RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Supercharger Kit for RC-F - Option Magazine Teaser!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 12:27 AM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieVo
no such thing as break-in period or break-in the engine.
OK, whatever you want to not call it, Dodge recommended only moderate driving for the 1st 500 miles.
Old 12-31-15, 12:31 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
Wow...93 views and only 1 comment. After lurking on this very slow forum for over a year I feel I must add something. I hope to be in an F in a year or so...having the first Supercharger installed by TRD in my Landcruiser in 1997...this is very exciting news. A supercharger is a bulletproof system. Not sure what is needed other than the ECU and possibly larger injectors.
It would be nice if TRD offered it..but good news nonetheless. So there you have it...now two people who are interested .-)
airlaird
Fuel pump is usually not a bad idea.

I'm guessing 5-6 psi with the stock internals............good mid range/top end centrifugal unit. They really shine top end......I've been an E46 and a C6 Corvette with these units. Pretty loud whooshing noise from the BOV.....but that never gets old.

Intercooled?

Cool stuff.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 12-31-15 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-31-15, 06:40 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well i found this out yesterday and was about to update the forum but someone else found it before me haha
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Kit for RC-F - Option Magazine Teaser!-s0160700-jercf_5126s1.jpg  
Old 12-31-15, 06:45 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

More info directly from their website....use your browser to translate

http://www.jk-power.jp/cont8/main.html
Old 12-31-15, 10:20 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Nice!! Can't wait to see the final product and like others, I hope it works on USDM F's. And oh, maybe include a higher volume fuel pump?
I think with any forced induction kit, you can always find different supporting mods/upgrades to go with the setup you have. If you wanted a fuel pump that provided a higher volume, you can switch it out for a different one. The one thing I'd be cautious of is that sometimes these manufacturers will design the kit to work a certain way and will design the kit to work with the parts they provide in the kit. If you switch out those parts and mix and match with different pieces, it can sometimes impede any performance gains and negatively affect the performance. Not saying it will, but I've seen it happen. I hope the kit will offer a decent power gain and keep people happy.

Originally Posted by Phinatic
OK, whatever you want to not call it, Dodge recommended only moderate driving for the 1st 500 miles.
I've had other cars that required a "break-in: period as well. I think it was more for some of the less recent cars or cars that aren't as well engineered and manufactured as Lexus. Lexus states that because of Lexus's precision engineering, the "break-in" period is optional and is not required for the RCF. They state that doing your regular scheduled services on the car is most important to keep your car running optimally. Breaking in the RCF isn't a bad idea so I say if you're going to feel better by breaking-in your car you should do so as you please

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Fuel pump is usually not a bad idea.

I'm guessing 5-6 psi with the stock internals............good mid range/top end centrifugal unit. They really shine top end......I've been an E46 and a C6 Corvette with these units. Pretty loud whooshing noise from the BOV.....but that never gets old.

Intercooled?

Cool stuff.
I agree, 5-6 PSI would be pretty safe for stock internals, however, I'd still feel MUCH better with forged internals but we all know that opens the floodgates. A $10k-$15k build all of the sudden turns into a $50k+ build in a blink of an eye once you crack open the block.

Yes, the system will offer an intercooler. *Edit, it looks like it's an air to air intercooler.

I'm with you regarding the blow-off valve. I don't care what anybody says about blow-off valves. I love that whooshing sound too haha. Some make crazy sounds like the HKS SSQV whistle. I like them all.

Originally Posted by juvi22003
More info directly from their website....use your browser to translate

http://www.jk-power.jp/cont8/main.html
Awesome find!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-31-15, 10:58 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGUAM
TAS 2016 will be exciting for all our "F"'s!
YES! 2016 Tokyo Auto Salon is going to be a BIG year for Lexus and the "F" cars specifically.

Will you be attending TAS this year?
Old 12-31-15, 12:18 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuning is the main hurdle for the US spec RCF/ISF and now the GSF.
This topic has been debated, discussed, and horse beaten to death for YEARS on the ISF section. And even today, there are no options available. Whats done in Japan is not easily transferred over to the US counterpart, because the ECM in Japan is open and does not have complex encryption keys. The USDM ECM is impossible to crack. And to top it off, the ISF has +14 ECUs that communicate with one another...so if one fails, the others will not operate properly. It gets more complicated with the 8 speed tranny with its own ECUs. Also with Lexus and their acceleration lawsuits, you would think they more likely made the ECM/ECUs even more complex...they do not want anyone messing with it or anything attached to it. So a simple piggy back will not work either. I just can't image how much more complex the entire system is now with the RCF. Lobuxracer can give a more descriptive detail about the entire system and why it is so complicated to deal with. And just because a big manufacturer like HKS is making a system in Japan, doesn't exactly mean they will cross over. Sure, they are a large company, but so is Greddy as you mentioned, and they also developed a supercharger for the ISF...which today, led no where. The bottom line, they couldn't tune the USDM ISF. And the market demand as of now still looks bigger for the ISF than it does for the RCF, and nothing has come out beyond I/H/E since 2008. For those that are just stepping in to the Lexus lineup and RCF and are thinking of force induction, do some research around the ISF section, and you will see the extent of whats been done, and where it has failed.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but it is true. In order to really modify the 2URGSE engine for serious gains, it must be a complete buildup. Higher boost doesn't work well with the DI, so some have removed it, and would require a revamp of the entire fuel system. Also the pistons, which are designed for DI, also did not hold up well to boost..so a piston swap would be needed there. And the complex tranny can be subtracted from the problem by installing a standard manual transmission, which also has been done and proven to work. To get away with the encrypted and uncrackable ecm and ecus, a complete standalone can be added, but expect to lose all other luxury and performance features inside your car. But on the very brighter side, there is a belief the JDM ECM pops right in and could work...from there you can tune just as you would with any Japanese aftermarket part.
Old 12-31-15, 07:41 PM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So lets get some do a group buy on jdm ecms
Old 12-31-15, 09:43 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
This topic has been debated, discussed, and horse beaten to death for YEARS on the ISF section. And even today, there are no options available. Whats done in Japan is not easily transferred over to the US counterpart, because the ECM in Japan is open and does not have complex encryption keys. The USDM ECM is impossible to crack. And to top it off, the ISF has +14 ECUs that communicate with one another...so if one fails, the others will not operate properly. It gets more complicated with the 8 speed tranny with its own ECUs. Also with Lexus and their acceleration lawsuits, you would think they more likely made the ECM/ECUs even more complex...they do not want anyone messing with it or anything attached to it. So a simple piggy back will not work either. I just can't image how much more complex the entire system is now with the RCF. Lobuxracer can give a more descriptive detail about the entire system and why it is so complicated to deal with. And just because a big manufacturer like HKS is making a system in Japan, doesn't exactly mean they will cross over. Sure, they are a large company, but so is Greddy as you mentioned, and they also developed a supercharger for the ISF...which today, led no where. The bottom line, they couldn't tune the USDM ISF. And the market demand as of now still looks bigger for the ISF than it does for the RCF, and nothing has come out beyond I/H/E since 2008. For those that are just stepping in to the Lexus lineup and RCF and are thinking of force induction, do some research around the ISF section, and you will see the extent of whats been done, and where it has failed.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but it is true. In order to really modify the 2URGSE engine for serious gains, it must be a complete buildup. Higher boost doesn't work well with the DI, so some have removed it, and would require a revamp of the entire fuel system. Also the pistons, which are designed for DI, also did not hold up well to boost..so a piston swap would be needed there. And the complex tranny can be subtracted from the problem by installing a standard manual transmission, which also has been done and proven to work. To get away with the encrypted and uncrackable ecm and ecus, a complete standalone can be added, but expect to lose all other luxury and performance features inside your car. But on the very brighter side, there is a belief the JDM ECM pops right in and could work...from there you can tune just as you would with any Japanese aftermarket part.
Thank you for posting this. I 100% agree with you. A JDM ecm was swapped out here in the states but there were no gains just a raised rev limit. I just hope more people realize its not as simple as swapping out an ecu or throwing a turbo/supercharger at it. I strongly believe race teams like Ekanoo would have gone the route of tuning but its next to impossible. Thats why their quickest F has a 200+ shot of nitrous versus forced induction .
Old 01-01-16, 07:12 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still fail to see how a piggyback cannot end around the signals being sent to the ignition, fuel, etc. It has been done on a lot of cars in the past that does not require modification tot he stock ecu. Obviously a tuned eco is optimal for precise tuning but for many years the tuner market ran off of the alphabet of piggy backs (itc's, arc's, aic's, etc ).

Old 01-01-16, 10:03 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

tired of people acting like the ECU or ECUs are uncrackable. and there are 3 including mine Nitrous powered cars putting down 150 more whp than stock. I know boost is different but its the same idea. With there being the RCF GSF the new ISF and the LC500 sharing the same powertrians. Our options will open up. The RCF is already exploding in aftermarket popularity, And social media has alot to do with it. This thread is going to be back and forth with a bunch of internet bench tuners. Lets see what happens, and stillen is working hard right now on the IS supercharged format. I personally wouldn't buy a GREDDY kit for any car but that's just me.
Old 01-01-16, 12:00 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
tired of people acting like the ECU or ECUs are uncrackable. and there are 3 including mine Nitrous powered cars putting down 150 more whp than stock. I know boost is different but its the same idea. With there being the RCF GSF the new ISF and the LC500 sharing the same powertrians. Our options will open up. The RCF is already exploding in aftermarket popularity, And social media has alot to do with it. This thread is going to be back and forth with a bunch of internet bench tuners. Lets see what happens, and stillen is working hard right now on the IS supercharged format. I personally wouldn't buy a GREDDY kit for any car but that's just me.
Ok...
Explain to all of us how its done? Whats the work around for a 'complete' tune. A lot more involved in tuning with force induction than nitrous.
Old 01-01-16, 03:45 PM
GSGUAM
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BPauto
YES! 2016 Tokyo Auto Salon is going to be a BIG year for Lexus and the "F" cars specifically.

Will you be attending TAS this year?
Yes! can not wait...
Old 01-02-16, 11:28 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
I agree 100%. Just give it time and one of the tuning companies will come up with a solution. Like you say now there is more reason for companies to spend money on R&D to hack the ECU than ever.
Old 01-04-16, 08:41 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Ok...
Explain to all of us how its done? Whats the work around for a 'complete' tune. A lot more involved in tuning with force induction than nitrous.
just give it time. If a human can write the software for this car to have a stock tune, then a human of similar intelligence can re write the software, The FRS BRZ community has a very similar Injector ECU as the rcf the rcf has 2 of them. Its definitely not un crack-able.

as for the nos vs or forced induction difference i was referring to the strength of the motor. took me an hour and a half total time to tune my nitrous set up

Quick Reply: Supercharger Kit for RC-F - Option Magazine Teaser!