RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rear Light Housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 05:16 PM
JDLion
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Light Housing

Has anyone removed the rear light housing that contains the turn signals? I want to replace my turn signals with LED ones from VLED, not the V3 version so I'll be adding resistors.

Just wondering if anyone has every removed the housing. If so, can you give me some pointers on how to remove it? I removed the bolts but when i was trying to pull it off it wouldn't come off. Did any of your used a tool to pry it off? I don't want to apply too much for where something might break. Thanks.
Old 12-22-15, 07:25 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Once the bolts are removed, you just have to give it a good yank towards the rear of the vehicle. Pull straight back, not at an angle, there are little plastic slide locks that engage when you slide the tailight in. Don't fall over backwards when it releases
Old 12-22-15, 08:53 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

I believe the manual has some pictures about the removal
Old 12-23-15, 03:50 AM
asinow
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried to do the LED bulb but hyper-flash resulted. I believe a large wattage resistor is needed to resolve this.

If you have something that works reliably let us know

Thanks...

Originally Posted by JDLion
Has anyone removed the rear light housing that contains the turn signals? I want to replace my turn signals with LED ones from VLED, not the V3 version so I'll be adding resistors.

Just wondering if anyone has every removed the housing. If so, can you give me some pointers on how to remove it? I removed the bolts but when i was trying to pull it off it wouldn't come off. Did any of your used a tool to pry it off? I don't want to apply too much for where something might break. Thanks.
Old 12-23-15, 12:49 PM
JDLion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by asinow
I tried to do the LED bulb but hyper-flash resulted. I believe a large wattage resistor is needed to resolve this.

If you have something that works reliably let us know

Thanks...
Did you attach a 6ohm resisters or just attached the LED?
Old 12-23-15, 03:19 PM
TigerAC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached are the tail light removal instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Light Removal.pdf (304.4 KB, 231 views)
Old 12-23-15, 03:34 PM
asinow
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I did not. I didnt have one handy.

I figured I may find one built in somewhere or in time I could place one (whatever the value) someplace safe where it wouldn't corrode or short out

Did you attach a 6ohm resisters or just attached the LED?
Old 12-23-15, 08:21 PM
JDLion
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TigerAC3
Cool thank, this was what I needed. I didnt know there was a 3rd bolt within the trunk.
Old 12-24-15, 03:11 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

There was no third bolt on my car. Maybe for a different market, but not the US. All you need to do is remove the 2 bolts behind covers when trunk is open, and yank the unit straight out.

I installed V-LEDs Triton V3 LED bulbs, but swapped the older single box with the new 2-box design. You can't install properly the new system without removing the bumper. It was still a b*tch to install mine, but was able to. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably leave it alone. But now that's done, it looks great: clear, and brighter than stock. And no more incandescen bulbs in my car. I strongly discourage splicing factory wiring, especially on an exterior application. If anything, try to replace the flasher relay. Finally, I've tried every imaginable LED bulb, and other than the much more powerful Tritons, no LED true amber bulb (not the crappy coated ones) is close to incandescent brightness. In other words, it'd be less safe, and I don't do mods that way, but to each his own. Plus splicing wiring is an absolute deal-breaker for me. Good luck.
Old 12-29-15, 07:04 AM
JDLion
Driver School Candidate

I just want to double check. What type of bulbs are the rear turn signal? They're 7440/7443 correct? not the 921 like the reverse tail lights?
Old 12-29-15, 11:26 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

They're 7440/7443 correct?
Yep. The incandescent 7443 is the single-filament application for turn-signal only, like our car.
Old 01-02-16, 10:01 PM
JDLion
Driver School Candidate

Finally installed my lights. Ordered the VLED HVAs. I had to install a resistor for each bulb but it wasn't that bad. I used the VLED resistors, it's a bit pricy but I like it's slim profile. No hyper flashing, everything works normally. No more amber hue from the rear light housing.
Old 01-08-17, 03:09 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Finally installed my lights. Ordered the VLED HVAs. I had to install a resistor for each bulb but it wasn't that bad. I used the VLED resistors, it's a bit pricy but I like it's slim profile. No hyper flashing, everything works normally. No more amber hue from the rear light housing.
Do you have a pic of where you installed the resistors? It just doesn't look like there is room for them when I examined the lights after removal.

As noted above, I have not trunk bolt. Just 2 screws and some gentle but firm force to pull the housing backward.
Old 01-12-17, 04:49 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by TigerAC3
Do you mind sharing where you found this info/PDF ?
Is there one for the head lights?
I smoked the headlights with tint. The edges came out ok but if the lights were removed, I could do a much better job.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-17, 12:37 PM
JDLion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Do you have a pic of where you installed the resistors? It just doesn't look like there is room for them when I examined the lights after removal.

As noted above, I have not trunk bolt. Just 2 screws and some gentle but firm force to pull the housing backward.
Sorry for the really late reply been busy. I attached the photo of where I placed the resistor. I did it at the bottom of that hump of the light housing in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Light Housing-img_20170115_121646.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (01-18-17)

Quick Reply: Rear Light Housing