN auto than RED mode. "

From my own experience i agree, purple is more agressive and thats why im annoyed the dam thing doesnt blink in purple anymore since this morning
I've only had mine installed for a few days now - but after lots of spirited driving (and one ticket...), I agree with your experiences 100%.
Old 01-25-17, 07:14 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

My son just asked me today why it was blinking & I said i don't know, mine is ALWAYS in Red/Purple (Purple was blinking, but I don't remember if Red does or not). Definitely LOVE it though, makes a BIG Difference in the Response of the car, Very Jumpy
ModInJapan (02-01-17)
Old 03-16-17, 03:53 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,

I just installed this but am having problems getting it to work.
The switch lights up but I can't get it to change colours, do you need to do something to configure it?
The light just stays white.
If I hold the top button down for a few seconds, it goes red, but then back to white again when I let go.
When I hold the bottom button down for a few seconds it turns blue, but again reverts to white lights.

Do you have to do anything to initiate this device?

Thanks
Old 03-16-17, 04:08 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spider21
Hi Guys,

I just installed this but am having problems getting it to work.
The switch lights up but I can't get it to change colours, do you need to do something to configure it?
The light just stays white.
If I hold the top button down for a few seconds, it goes red, but then back to white again when I let go.
When I hold the bottom button down for a few seconds it turns blue, but again reverts to white lights.

Do you have to do anything to initiate this device?

Thanks
Well you got power so sounds like a calibration / setup issue. Possibly disconnect it (power source), reconnect and try the calibration again

Press ignition twice but dont turn on the engine. Just have the car electrics working. The apexi button should be flashing white
2. Press the bottom of the switch and hold it until it turns blue
3. once you release the button it will go from blue to flashing whtie again
4. depress the accelerator pedal all the way and press the top of the button at the same time until it turns red
5. Once red, release the button and accelerator pedal
6. Fingers crossed there will be no more flashing on the button meaning youre good to go

FYI for anyone who wants it always on....
Press and hold top of the button whilst pressing push start to acc then ign. My button flashed white 4 times. Tested it and it remains in boost purple mode which is what I'm using.
Weird thing is instructions says press bottom of the button and it will flash twice. For me it flashed 4 times but didn't remain on so experimented the other way and success.
Spider21 (03-16-17)
Old 03-16-17, 04:21 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Sweet man, that fixed it.
Thanks so much for your help with the steps to set it up.
Old 03-16-17, 04:50 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Sweet man, that fixed it.
Thanks so much for your help with the steps to set it up.
Cool glad it worked. Have fun testing it lol. For me its between red and purple, i put up some replies earlier explaining the differences. I find purple hits harder (boost) despite most assuming red is the best (throttle). anyways try for yourself. either mode combined with the OEM sports switch and its much better to drive :-)
Old 03-18-17, 06:43 AM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or does anyone else find the blinking light to distracting while driving at night? I was thinking about placing some frosted Scotch tape over it to try and diffuse the light a little bit. Any thoughts?
Old 03-19-17, 05:18 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALE81
Is it just me or does anyone else find the blinking light to distracting while driving at night? I was thinking about placing some frosted Scotch tape over it to try and diffuse the light a little bit. Any thoughts?
Doesnt bother me at all. If in red, it doesnt blink. Boost modes blink but if im pushing the car for it to blink constantly, im focusing on the road so its out of my field of vision enough to not bother me at all.

If youre not in the habit of changing modes all the time, you could definitely mask it with tape like you said.
Old 03-19-17, 01:30 PM
MarkSk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed mine today and am not sure it is working correctly. I went through the calibration/initialization settings as described in the manual and everything appears to have worked as expected. That said, I didn't notice much difference, if any, on my test drive. I can cycle through all the colors but they never blink. From what I can gather, blinking means it is working in all modes except red. None of my colors blink. Maybe it is working and I just expected a more pronounced difference based on the feedback in this post?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-17, 05:59 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Originally Posted by MarkSk
I just installed mine today and am not sure it is working correctly. I went through the calibration/initialization settings as described in the manual and everything appears to have worked as expected. That said, I didn't notice much difference, if any, on my test drive. I can cycle through all the colors but they never blink. From what I can gather, blinking means it is working in all modes except red. None of my colors blink. Maybe it is working and I just expected a more pronounced difference based on the feedback in this post?

Any suggestions?
To be honest, the first time I drove mine installed, only a few days ago, I did not really feel any difference either.
However, after driving it a few days, mostly in red and sport/sport+, it does feel like it is making a difference.
Some idiot who was parked pulled out too close in front of me yesterday when there were no cars behind me.
There was oncoming traffic coming, but I flew past him with plenty of time to clear oncoming traffic, felt really good as I've not pushed the car that hard before and I'm sure the Apexi help with the power.
Old 03-19-17, 06:14 PM
MarkSk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, the first time I drove mine installed, only a few days ago, I did not really feel any difference either.
However, after driving it a few days, mostly in red and sport/sport+, it does feel like it is making a difference.
Some idiot who was parked pulled out too close in front of me yesterday when there were no cars behind me.
There was oncoming traffic coming, but I flew past him with plenty of time to clear oncoming traffic, felt really good as I've not pushed the car that hard before and I'm sure the Apexi help with the power.
Do the colors blink on yours (except red)?
Old 03-19-17, 06:21 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Don't know about the blinking.
I haven't tucked the wires and mounted the switch properly yet, so it just gets wedged in my air con vents and not visible when I drive.
I'll check it out next time I drive it.
Old 03-19-17, 08:59 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkSk

Any suggestions?

Doesn't sound like it's working. Red and Purple are easily noticeable difference when mine is turned on. And yes, except for red, they all blink while in the initial throttle down mode (a few seconds) to indicate the vehicle is using the Apexi map. Double check your connections, and if that doesn't fix it, get a replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)