RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Options when ordering RC F -- which are legit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 05:33 PM
omnikey
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Options when ordering RC F -- which are legit?

Just curious about the various options available with the RCF when ordering, and the forum opinions on each. Specifically, with current price shown:

Rear bumper appliqué ($79)
Paint protection film ($429!)
Door edge guards ($129)
Illuminated door sills ($449)
Pre-collision system ($500)
Alloy wheel locks ($80)

Are any of these a complete waste of money? Which are worthwhile?
Old 12-27-15, 06:19 PM
rexio83
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by omnikey
Just curious about the various options available with the RCF when ordering, and the forum opinions on each. Specifically, with current price shown:

Door edge guards ($129)
Alloy wheel locks ($80)

Not sure if the "pre-collision system" upgrades the cruise control to the "radar" cruise control, but I just returned from a 2 hr drive where I used the radar cruise control for the 1st time, didn't have to touch the brake of gas the whole way, system took care of it all, I found it very impressive.

As for the rest, seem over priced
Old 12-27-15, 06:20 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by omnikey

Door edge guards ($129)
Alloy wheel locks ($80)

Do not get the Rear bumper appliqué. The PPF used crappy, thick material, and
the surface is ugly. I took mine off and had 3M Pro put on in place
and had them run it up farther on each side. Smooth as glass now.

PPF: I only did the front panels and a bikini bra and rocker panels (3M pro) but wish I would have done the whole hood and fenders but remember
PPF does scar and you can not fix it like you can fix clear coat to some extent. I did not get the factory PPF but had AutoBaun do it as a subcontractor for Lexus. You might want to do paint correction
before the PPF to get the paint (clear coat) really nice.

Door edge guards I did not get.
Illuminated door sills I did not get.
12k mile Pre-collision system fired 1 time when I was testing
the brakes with a car a little too close for the PSC to ignore.
Old 12-27-15, 06:39 PM
JCAGE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone think the torque vectoring is worth it over the LSD? Any obvious advantage in spirited daily driving?
Old 12-27-15, 06:39 PM
omnikey
Rookie

I didn't mention the all-weather package ($280) because it seems like such a good deal.

Nor did I mention the carpet trunk mat for $105. This seems like an essential item. I'm not sure why Lexus does not just throw the one in on every vehicle.
Old 12-27-15, 10:12 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JCAGE
Does anyone think the torque vectoring is worth it over the LSD? Any obvious advantage in spirited daily driving?
No and not for weight.

I think the illuminated door silks are cool and need the door guards for my garage.
Old 12-27-15, 11:06 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, the door guards are ugly as sin. I would love to have mine removed. Glue squished out the sides and everything. I would rather have a random chip somewhere than these things.
Old 12-28-15, 10:46 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Pre-Collision system is the best $500 that could be spent. It does upgrade the Cruise control to Radar Cruise and prior to this I had never used cruise control. Now I do all the time as you can set the radar to keep you at one of 3 distances from the car in front.
I have had the safety part of the system activate as well and again well worth it and effective.
Old 12-28-15, 11:06 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
The Pre-Collision system is the best $500 that could be spent. It does upgrade the Cruise control to Radar Cruise and prior to this I had never used cruise control. Now I do all the time as you can set the radar to keep you at one of 3 distances from the car in front.
I have had the safety part of the system activate as well and again well worth it and effective.
Just be careful when you change lanes at close distances. Your brakes might kick in and you'll get hit from the back.
Old 12-28-15, 07:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JCAGE
Yes. It's what the RC F is all about.

There is nothing wrong with the LSD, but we are talking about two distinctly different driving experiences and vehicles.

I logged 45 minutes with the LSD, and it's nothing like my TVD. Unfortunately, you will not be able to discern the difference in a casual test drive of either car. A friend at Lexus allowed me to take the LSD on a long test drive.

Doug and Others may disagree. I say if money is no object, get the TVD. Forget the nominal increase in weight--it's a little faster than the LSD (a tenth or so in 0-60), corners like a champion, and it instills confidence with good reason.

In sport+, standard TVD, and expert mode, the carbon TVD is a blast if you like spirited driving and own stock in a tire company.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-28-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 07:57 PM
JCAGE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, basically it was down to the PP and TVD or moonroof package. I went with the latter, just didn't really feel the difference back to back, but again I didn't drive more than 15 mins. Ahh well.
Old 12-28-15, 08:45 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rexio83
Not sure if the "pre-collision system" upgrades the cruise control to the "radar" cruise control, but I just returned from a 2 hr drive where I used the radar cruise control for the 1st time, didn't have to touch the brake of gas the whole way, system took care of it all, I found it very impressive.

As for the rest, seem over priced

What exactly does the Radar cruise control do? and it is a stand on the 73K MSRP RC F?
Old 12-29-15, 02:25 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

i love when people say lexus parts are over priced. Really? you own a lexus.... please do your research and as for the wheel locks $80 is nothing
Old 12-30-15, 05:14 AM
omnikey
Rookie

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
i love when people say lexus parts are over priced. Really? you own a lexus.... please do your research and as for the wheel locks $80 is nothing
THERE IS NOT ONE GENERAL STATEMENT IN THIS THREAD SAYING "LEXUS PARTS ARE OVER PRICED" BY ANYONE!

You are completely missing the point of this thread.

An option that achieves a worthwhile purpose is probably worth the money. An option that does not, is not worth ANY amount of money. One of the respondents on this thread stated that he felt the door edge guards detract from the RC F aesthetics. For this poster, they are not worth $129 or any amount of money.

I think the wheel locks for $80 are NOT overpriced. I think the RC F when compared to German vehicles in its class is a bargain.
Old 12-30-15, 05:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^But when you can buy McGard wheel locks for less than $25.00, it does look overpriced to me. It's such a simple thing to change, why would anyone pay $80.00 for OEM ones? Another bonus of any aftermarket wheel locks is that you get to keep the 4 lug nuts that get replaced. Seems like a win win to me.

And if it were me, I would skip all of the options on the OPs list and go for McGard wheel locks and 3M film in the aftermarket.

As stated the door edge guards interfere with the styling. The Rear bumper appliqué is simply not needed if you are careful. Illuminated door sills are a nice styling touch, but not needed, and again will be cheaper in the aftermarket. Pre collision, I'm simply not ready for that.

Lou

Quick Reply: Options when ordering RC F -- which are legit?