RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Expert mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 12:04 PM
Defiant81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert mode?

I've searched all over the internet and this forum looking but couldn't find my answer.

How does one access expert mode?

Thanks
Old 11-18-15, 12:11 PM
Darkside81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about this as well. I remember pre-release some reviewers mentioned this mode but were told they could not divulge the process of accessing it. I'm sure someone will figure it out eventually. I'm hoping that it improves down shifts but that's probably a pipe dream.
Old 11-18-15, 12:47 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe its- put in sport+ mode and then hold traction control button for 3 seconds.

Could be wrong tho...there are videos of it on youtube.
Old 11-18-15, 01:47 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
I believe its- put in sport+ mode and then hold traction control button for 3 seconds.

Could be wrong tho...there are videos of it on youtube.

no it's sport + mode then touch the traction control button once and quickly release. EXPERT will show next to Sport + on the gauge.

it turns off all the nannies, and I mean all. .

I played with it on a back road and was able to do a power brake launch and the tires spun through 3rd gear, be careful though as the back end likes to fish tail and slide sideways (I don't have TVD). .
Old 11-18-15, 06:55 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

There's unnamed mode too. It's expert on crack. I spun the car like a top, yet I was on a skid pad. I don't trust myself driving in expert mode just yet.
Old 11-18-15, 09:26 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
it turns off all the nannies, and I mean all.
That's not correct, but close. Expert mode turns all nannies off EXCEPT stability control in the background (warning light still on, making you believe is truly off... but it's not). It's set to intervene at a high threshold that your average Joe can't achieve. But it's there for you if needed. I tested it, and it's about perfect IMO. It intervenes when you're about 30º sideways by my estimation, so you can still have plenty of safe fun. Tried it without expert mode (all nannies off), and the car spun out of control with no intervention. In most cars you simply cannot deactivate all nannies, so it's a welcome feature. But please don't try it unless you know what you're doing. Or on an empty parking lot or something.

To disable ALL nannies you need to hold the same T/C button down for 3 seconds, and the only difference from expert mode is no yellow expert mode light, meaning the same orange warning lights remain (traction control off, stability control off, etc). By the way, if you have the optional radar cruise, engaging either of those modes also turns PCS off. This thing can be very dangerous if you're driving aggressively on 2-lane highways, from an aggressive pass, to right-hand curve facing an oncoming car (it can slam the brakes). There's a switch to turn it off below the steering wheel FYI folks. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-18-15 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 09:44 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what everybody else says.. just don't be like Jeremy Clarkson and run it off the freaking track.

Old 11-18-15, 10:13 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
just don't be like Jeremy Clarkson and run it off the freaking track.
He should have turned everything off driving like that. He was fighting VSC, which makes the car unpredictable if you're trying to control it too. Can't believe he didn't know how to turn it off; he just wanted to slam the car IMO. HATE when reviewers critique a car for what they want it to be, rather than for what it is. And expecting a 4-seater coupe to be like a $400K supercar is just idiotic. I never liked that guy, so wasn't sad when he was dumped.
Old 11-19-15, 07:25 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
He should have turned everything off driving like that. He was fighting VSC, which makes the car unpredictable if you're trying to control it too. Can't believe he didn't know how to turn it off; he just wanted to slam the car IMO. HATE when reviewers critique a car for what they want it to be, rather than for what it is. And expecting a 4-seater coupe to be like a $400K supercar is just idiotic. I never liked that guy, so wasn't sad when he was dumped.

have to agree Clarkson is an ***.

the issue I see with him is always the same, if he doesn't like a vehicle to start with before he even gets in it, there is nothing the vehicle can do to change his mind.

he was very verbal about his dislikes of the RC-F's appearance before he ever tested it, so he went into it bias. He does that for a lot of vehicles. And frankly I believe he stages a lot of the "issues" he has driving various vehicles, like the RC-F going onto the grass, I don't believe for a minute he lost control, but rather he intentionally did so.
Old 11-22-15, 06:42 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That's not correct, but close. Expert mode turns all nannies off EXCEPT stability control in the background (warning light still on, making you believe is truly off... but it's not). It's set to intervene at a high threshold that your average Joe can't achieve.
. . .
Lol, based on my experience . . . it is the average Joes that are prone to operating outside the limits! They tend to only see 9/10s for a brief fraction of a second on their way to blowing right throw 10/10ths. Experienced drivers, especially old school, generally hate electronics as the intrusion at or near the limits can be very unsettling and very unnecessary.
Old 11-22-15, 06:54 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Nah, he just got annoyed about turn in and rather than trying correct, he just intentionally stayed on or increased throttle to make the car plow throw the turn. He is an experienced driver and understeer is an easy correct. No experienced driver, and I stress the word NO, would have that happen on a track. His little foray had zero to do with electronics or unintended consequences.

I actually find the RCF fairly neutral and can easily get the fronts to grip with small throttle/weight adjustments or tiny steering inputs. The RCF does not require trail braking and turns in just fine.

My gues is Stig put up a really good track time that did not correspond to JC's agenda so it was ditched. Jeremy was simply protesting weight and his fabricated understeer performance drama was his over the top means of doing so.
Old 11-23-15, 08:09 AM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And expecting a 4-seater coupe to be like a $400K supercar is just idiotic.
I disagree. Look at Mercedes, the $300k SLS Black Series vs a 4-seater C63 Coupe (or if you want, the C63 Black Series). The C63 gives up a bit on noise, raw handling, and performance, but underneath it all it's definitely comparable. You get a lot of the $300k supercar attributes in a $70k ($100k for the BS) car.

The RC-F, you get none of that. It's an apples to oranges comparison to the LF-A. Honestly, it wouldn't have taken much to make it comparable to the LFA, a bit more aggressive on intake and exhaust noises, and dial the handling a little more aggressively to give it a bit of a raw edge. Unfortunately, that would move the goalposts to the market segment that Lexus wants to target with the RC-F, which sadly isn't the performance oriented driver.

Originally Posted by DougHII
I actually find the RCF fairly neutral and can easily get the fronts to grip with small throttle/weight adjustments or tiny steering inputs. The RCF does not require trail braking and turns in just fine.
Really, you need to go out and drive more cars. The RC-F does well at 7/10ths out of the box, so yea, it's not going to understeer if you're not going fast enough. Push it any more than that, it's a sloppy mess.
Old 11-23-15, 10:39 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol, based on my experience . . . it is the average Joes that are prone to operating outside the limits! They tend to only see 9/10s for a brief fraction of a second on their way to blowing right throw 10/10ths. Experienced drivers, especially old school, generally hate electronics as the intrusion at or near the limits can be very unsettling and very unnecessary.
I would have to agree with this. The past 5 cars I have owned (ranging from 300-500hp) have all been easier to drive with ALL of the nannies turned off. That was not something I did right from the start, that was based off of learning the car over just a couple of months and understanding the turn in, weight transfer, and breaking point of the tires, etc. I guess it's all personal preference but I prefer complete control.
Old 11-23-15, 05:30 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rage2

Really, you need to go out and drive more cars. The RC-F does well at 7/10ths out of the box, so yea, it's not going to understeer if you're not going fast enough. Push it any more than that, it's a sloppy mess.
Lol, started racing karts at 13 in 1980s, began SCCA and club racing Porsches before I graduated from high school, have had seat time in everything from various spec to Formula Atlantic/Dodge/Mazda/Mazda Pro and Champ Atlantic open wheel to GT2 and GT3 Cup closed wheel. I have also taught at Skip Barber, Porsche Driving Experience, nationally certified PCA instructor and instructed for BMW CCA, PBOC Racing, Audi and Chin.

Growing up racing air cooled 911s will force you to learn the art of trail braking. Know all about understeer. The RCF is very predictable and I can get the front to grip with tiny throttle steer adjustments.

Last edited by DougHII; 11-23-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 06:18 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, started racing karts at 13 in 1980s, began SCCA and club racing Porsches before I graduated from high school, have had seat time in everything from various spec to Formula Atlantic/Dodge/Mazda/Mazda Pro and Champ Atlantic open wheel to GT2 and GT3 Cup closed wheel. I have also taught at Skip Barber, Porsche Driving Experience, nationally certified PCA instructor and instructed for BMW CCA, PBOC Racing, Audi and Chin.
That's it? You need to drive more cars.

Quick Reply: Expert mode?