RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rock VS Windshield ...rock wins :(

Old 11-18-15, 10:20 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rock VS Windshield ...rock wins :(

I was heading into work this morning, enjoying the RC F in the morning as always and I see two big trunks carrying dirt in the right lane. I need to get off at the next exit so I moved 2 lanes over to get away from them, and moved back over. As I'm exiting a semi truck was also exiting, just your standard old semi and I just see this huge rock come flying and bash the lower middle of the windshield. It was about the size of a penny, so I thought okay I might be okay and get it fixed. As I park I see the crack grow and bam you see the line go across the windshield. Fawk!

Really? I've got a little shy of 1500 miles, and that **** happens? Brand new freaking car! I had my Nissan 350Z for 11 years, and not one rock. *face palm*

What bothers me is I will know it's not from factory. I had to replace a side window in another car, and I could always hear the wind.

My problem is I just care for my stuff to much, especially my cars. You know how we are with our cars, we take pride in them. We all worked hard to get them, and we just want to enjoy them.

It's going to cost me $1,100 bucks to fix with the OEM windshield. My deductible is $1,000 so I'm just going to pay it out of pocket, keep insurance out of it. Sucks.

Cheers,
Old 11-19-15, 04:42 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain brother!

800km's into ownership and I got a tiny little rock in the black section on the bottom of the windshield.

It proceeded to crack straight up and straight over directly through my line of sight.
Old 11-19-15, 05:09 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

That really stinks, I've had to replace the windshield on my vehicles more times than I care to remember over the years.

Last edited by JT4; 11-19-15 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-19-15, 05:37 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I was heading into work this morning, enjoying the RC F in the morning as always and I see two big trunks carrying dirt in the right lane. I need to get off at the next exit so I moved 2 lanes over to get away from them, and moved back over. As I'm exiting a semi truck was also exiting, just your standard old semi and I just see this huge rock come flying and bash the lower middle of the windshield. It was about the size of a penny, so I thought okay I might be okay and get it fixed. As I park I see the crack grow and bam you see the line go across the windshield. Fawk!

Really? I've got a little shy of 1500 miles, and that **** happens? Brand new freaking car! I had my Nissan 350Z for 11 years, and not one rock. *face palm*

What bothers me is I will know it's not from factory. I had to replace a side window in another car, and I could always hear the wind.

My problem is I just care for my stuff to much, especially my cars. You know how we are with our cars, we take pride in them. We all worked hard to get them, and we just want to enjoy them.

It's going to cost me $1,100 bucks to fix with the OEM windshield. My deductible is $1,000 so I'm just going to pay it out of pocket, keep insurance out of it. Sucks.

Cheers,

Very unfortunate that happened, but I would be glad it was only the windshield and not the hood. Imagine if that rock came flying up across the top of the hood and scratched/chipped that up...
Old 11-19-15, 07:12 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Ouch, hopefully the fix comes out perfect for you.

I was driving home from the dealer and a passenger truck kicked a rock on my window, thankfully it only chipped the window and not crack it. But I get what you're saying, it's like I can't have anything nice!
Old 11-19-15, 08:58 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the shield replaced on my GS years ago. The key thing is to have them do the shield in the early morning and have the car sit for 3-4 hours to allow it to set.

Let Lexus oversee the replacement with a preferred vendor.

You should be fine.
Old 11-19-15, 10:58 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The suck part is even you replace with OEM it will still 15% wind noise than before. I hope yours is not. I Feel bad for you and time will make you forget about it.
Old 11-20-15, 11:16 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Thanks guys! I don't know why, but it feels so much better to come on the forums and just let it out. Everybody here understands and just simply feels for you. We are all car guys and love our cars.

If I could pay a monthly fee to protect all our cars, I would do it! Obviously I would have to be incredibly rich beyond belief, but you guys know what I mean.

Speaking of protection, has anybody put that protective film on their front bumper? Is that worth it? I noticed two small rock bits on the bumper. I know this comes with the territory, but maybe eliminate some hits?

Cheers,
Old 11-20-15, 11:44 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I apply Clearplex windshield film and 3M clear bra on all my new cars. Saved me several times over tens of thousands of miles. Sorry to hear.
Old 11-21-15, 11:00 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd get it done at the dealer buddy. I've never had good luck with those 2 mobile companies (Autolite and the other), even at their places. And as somebody mentioned, wind noise was awful after that. Probably thinner glass. I'd only do an OEM windshield replaced at a dealer now. Especially if it's over your deductible. I did exactly what you're thinking all for not making a claim, but it was a mistake. Good luck.
Old 11-22-15, 10:16 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

this is why I bought the windshield warranty from the dealer, I've cracked the windshields on my last 3 vehicles at least once due to road debris, the warranty made sense. No stress over it and gets replaced with an OEM windshield.

funny story, guy at my work shattered his windshield this past summer because he left his bic lighter on the dash and in the 100° heat it exploded and took out his windshield. BMW M3, $1800 for the windshield because of the HUD.
Old 11-23-15, 11:24 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
this is why I bought the windshield warranty from the dealer, I've cracked the windshields on my last 3 vehicles at least once due to road debris, the warranty made sense. No stress over it and gets replaced with an OEM windshield.

funny story, guy at my work shattered his windshield this past summer because he left his bic lighter on the dash and in the 100° heat it exploded and took out his windshield. BMW M3, $1800 for the windshield because of the HUD.
wtf?! I never was offered that warranty, only that spill proof crap. Damn it!! Let me guess, I can't add that now can I? I think it's worth it, along with that clear bra. I should of done that right away, but I didn't and now I have 2 rock dents. Not sure if that will matter if I lay on the protective bra.

Oh and I got a call from Lexus today. The car is once again delayed!! They put on the new windshield and it was scratched, so they have to order another one. Somebody shoot me, please just do it.
Old 11-24-15, 06:01 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Got my first rock chip on my windshield last Sunday at only 150 miles on the Odometer
Old 11-25-15, 11:20 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

I got the car back today. I let it sit at the dealer for 24hours after the work was done, to let that windshield settle nicely.

It feels soooo good to have that power and driving back. I can't tell the difference, they did a super clean job.

@JT2MA71 I feel for you mate, I really do man. It's the worst feeling. Not sure if your insurance covers you. I need to look into adding it for my car, because these rocks are ridiculous.
Old 12-09-15, 03:27 PM
3pitbulls
Driver School Candidate

Did you had A Lexus dealer replaced the windshield or a separate company?
I just noticed my new RCF has a cracked windshield and want to change it aswell but i much rather Lexus do it..my deductible is only $100..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rock VS Windshield ...rock wins :(