RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Something weird happened

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 05:33 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Something weird happened

The other night I was driving through a neighborhood trying to find an address, and I slightly passed the street I was supposed to turn on. There were no cars behind me so I put the car in reverse so I could go back and make the turn on the proper street. This is where things got weird, when I went to put the car back in drive it stalled out on me, like if it was a manual or something.

The car was still moving slightly in reverse and I had my foot on the brake, but I shifted into drive before the car had come to a complete stop and it just stalled out. Engine was completely off but everything in the car was still on. I shifted into N, R, D to see if anything would work and nothing the car just sat there. on the dash all the lights were on, CEL, ABS, TRAC, everything, it was really weird. I turned the car off and restarted it and then everything was normal again. The car only had about 600-700 miles on the ODO when this happened, has anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-28-15, 08:36 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
The other night I was driving through a neighborhood trying to find an address, and I slightly passed the street I was supposed to turn on. There were no cars behind me so I put the car in reverse so I could go back and make the turn on the proper street. This is where things got weird, when I went to put the car back in drive it stalled out on me, like if it was a manual or something.

The car was still moving slightly in reverse and I had my foot on the brake, but I shifted into drive before the car had come to a complete stop and it just stalled out. Engine was completely off but everything in the car was still on. I shifted into N, R, D to see if anything would work and nothing the car just sat there. on the dash all the lights were on, CEL, ABS, TRAC, everything, it was really weird. I turned the car off and restarted it and then everything was normal again. The car only had about 600-700 miles on the ODO when this happened, has anyone else experienced this?
Playa, that wasn't back on the 24th or 25th when that happened was it? I saw on yahoo that there was a UFO sighting in the Fla. area. OR, it could have been SC
Old 12-28-15, 09:27 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't own a RC F, but while researching its capabilities I read that it's equipped with a vertical g-sensor that somehow manages brake control. Perhaps the squatting action from putting into drive while still moving backwards tripped the vertical g-sensor and brake control was initiated, but never released until your restarted. Just a wild guess on my part.
Old 12-28-15, 09:39 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Playa, that wasn't back on the 24th or 25th when that happened was it? I saw on yahoo that there was a UFO sighting in the Fla. area. OR, it could have been SC
Lmao no it wasn't either of those nights.

Originally Posted by Phinatic
I don't own a RC F, but while researching its capabilities I read that it's equipped with a vertical g-sensor that somehow manages brake control. Perhaps the squatting action from putting into drive while still moving backwards tripped the vertical g-sensor and brake control was initiated, but never released until your restarted. Just a wild guess on my part.
I could see how that could happen, but it shouldn't cause the car to completely stall. I've tried recreating the issue since that day and can't get it to happen again, it was very odd. I won't be trying it anymore, but needless to say I hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 12-28-15, 10:06 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Thats funny....I dont own an RCF but this happened to me in my 2013 ISF the other day.... I dont know what it was.
Old 12-29-15, 12:42 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Probably not likely, but was it low on fuel? Could it be that the pump cavitated and lost fuel pressure? I'd be surprised if that was it. Hopefully it's not a symptom of the pump going bad.
Old 12-29-15, 01:52 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Probably not likely, but was it low on fuel? Could it be that the pump cavitated and lost fuel pressure? I'd be surprised if that was it. Hopefully it's not a symptom of the pump going bad.
To what jt said this could be a fuel pump issues. These cars are known to have them. Your car could be part of the faulty. I would take her in to be sure. Of course the dealer wants to have the problem repeated prior to diagnosis.

Good luck
Old 12-29-15, 04:15 PM
Santanas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not on my RCF but I used to experience something like this on my VW CC back in 2012, back then they used to blame it on the tranny which is a dual clutch automatic DSG (felt like manual). What I do notice is that when you place the RCF on reverse you have to step slightly on the gas to make it move quick...I will say is the tranny playing tricks on you lol
Old 12-30-15, 05:57 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
When it happened I had about a 1/2 tank of gas if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by JB5674
To what jt said this could be a fuel pump issues. These cars are known to have them. Your car could be part of the faulty. I would take her in to be sure. Of course the dealer wants to have the problem repeated prior to diagnosis.

Good luck
That's the problem, I tried recreating the issue and couldn't do it. I hope it was just some type of glitch in the system and never happens again lol.
Old 12-30-15, 08:09 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the car going from 3rd to 4th? Or it could be the fuel pump
Old 12-30-15, 07:18 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

That's the problem, I tried recreating the issue and couldn't do it. I hope it was just some type of glitch in the system and never happens again lol.
I sure hope so too! Keep us updated please. Mine is approaching 500miles and so far the only thing weird that happened was the nav/stereo system rebooting while I was driving. Keeping my fingers crossed!