Considering The RC F

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 01:08 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Considering The RC F

Good Day Everyone,

New to the forum and have been lurking the last couple of days.

I'm really interested in the RC F. Only been researching this awesome machine for the past week, but I like what I've read and seen thus far.

I currently drive a 2009 Challenger SRT8, 6spd, with a ProCharger running 8psi, water/meth injection, on a stock engine. I've been running this setup for the past 4 years and has been a blast.

I'm not your typical car guy, because I'm looking at all types of cars and not married to one particula brand or class. In other words, I don't know what I want...lol. Would like to stay under $80K though.

I've also been looking at the M4, C63, Hellcat, and GT350. It won't be my daily driver, more of a fun weekend or special day car. My wife is not into cars and our kids are grown, so it's really just for me....hehe.

Having owned a 1970 Boss 302 during my high school years, the mustang has a special place in my heart. Haven't driven the GT350, but would love the opportunity. After high school, I bought a 1970 LS5 Corvette, which I completely restored over a 2 year period. Also purchased and restored a 1972 Cuda, 440 six pack. Sold my toys before joining the military and 30 years later, here I am looking to get back into the game, so to speak.

Went for a 30 minute test drive in the M4, and although it's a great car, I didn't have that immediate attraction/connection I was looking for. Perhaps it's an acquired taste, but don't know.

The Hellcat, what else can you say. A straight line beast and would have a blast driving it here in Germany on the Autobahn.

But taking the RC F around Nordschleife wouldn't be too bad either...

With that said, I received the attached Quote for a 2015 RC F. The price seems fair, but there aren't too many options over here. Another benefit is that I don't have to pay sales tax.

What are your thoughts on the 2015? Any real difference between the 2015 and 2016? I couldn't find any major differences in my short time in researching the RC F.

Thanks and I look forward to learning more from you guys.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RC_F Quote.pdf (1.20 MB, 281 views)
Old 11-30-15, 02:16 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

From your post, I feel that the GT350 would suit your needs the best.
Old 11-30-15, 02:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

the differences between the 15/16 are the option packages and what is/is not included.

Some things were made stand alone options and removed from the Premium and Performance packages.

as a former 2005 Chrysler 300c Hemi owner (mr. incredible on LxForums if you are member there)., just be aware that the RC-F; like the HEMI's in 2005-2007; has no tuning options available, it will be awhile before the ECU is hacked to allow such things, so if you are planning mods esp. boost you won't have much luck with RC line.

for me personally I am past that modding phase of my life, I bought the RC-F because it was a premium level go-fast coupe out of the box and for me that is plenty, I will never track the car, but I'm an old school muscle car guy and love my big V8 power.
Old 11-30-15, 05:27 PM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2008 ISF with 18k miles on it. Lexus/Toyota makes an extremely great and reliable product, but if you're looking at weekend/ fun car I'd seriously consider a used GTR with 10-20k miles (At least thats what I'm looking into). You can pick up a CLEAN one for about the same price as a base optioned RCF/M4. The two afformentioned would be much better DDs but if you are just looking for performance you can't go wrong with the GTR. If you do decide to go that route make sure you get a printout of how many times the launch control was used with the LC1 transmission software configuration (If you're looking at an 09 Model. Subsequent model years had the upgraded LC2 Software). The LC1 transmission would destroy 1st gear if the launch control was used a few too many times. Most 09 GTRs upgraded to LC2 which solved this problem. You can even upgrade to LC5 now with a simple Cobb Accessport (This makes the shifting much smoother and greatly enhances everyday driving as well as trackability if thats what you are looking for.) I have been researching the used GTR market for a bit and these links really helped:
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...cial-gt-r-faq/
http://www.2009gtr.com/2010/12/used-...2009-2011.html
These are just my opinions and facts that I have learned in researching the car, if I am wrong in some manner, please correct me
I hope this helps and make sure to post whatever ride you do get on here!
(Just read through that and it sounds formal as ******! That's what you get from going to school all day )

Last edited by CK21; 11-30-15 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 05:46 PM
CK21
Driver

Originally Posted by Phinatic
Good Day Everyone,

New to the forum and have been lurking the last couple of days.

I'm really interested in the RC F. Only been researching this awesome machine for the past week, but I like what I've read and seen thus far.

I currently drive a 2009 Challenger SRT8, 6spd, with a ProCharger running 8psi, water/meth injection, on a stock engine. I've been running this setup for the past 4 years and has been a blast.

I'm not your typical car guy, because I'm looking at all types of cars and not married to one particula brand or class. In other words, I don't know what I want...lol. Would like to stay under $80K though.

I've also been looking at the M4, C63, Hellcat, and GT350. It won't be my daily driver, more of a fun weekend or special day car. My wife is not into cars and our kids are grown, so it's really just for me....hehe.

Having owned a 1970 Boss 302 during my high school years, the mustang has a special place in my heart. Haven't driven the GT350, but would love the opportunity. After high school, I bought a 1970 LS5 Corvette, which I completely restored over a 2 year period. Also purchased and restored a 1972 Cuda, 440 six pack. Sold my toys before joining the military and 30 years later, here I am looking to get back into the game, so to speak.

Went for a 30 minute test drive in the M4, and although it's a great car, I didn't have that immediate attraction/connection I was looking for. Perhaps it's an acquired taste, but don't know.

The Hellcat, what else can you say. A straight line beast and would have a blast driving it here in Germany on the Autobahn.

But taking the RC F around Nordschleife wouldn't be too bad either...

With that said, I received the attached Quote for a 2015 RC F. The price seems fair, but there aren't too many options over here. Another benefit is that I don't have to pay sales tax.

What are your thoughts on the 2015? Any real difference between the 2015 and 2016? I couldn't find any major differences in my short time in researching the RC F.

Thanks and I look forward to learning more from you guys.

Joe
I hate to keep on offering cars that were not listed by you, BUT I'd also check out the new Camaro Z/28. Those things are sick.
But between the cars you listed, my vote is for the AMG or the RCF. Drove an earlier model year AMG (2011 I believe) and that car definitely put a smile on my face. Chose the ISF though because it put an even bigger smile on my face .
Old 11-30-15, 08:57 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

AMG and M4 are 100% not in your price range. Base car, yes....but loaded up they are into the 90s. I would suggest you read this post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...r-the-rcf.html

Speaking from my personal experience, this suspension setup resolved all that I thought was wrong with the RCF. I though the car was too sloppy stock and the ***-end was all over the place when really getting into it. When getting used to the car, I was scared to corner with it due to thinking I would lose her. The suspension fixed it all.

I chose the lexus for a few reasons.
A) I had a 3rd Gen IS 350 F sport and loved it. ( very modded ) the interior and technology was far superior to any car in its class. The Lexus enform ( service for nav ), the gauges, the seats, the ICE, etc. It was just cool to me and benz and bmw kinda miss the mark.
B) I have a sick hook up at lexus
C) I wanted luxury and wow factor coupled with speed. AMG and M3/4 are nice rides, but they lack the wow factor outside of their logos or names. Everyone that opens the door to my RCF says look at those seats, the carbon, the alcaterra.....they really are taken back
D) for 80k and under its a lot of car for the money.

The z/28 or zl1 camaro cant keep up with the RCF. They are straight line cars that are simply too heavy to take into the corners. MB is nice. But like BMW every damn option costs $$. When loaded again, youre into the 90s all day If you're buying a car of this caliber, I cant see not having all the options. Thats just me. ( and I know thats an issue ). As for pricing on the RCF, I know that 15s arent selling too well and dealers are discounting what stock they have. So, I would shop around and know that lexus is into dec to remember now. So theres another spiff to look at.

Good luck, I dont knock the GTR but you got to have deep deep pockets to mod it. Those parts dont come cheap. AMS, AAM, and Baker Performance are all local to me. There are some faaaaast GTRs in the DC area. Cant say one bad thing about the car, uet my RCF is a DD so I chose it for that reason too.

Cheers.
Old 11-30-15, 09:36 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
AMG and M4 are 100% not in your price range. Base car, yes....but loaded up they are into the 90s. I would suggest you read this post.

Speaking from my personal experience, this suspension setup resolved all that I thought was wrong with the RCF. I though the car was too sloppy stock and the ***-end was all over the place when really getting into it. When getting used to the car, I was scared to corner with it due to thinking I would lose her. The suspension fixed it all.

A) I had a 3rd Gen IS 350 F sport and loved it. ( very modded ) the interior and technology was far superior to any car in its class. The Lexus enform ( service for nav ), the gauges, the seats, the ICE, etc. It was just cool to me and benz and bmw kinda miss the mark.
C) I wanted luxury and wow factor coupled with speed. AMG and M3/4 are nice rides, but they lack the wow factor outside of their logos or names. Everyone that opens the door to my RCF says look at those seats, the carbon, the alcaterra.....they really are taken back

The z/28 or zl1 camaro cant keep up with the RCF. They are straight line cars that are simply too heavy to take into the corners. MB is nice. But like BMW every damn option costs $$. When loaded again, youre into the 90s all day If you're buying a car of this caliber, I cant see not having all the options. Thats just me. ( and I know thats an issue ). As for pricing on the RCF, I know that 15s arent selling too well and dealers are discounting what stock they have. So, I would shop around and know that lexus is into dec to remember now. So theres another spiff to look at.

Good luck, I dont knock the GTR but you got to have deep deep pockets to mod it. Those parts dont come cheap. AMS, AAM, and Baker Performance are all local to me. There are some faaaaast GTRs in the DC area. Cant say one bad thing about the car, uet my RCF is a DD so I chose it for that reason too.

Cheers.
The only way you are getting an M4 into the 90's is by ordering CCB's and individual paint. Most normally optioned cars are in the high 70s/low 80s.

And your info about the camaros is wrong, as well. Yes...they are straight line beasts but they both have phenomenal handling, as well. It's is the RCF...or any other cars in the segment other than the GT350...that will struggle to keep up with the Chevy.
Old 11-30-15, 10:31 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
It's is the RCF...or any other cars in the segment other than the GT350...that will struggle to keep up with the Chevy.
Indeed (they weigh the same). Drove an SS at Bondurant, and actually handles better than the RC-F with its crappy alignment... which you can't change without replacing suspension components (camber arms). But man, it's an absolute POS inside (and outside too).
Old 11-30-15, 11:06 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

To set the record straight, I looked at an m4 and m3. Fully loaded, in the 90s. With Hud, etc and with carbon ceramics. The car I test drove was dead on 90k. M4s are all special order as there simply aren't any in the us. This is coming from my local Bmw dealer. Likewise, I did state the suspension needed to be swapped out as I have done. See my link. Full coil over swap w rear coil conversion. I was on the track with a zl1 he had on springs to drop the car and he couldn't handle the twisties. I'm a fan of the all cars. My buddy owned a zl1 and its was proper. Yet for the money I agree. The camera Looks cheap inside and out.
Old 12-01-15, 04:40 AM
CK21
Driver

Cheers.
Z/28 beat a GTR and Porsche around the corners but lost in the straights.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevr...-r-comparison/
I think the z/28 is pretty bare for a DD but there is no denying it is a good track day car. RCF is leaps and bounds a better overall car, but do I see it beating a GTR around a track? Short answer: No.
Side note, Baker is literally 5 minutes from my house... I know where I'm bring mine when I get it!
Old 12-01-15, 12:47 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
From your post, I feel that the GT350 would suit your needs the best.
Yeah, it's definitely in the running. Not being a DD, I could forego the amenities and build quality, but having a hard time convincing myself.

Originally Posted by mjeds
for me personally I am past that modding phase of my life, I bought the RC-F because it was a premium level go-fast coupe out of the box and for me that is plenty, I will never track the car, but I'm an old school muscle car guy and love my big V8 power.
I know what you mean, I'm getting to that point also, and so is the wife! She already told me that she doesn't want to see me installing an aftermarket SC or TT like I did with the Challenger. Now if it just so happens to be a factory option, well then...

Originally Posted by CK21
I have a 2008 ISF with 18k miles on it. Lexus/Toyota makes an extremely great and reliable product, but if you're looking at weekend/ fun car I'd seriously consider a used GTR with 10-20k miles (At least thats what I'm looking into). You can pick up a CLEAN one for about the same price as a base optioned RCF/M4. The two afformentioned would be much better DDs but if you are just looking for performance you can't go wrong with the GTR.
I hope this helps and make sure to post whatever ride you do get on here!
(Just read through that and it sounds formal as ******! That's what you get from going to school all day )
I haven't given the GTR any thought until now that you mentioned it. Perhaps another car just made the list...lol

I hate to keep on offering cars that were not listed by you, BUT I'd also check out the new Camaro Z/28. Those things are sick.
But between the cars you listed, my vote is for the AMG or the RCF. Drove an earlier model year AMG (2011 I believe) and that car definitely put a smile on my face. Chose the ISF though because it put an even bigger smile on my face .
I'm with ya on the Z28. Performance wise, the Z28 stands up to the best of them in it's price range, but I just can't get past the way I sit in the car and the visibility...I just feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable.

Cheers.
In regards to the AMG, I agree, it's probably just out of my price range optioned out. No sense in buying a base model and not take the opportunity to enjoy the full experience. But the M4 is in my range. I've already been quoted $71,360 for a 2016 with metallic paint, driver's assistance plus, executive package, DCT, and 19" alloy wheels.

Your reason "C" is something I'm taking a hard look at. I love the look of the RF C, especially after your visit with Rafi, it looks really really good. Going for a test drive tomorrow, so I hope to experience the luxury/performance aspect of the RF C.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Indeed (they weigh the same). Drove an SS at Bondurant, and actually handles better than the RC-F with its crappy alignment... which you can't change without replacing suspension components (camber arms). But man, it's an absolute POS inside (and outside too).
Agree. Cheap plastic everywhere and the visibility is horrendous.

I would like to thank everyone for their inputs and comments. It's refreshing to hear non-biased opinions from actual RC F owners, not something you see on most boards. You've definitely given me some food for thought as I head into my test drive tomorrow.
Old 12-01-15, 12:59 PM
CK21
Driver

Originally Posted by Phinatic
Yeah, it's definitely in the running. Not being a DD, I could forego the amenities and build quality, but having a hard time convincing myself.

I know what you mean, I'm getting to that point also, and so is the wife! She already told me that she doesn't want to see me installing an aftermarket SC or TT like I did with the Challenger. Now if it just so happens to be a factory option, well then...

I haven't given the GTR any thought until now that you mentioned it. Perhaps another car just made the list...lol

I'm with ya on the Z28. Performance wise, the Z28 stands up to the best of them in it's price range, but I just can't get past the way I sit in the car and the visibility...I just feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable.

In regards to the AMG, I agree, it's probably just out of my price range optioned out. No sense in buying a base model and not take the opportunity to enjoy the full experience. But the M4 is in my range. I've already been quoted $71,360 for a 2016 with metallic paint, driver's assistance plus, executive package, DCT, and 19" alloy wheels.

Your reason "C" is something I'm taking a hard look at. I love the look of the RF C, especially after your visit with Rafi, it looks really really good. Going for a test drive tomorrow, so I hope to experience the luxury/performance aspect of the RF C.

Agree. Cheap plastic everywhere and the visibility is horrendous.

I would like to thank everyone for their inputs and comments. It's refreshing to hear non-biased opinions from actual RC F owners, not something you see on most boards. You've definitely given me some food for thought as I head into my test drive tomorrow.
I can sympathize with you on the Z/28s cockpit. I am 6'0 200lb athletic build and am severely cramped in it, not saying my ISF is the roomiest car though ! I would definitely choose between the RCF and the GTR, personally. I was actually doing this comparison about two weeks ago and realized that maintenance aside I could get a very well taken care of GTR for the same price as a new RCF. The maintenance cost is the only thing that might disuade you, but as a single male who will be living in a family owned apartment I personally will have very few expenses. Check out the cost to own for the GTR vs the RCF before you pull the trigger. I have only looked at the GTRs cost to own so I can't compare it, but I assume the RCF is a bit cheaper. Both a definitely great choices. Keep us up to date and let us know how the test drive goes.
Old 12-01-15, 05:19 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I can sympathize with you on the Z/28s cockpit. I am 6'0 200lb athletic build and am severely cramped in it, not saying my ISF is the roomiest car though ! I would definitely choose between the RCF and the GTR, personally. I was actually doing this comparison about two weeks ago and realized that maintenance aside I could get a very well taken care of GTR for the same price as a new RCF. The maintenance cost is the only thing that might disuade you, but as a single male who will be living in a family owned apartment I personally will have very few expenses. Check out the cost to own for the GTR vs the RCF before you pull the trigger. I have only looked at the GTRs cost to own so I can't compare it, but I assume the RCF is a bit cheaper. Both a definitely great choices. Keep us up to date and let us know how the test drive goes.
Haven't seen Anybody mention the Ride Quality in the GTR compared to the RCF, isn't it suppose to be Really BAD?
Old 12-01-15, 06:05 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

are you kidding? I came from a Camaro SS, I am 6'1 280 lbs and the Camaro was hella roomy for me. Especially upper body/shoulders.

the RC-F is very snug, as my buddy said, you need a shoe horn to squeeze into it.

I find the RC-F to be very snug for my frame, justification to lose some weight I guess. but I doubt it will help with my overall build, I was a body builder from 1986 until 2003 and have very wide shoulders (58") and chest (50") and thick quads (28").

Even dropping 60lbs I doubt will do much except get my beer keg belly out of the way of the steering wheel.
Old 12-01-15, 06:36 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a '69 Boss 302 that I purchased new back in the day. So I hear ya about the 350. I have not driven one, but I understand it has about the loudest street-legal exhaust extant. It's a track animal. If it's really weekends only, it might work for you. It seems difficult to really compare it with a Lexus. The RC F will be much more reliable. The 350 is, after all is said and done, still a Ford. Enjoy whatever you end up with!

Quick Reply: Considering The RC F