RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 06:12 AM
RCFun
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads

I thought this was worthy of a new thread because I have not seen other comments or other solutions that were Lexus provided.

Background: I had horrendous squealing from the moment I got my RC F. At the 1,000 service (1,200 actually) I complained and they ordered new pads from Lexus (parts # 04465-0W200 front, 04466-0W080 rear). All covered under warranty with a TSB but retail is about $1,100.

Update: I have now put 600 miles on these pads...

Squeal: Non-existent
Dust: Very minimal (pretty amazing really)
Performance: no noticeable difference to me (however I do not track my car)

Overall I've been very please with the solution and it's been better than expected. The pads did take 4 days to get into the dealership however.
Old 11-14-15, 08:28 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFun
I thought this was worthy of a new thread because I have not seen other comments or other solutions that were Lexus provided.

Background: I had horrendous squealing from the moment I got my RC F. At the 1,000 service (1,200 actually) I complained and they ordered new pads from Lexus (parts # 04465-0W200 front, 04466-0W080 rear). All covered under warranty with a TSB but retail is about $1,100.

Overall I've been very please with the solution and it's been better than expected. The pads did take 4 days to get into the dealership however.
THAT IS GREAT TO HEAR. The squealing on my RCF breaks is unreal and quite ridiculous. I already scheduled a service appointment, but I will be sure to call in advance and request this. Thanks
Old 11-14-15, 12:50 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have the TSB number?
Old 11-14-15, 04:37 PM
RCFun
Driver

I don't have the TSB number. I asked the service manager "have there been a lot of squeal complaints" and he answered, "some, but there's a TSB". that was it
Old 11-14-15, 04:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I don't have the TSB number. I asked the service manager "have there been a lot of squeal complaints" and he answered, "some, but there's a TSB". that was it
He should be able to provide you the LSB - Lexus Service Bulletin number for your records..

Or even a copy of the PDF

Joe Z
Old 11-14-15, 07:54 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My service advisor tells me the replacements under the TSB are Brembos.
Old 11-14-15, 10:50 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Somebody please post a copy, or at least a number for the 'LSB' in question. I could bet my house my small dealer will either play dumb, or honestly say they don't have it. I don't have any squealing issues, although it's not that cold yet. Maybe they'll get worse. But the dust alone is reason enough to change. Just hope it has exactly the same brake pedal feel and performance, because brake pedal modulation and feel is one of the best features of this car IMO. Thanks.
Old 11-15-15, 06:08 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just contacted mine about it. I have dealt with the squealing since 2009 with my ISF's however the RCF is without a doubt the worst.

The dust is also horrendous.

I will report back what the Canadian* Lexus dealers say
Old 11-15-15, 06:41 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm in pretty good with my dealer. I'll call in the morning and get the TSB/LSB and post it. I'm sure most of you know it goes by your VIN#, so some might have it and some might not qualify for the replacement ( if there is one )
Old 11-15-15, 06:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

$1100 for pads?
Old 11-15-15, 09:21 AM
RCFun
Driver

If you google the part # the top link is to Lexuspartsnow with a retail of $578 and $496 (front and rear respectively) + Labor

I don't know if it is VIN dependent and the TSB is not printed on my work order just the special order and part numbers. The service guy mentioned because the work was over $1000 he needed manager approval but they never resisted in the slightest to do it. I'm very happy with the whole interaction and outcome.

As a side note, I did do a test drive with the tech so that he could hear the squealing which was bad. I don't know if they would do the replacement just for dust. Also I live in FL and my squealing got worse the hotter the brakes became.
Old 11-15-15, 11:35 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for posting this up RCFun. I'm in SoCal and will call my dealership up tomorrow.

I washed my RCF today, and I thought gosh I wish my rims would show like this all the time, and not all this brake dust. And I heard a horrendous squeal the other day getting off freeway. Embarrassing when a 2005 Corolla pulls up quietly.

Thanks again! Cheers!!
Old 11-16-15, 06:27 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made an appointment for this Thursday, I will let you guys know the outcome.
Old 11-16-15, 10:12 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I called my Dealership just to see what they would say (i've already replaced mine with the CarboTechs) & they said there is a Replacement that is supposed to Help with the Squealing Pads but that's it, they said the New Pads Doesn't have Anything to do with the Dust Problem
Old 11-16-15, 03:54 PM
RCFun
Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I called my Dealership just to see what they would say (i've already replaced mine with the CarboTechs) & they said there is a Replacement that is supposed to Help with the Squealing Pads but that's it, they said the New Pads Doesn't have Anything to do with the Dust Problem

In my opinion they are really saying that they are not willing to pay to replace the pads just because the customer doesn't like the dust. Therefore you have to have the squealing for them to replace it. But seriously...there is really very little dust.
The following users liked this post:
8901alex (10-08-17)

Quick Reply: Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads