RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

No synthetic oil for RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 12:29 PM
BAlbright
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No synthetic oil for RCF?

I just had my first oil change and learned that the RCF doesn't use synthetic oil. I recently retired from 21 years of auto sales where I sold Honda, Acura, and Subaru. All newer models of those cars come with and recommend synthetic oil. Interesting also to note that the lower models of the RC do, in fact, use synthetic oil. As mentioned, my car experience had to do with sales...so I have a hard time trying to figure out why this would be. So.... technicians out there...enlighten me! Thanks
Old 11-11-15, 02:48 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BAlbright
I just had my first oil change and learned that the RCF doesn't use synthetic oil. I recently retired from 21 years of auto sales where I sold Honda, Acura, and Subaru. All newer models of those cars come with and recommend synthetic oil. Interesting also to note that the lower models of the RC do, in fact, use synthetic oil. As mentioned, my car experience had to do with sales...so I have a hard time trying to figure out why this would be. So.... technicians out there...enlighten me! Thanks
I asked the same question of my service advisor (who wasn't the sharpest), I think his logic, which didn't make much sense to me, was that since it's a high performance engine, they want you to change your oil more frequently and not go 10,000 miles between oil changes. While I don't buy that logic, since there are so many advantages of running synthetic, Lexus obviously has a reasoning behind it so for now I'm sticking with conventional until there is more factual information to be had.
Old 11-11-15, 02:55 PM
Akiho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAlbright
Hi, BALbright...

How are you? I just had a first free oil change service @5000 miles @Longo Lexus, in El Monte, California last week. I was told what was going to happen on my first service and my rep told me of the regular oil change with an added solution and no Synthetic Oil. I asked if I could upgrade it and pay for it. He spoke with his Manager and said the 1st and 2nd free services are done like this. He said I could pay for the Synthetic Oil Service on my 3rd visit. It seemed weird at first but what the heck, it's free and I will only use synthetic after my 2nd free service.

Besides that, I have NOT encountered any issues with the Rear Spoiler, Fuel Pump and Interior Noise that some members are and were having. Just the minor squeaky brakes here and there. I will definitely put on some ceramic brake pads once these are worn out. Please drive safe and be careful out there.

Oh, Happy Veteran's Day to the Military Guys/Gals on this forum. Thank you very much for your Service.

Regards,
Akiho

Last edited by Akiho; 11-11-15 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Misspelled words..
Old 11-11-15, 02:58 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Requiring 10 quarts, conventional does reduce the cost over the years and my theory is that conventional may just have been the oil used in the millions of miles of testing this engine endured in testing & R&D.
Old 11-11-15, 03:14 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Requiring 10 quarts, conventional does reduce the cost over the years and my theory is that conventional may just have been the oil used in the millions of miles of testing this engine endured in testing & R&D.
Our engine takes 10 quarts???
Old 11-11-15, 03:56 PM
6i9
Driver

Are you sure you get a free oil change at 10,000 miles? My understanding is the first 2 service intervals that are free are at 1,000 miles (no oil change involved) and 5,000 miles (oil change incl). After that, all maintenance is subject to customer's responsibility

Originally Posted by Akiho
Hi, BALbright...

How are you? I just had a first free oil change service @5000 miles @Longo Lexus, in El Monte, California last week. I was told what was going to happen on my first service and my rep told me of the regular oil change with an added solution and no Synthetic Oil. I asked if I could upgrade it and pay for it. He spoke with his Manager and said the 1st and 2nd free services are done like this. He said I could pay for the Synthetic Oil Service on my 3rd visit. It seemed weird at first but what the heck, it's free and I will only use synthetic after my 2nd free service.

Besides that, I have NOT encountered any issues with the Rear Spoiler, Fuel Pump and Interior Noise that some members are and were having. Just the minor squeaky brakes here and there. I will definitely put on some ceramic brake pads once these are worn out. Please drive safe and be careful out there.

Oh, Happy Veteran's Day to the Military Guys/Gals on this forum. Thank you very much for your Service.

Regards,
Akiho
Old 11-11-15, 04:07 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
Our engine takes 10 quarts???
Basically. Nine and change if you drain it enough, but you need to buy 10 qts (or 2 5-gal jugs). As far as cost, even with the RC-Fs higher oil capacity, if you figure 3 dino changes with oil filters every 3K miles vs 2 with Mobil1 every 5K, it'd be a wash.

I always use Mobil1 synthetic in all my vehicles, and change it at 5K miles. I wouldn't go past 3K miles on dino oil. I use it over conventional (dino) for 3 powerful reasons: It breaks down much less (imperative in hot TX AND a high-performance engine), it has a much better additive package, and less wear at start-up. To me even one of those would be enough to justify the difference, but with all 3 is a no-brainer. And the cost difference is basically nothing, as stated above. But to each his own. And no, nothing will happen to your engine if you use regular oil and change it every 3K miles, especially if you don't plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. I'll leave the dino for about 2K miles, so seat the rings quicker now that it's there, but Mobil1 after that.

Finally, the only reason for using dino is COST. Cheap bastages. But yes, most high-perf cars have synthetic from the factory, and there's nothing different on the engine. Just cost savings for the factory. And a cash cow for dealers due to more frequent oil changes (think about it). As for me, they can shove their free services where the light doesn't shine. Ha ha. I'm not going to take my car anywhere unless I absolutely have to. Have a good one folks.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-11-15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 04:30 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to do what the people who make the car said to do, 5k miles on non-synthetic oil. When I changed it at 5k it was gold and looked new.
Old 11-11-15, 05:29 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd say the difference of giving your car dino vs synthetic oil is like treating your wife/GF to a fast-food place vs a nice restaurant. It's a matter of how much you like her. But nothing bad is going to happen with the cheap stuff. That sums it up pretty well. By the way, if you care about your car, I'd analyze the dino oil after a 5K-mile run if I were you. Part of the additive package could be depleted by then. Plus in a hot summer, viscosity could be below acceptable by then as well. If the car is just an appliance to you (or leasing it, meaning the same thing), then never mind. I like treating my vehicles well, and in this case, doesn't cost anything extra, so it's not even an issue for me. But once more, to each his own.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-11-15 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 08:15 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I'd say the difference of giving your car dino vs synthetic oil is like treating your wife/GF to a fast-food place vs a nice restaurant. It's a matter of how much you like her. But nothing bad is going to happen with the cheap stuff. That sums it up pretty well. By the way, if you care about your car, I'd analyze the dino oil after a 5K-mile run if I were you. Part of the additive package could be depleted by then. Plus in a hot summer, viscosity could be below acceptable by then as well. If the car is just an appliance to you (or leasing it, meaning the same thing), then never mind. I like treating my vehicles well, and in this case, doesn't cost anything extra, so it's not even an issue for me. But once more, to each his own.

I asked the shop manager with a 2008 ISF with 100k miles on it that he tracks that he run dino oil and changes every 5k. Also have had family owned from a 1984 supra and 7 other Toyota's with over 250k on each and all 9 have ran w/o any issues dyno oil. Maybe I am lucky.

When is the last time anyone had a oil related problem with a Toyota anyway?

And about that steak dinner, I think I saved up enough for a free car over the years
Old 11-11-15, 11:33 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we go synthetic vs dino oil. Every car I've had ran on dino and went 300K+ miles and 180K on a rotary engine(which is notorious for leaking seals). Not bad in my book.
Look, if spending the extra coin makes you feel better then by all means do it. Synthetic oil is "cutting edge" look better, smells better and has a lot of marketing behind it. What I think is important is whatever you start out with finish with it. Don't go 200k on dino then switch to synthetic. That will REALLY clean those seals and open up gaps that weren't there before in the engine.
Old 11-12-15, 05:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people did oil analysis on the ISF forums and got 12k intervals on synthetic oil with track sessions. 10qt worth of TBN takes a while to go through
Old 11-12-15, 06:00 AM
Narwhal
Driver School Candidate

I don't see any reasons as to why to not use synthetic oil. It will just last longer between oil change but I would follow the user's manual on what oil and when to change it. Actually I would do the recommended oil change half of it.
Old 11-13-15, 02:20 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
Are you sure you get a free oil change at 10,000 miles? My understanding is the first 2 service intervals that are free are at 1,000 miles (no oil change involved) and 5,000 miles (oil change incl). After that, all maintenance is subject to customer's responsibility

you are correct:

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RC-F-WSG.pdf

Complimentary First Scheduled Maintenance Service: 30 Days or 1,000 Miles

Lexus provides your first scheduled
maintenance service at no charge.
The service is performed at 30 days
or 1,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, and includes the items listed
in the chart on the next page. To
obtain this complimentary service,
contact your Lexus dealership.
Complimentary Second
Scheduled Maintenance
Service: Six Months or
5,000 Miles

Lexus also provides your second
scheduled maintenance service at no
charge. The service is performed at
six months or 5,000 miles, whichever
occurs first, and includes the items
listed in the chart on page 48. To

Last edited by mjeds; 11-13-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 02:51 PM
Akiho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjeds
you are correct:

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RC-F-WSG.pdf

Complimentary First

Scheduled Maintenance

Service: 30 Days or

1,000 Miles

Lexus provides your first scheduled

maintenance service at no charge.

The service is performed at 30 days

or 1,000 miles, whichever occurs

first, and includes the items listed

in the chart on the next page. To

Complimentary Second

Scheduled Maintenance

Service: Six Months or

5,000 Miles

Lexus also provides your second

scheduled maintenance service at no

charge. The service is performed at

six months or 5,000 miles, whichever

occurs first, and includes the items

listed in the chart on page 48. To

Yes, you guys are correct but I opted not to do the 1000 mile service and my advisor and sales manager did tell me in person that it's not really needed. Yes, I am getting my 2nd free 10,000 mile oil change for free. Not trying to start a disagreement or argument but every person gets something different from their respective dealerships or advisors. Like some of the guys mentioned, regular oil vs Synthetic. It's your money and if you want to pay more or less, it's your right. I also only use Premium 93 octane gas with Shell. Only. Some people prefer 76, Texaco, Mobil, Costco, or your cheap Arco or non named off brands. It's my Baby, and do whatever pleases me and if you use this or that product in and on your RCF, it's your car, right? Please have a great weekend guys and gals.

Regards,
Akiho

Quick Reply: No synthetic oil for RCF?