RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dealer Installed Paint PPF or Xpel?

Old 12-18-15, 12:07 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts
Default Dealer Installed Paint PPF or Xpel?

So my dealer sold me the PPF before I heard or started seeing some threads about other options. How much better is the XPEL than what they offer? I tried to cancel it but was told it's not refundable. Should I just let them do what they offer, or what I already paid for, which I think is 3M, or not waste my time and go to a place that does the XPEL? I'd lose the little over 1K I paid but that's fine. Thanks!
Old 12-18-15, 12:45 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is nothing wrong with 3M what so ever. It is a good brand. Do you know if it is self healing like the XPEL brand? I believe both offer similar warranties guarding against yellowing ,etc.

I would however be concerned about the amount of coverage the dealer is offering, the experience level of the dealer-provided installer, and whether or not the paint is properly prepped prior to installation. Dealerships are notorious for applying glazes prior to new car delivery, which masks minor scratches and swirls rather than polishing them out. A professional detail to rid the paint of defects is a must prior to any PPF application.

Seeing that money isn't a concern, I would go ahead and have them install the PPF simply to guard against rock chips inititally. Go to the detailing section of the forum and ask Zach to provide you with a recommended detailer, who will remove the dealer installed film (likely extra $$) and perform a new car prep. Zach likely can reco a good PPF installer as well. I highly recommend getting your full hood, full front fenders, and mirrors covered in PPF and if possible ask the installer to wrap all the edges rather than using pre-cut template kits.
Old 12-18-15, 01:47 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
There is nothing wrong with 3M what so ever. It is a good brand. Do you know if it is self healing like the XPEL brand? I believe both offer similar warranties guarding against yellowing ,etc.

I would however be concerned about the amount of coverage the dealer is offering, the experience level of the dealer-provided installer, and whether or not the paint is properly prepped prior to installation. Dealerships are notorious for applying glazes prior to new car delivery, which masks minor scratches and swirls rather than polishing them out. A professional detail to rid the paint of defects is a must prior to any PPF application.

Seeing that money isn't a concern, I would go ahead and have them install the PPF simply to guard against rock chips inititally. Go to the detailing section of the forum and ask Zach to provide you with a recommended detailer, who will remove the dealer installed film (likely extra $$) and perform a new car prep. Zach likely can reco a good PPF installer as well. I highly recommend getting your full hood, full front fenders, and mirrors covered in PPF and if possible ask the installer to wrap all the edges rather than using pre-cut template kits.
Thanks for replying. Yeah, the place I was thinking of going to do the Xpel is highly recommended here, benchmarkautosalon, and they do wrap around the edges and offer different coverages. And as you suggested, I was planning on going with the full front and a pillars and rocker panels and maybe lower rear quarter panels.
The dealer installed one is pre-cut, but both offer 10 year warranty. I think I will go with the non-dealer option and not really worried about the money. Afterall, they refunded me 2500 dollars for the extended warranty that I bought for my IS-F that I traded in

Last edited by JT2MA71; 12-18-15 at 02:00 PM.