PPE Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 07:59 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PPE Header Install UPDATED W/ VIDEO

UPDATED WITH VIDEO BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, Robert here. Wanted to do a Review of my PPE header install and driveability with the headers on. So I had them installed on 12/11/15 at Project Import out in Orange County, CA, great guys and highly skilled. Its an all day process, and is pretty labor intensive (I wont get into the disassemble process). Thank you Clark @ VIP Auto Salon for getting me the headers and Paul at PPE for all your correspondence throughtout. I opted to get mine Ceramic Coated, here are typical questions someone would ask with my review:

1) Does the Check Engine Light come on? Yes. Mine came on because the O2 conditioners that were sent were not the updated ones but Paul is sending me out the new ones that keep it off without any problem. So technically anyone who does this going forward wont have a light.

2) What sort of power increase can you expect, and didn't Lexus redesign the headers to make more HP since the ISF? Yes, Lexus did redesign the headers but they do not comparable to the quality, design, and optimal performance of PPE, or other quality aftermarket headers for that matter. Now the POWER is very noticeable. The car pulls very hard throughout the powerband and gears. I run Yokohama S-Drive 285/30/20 in the rear and traction is a big issue now at WOT in 1st and 2nd gear. Anyone thinking about doing this mod that lives in Southern California can check it out so they know how it performs/sounds.I don't have exact number gains, but I will be getting a Dyno after the holiday's to post.

3) Since the main catalytic converter is gone is there a gas smell and will it pass Smog? YES, there is a gas smell and NO, it wont pass smog. How bad it smells is subjective, but to me it is pretty noticeable because i'm not use to it. The smell is only there when i'm stopped with the windows down, otherwise its not there.

4) How loud is it? Umm LOUD. I will say if you are in normal mode or eco mode you would never know headers were installed, its that quiet. But when you throw it in Sport/Sport+, it sounds aggressive which is a good thing (not a complaint). No camera or headphones are going to be able to capture the true sound of this thing. It would have to be experience in person, so I wont be doing a video, its just not worth it. I have it paired with the APEXi Resonated Catback Exhaust and i'm still trying to figure out what sound i'm hearing that sounds like a turbo spooling up when i drive hard in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It only makes that sound in those gears and I will probably get a video up of that sound so people can help me figure it out or tell me if it sounds stupid or not. So my setup is a header back exhaust with no primary or secondary cats. So to break it down, quiet/small change under light load and very aggressive under heavy load. No joke.

5) What should I expect to pay? I don't know if prices have been established with PPE and it would also depend on whether you got bare stainless steel or ceramic. Install is a good chunk of money also because its a 6-8 hour job and depends on the shop, location, friend hook up, etc. But assuming you bought the parts and took it to get it installed its close to $3k.

6) Will this void my warranty? Not too sure. But I assume it would depend on the dealer and what issue you were having and whether or not it was because of the headers. Obviously if your power seat wasn't working it would be covered under warranty but if your car overheated and something happened I guess they would blame it on the headers, exhaust, intake, or whatever other thing they could use to deny fixing it. Id say find a dealer that is mod friendly if you did do this modification.

Any other questions feel free to ask here or PM. Again, im in So Cal if anyone wants to scope it out. Here are some pictures.

Last edited by rmsimmonsj; 01-24-16 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added Video
The following users liked this post:
ChronicRCF (03-09-24)
Old 12-14-15, 09:19 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the update! Good to finally see the RCF with headers. I'm looking forward to the Dyno.
Old 12-15-15, 07:09 AM
nelson143
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up. Thank you!! I live in SoCal (Northridge area) I would love to hear your set-up whenever you are around.
Old 12-15-15, 07:43 AM
kareemRCF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great!

Dyno and video please...

i'm very tempted but afraid it would sound too loud for daily driving with my meistershaft exhaust.
Old 12-15-15, 09:56 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

@rmsimmonsj:

I'm in LA area, it would be cool to check your RCF with PPE headers. The first time someone posted PPE headers, it was obnoxiously loud to the point I hear someone banging steel roofs on my iPhone6. How much was the install if you don't mind answering.
Old 12-15-15, 06:00 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please post a video when you can. I have the APEXi Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust and I'm sure its safe to assume its going to be louder than your setup. I just wanted to get a feel of how loud the system is going to be... Thanks in advance bro!

- Art
Old 12-15-15, 06:06 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats again on the headers Robert! That "turbo spool" sound you're hearing could very well be an exhaust leak. I'd probably just have the connections all double checked.

I need to hear your car in person again!
Old 12-15-15, 08:26 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
5) What should I expect to pay? I don't know if prices have been established with PPE and it would also depend on whether you got bare stainless steel or ceramic. Install is a good chunk of money also because its a 6-8 hour job and depends on the shop, location, friend hook up, etc. But assuming you bought the parts and took it to get it installed its close to $3k.
That's not too bad of a price. Curious to hear the sound and see the dyno sheet. Did you dyne it pre-headers to have a comparison? Having an aftermarket exhaust will skew the numbers as well.
Old 12-15-15, 09:06 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a pain in the **** and a deal breaker (SMOG) for CA folks. Don't want any gas smell. Sigh. Aftermarket.

Thanks mucho for sharing your install experience.
Old 12-16-15, 06:42 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool Dyno please?
Old 12-16-15, 10:26 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
That "turbo spool" sound you're hearing could very well be an exhaust leak.
My car does it too and it's fully stock, and I'd say it's a mix between turbo spool and supercharger whine. Definitely not an exhaust leak, at least in my case. Sounds similar to old VFR motorcycles with gear-driven cams (750s, and first year of 800s, before the infamous VTECs), but much more subdued. Can only hear it with the stereo off, and among certain rpm and throttle openings. What would explain it is if the second cam is driven by the first via gears, like on Suzuki V-twin motors (hybrid gear/chain-driven cams). Otherwise it has to be the cam chains IMO. It sounds straight from the engine compartment to be the tranny, but it could be that too. Anyway, it's hard to explain a freaking sound on a keyboard, but I've had exhaust leaks, and this sound is nothing like it. Hopefully somebody can come up with an explanation.
Old 12-17-15, 09:25 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder how much power to wheels u got?
Old 12-18-15, 11:46 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 670 Likes on 591 Posts

Yo, I have to hear this.. I want to hear how this stacks up against my ISF..
Im in the Fullerton, Orange county area! PM ME!!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-19-15, 05:58 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
Yo, I have to hear this.. I want to hear how this stacks up against my ISF..
Im in the Fullerton, Orange county area! PM ME!!
Video!!!...please...lol
Old 12-28-15, 09:37 AM
GixxerGuy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyno! Dyno!

Quick Reply: PPE Header Install