RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

do you find the RC-F to be very unassuming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 12:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default do you find the RC-F to be very unassuming?

I am going to preface this by stating that the road I take to work is a back road through a hilly area with no cross traffic and a speed limit of 55mph for a 6 mile stretch. It is 6 lanes wide in most areas (3 each direction) with hills on both sides, no homes, no cross streets.

I have owned muscle cars my whole life. several Camaros, Mustangs, a Chrysler 300c SRT8, etc.

I have found, especially with Mustang owners (usually the older mid to late 2000s ones) that they like to rev and act the fool around other cars they think are fast and they like to burn out and show off.

With the RCF, most people don't seem to know what it is, it looks aggressive but the general consensus by most people seems to be that it isn't fast because it is a Lexus.

This morning I had two such bucket heads in late 2000s mustangs that decided to run up on my *** on my way to work, I watched them in my mirror as they weaved in and out of traffic then got right up on my *** to the point where I could only see the top of the roof line in my mirror.

They both started this rocking back and forth motion behind me and both had a clear path on either side to pass me (we were on a surface street and I was in the middle of 3 lanes) there was no reason for their behavior other than they were being stupid and aggressive.

it's so nice to be able to put the hammer down and leave their silliness in the rear view.

try as they might they couldn't catch me until the next red light. And they tried..

it's also very satisfying to see the look on their face when they pull up to see who kicked their asses and to discover a grey haired old man listening to Dean Martin..
Old 11-10-15, 03:06 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice story.
However, who is Dean Martin?
Old 11-10-15, 03:45 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
Nice story.
However, who is Dean Martin?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Pack

google is your friend.
Old 11-10-15, 03:46 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Indeed, but I was wanting a personal take from you.
Old 11-10-15, 03:58 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Indeed, but I was wanting a personal take from you.
added a video.

a personal take:

Dean Martin is a 1950s actor and night club musician, along with Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr. and Joey Bishop they were known as the Rat Pack.

My mother is Sicilian and I grew up listening to Frank and Dean. While I enjoy a wide range of music, from 1920s swing through more current stuff like GodSmack and Eminem, my morning drive usually finds me listening to the more mellow music of 1950s Italian artists like Dean, Lou Monte, Louis Prima, Luciano Pavarotti and the like, it calms me and prepares me for a day of dealing with dumbasses.
Old 11-10-15, 04:50 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Cool, thanks for that. I listened for the first 20 minutes.

I can appreciate this, and I like Frank as well.

I can never listen to old stuff like this for very long just because of the quality of recordings are not good due to lack of technology from that time.
Old 11-10-15, 06:09 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
I am going to preface this by stating that the road I take to work is a back road through a hilly area with no cross traffic and a speed limit of 55mph for a 6 mile stretch. It is 6 lanes wide in most areas (3 each direction) with hills on both sides, no homes, no cross streets.

it's so nice to be able to put the hammer down and leave their silliness in the rear view.

try as they might they couldn't catch me until the next red light. And they tried..

it's also very satisfying to see the look on their face when they pull up to see who kicked their asses and to discover a grey haired old man listening to Dean Martin..

I like this... Some are Alpha, some just aren't.
Old 11-10-15, 08:08 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
added a video.

a personal take:

Dean Martin is a 1950s actor and night club musician, along with Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr. and Joey Bishop they were known as the Rat Pack.

My mother is Sicilian and I grew up listening to Frank and Dean. While I enjoy a wide range of music, from 1920s swing through more current stuff like GodSmack and Eminem, my morning drive usually finds me listening to the more mellow music of 1950s Italian artists like Dean, Lou Monte, Louis Prima, Luciano Pavarotti and the like, it calms me and prepares me for a day of dealing with dumbasses.
What, No Don Ho & Tiny Bubbles
Old 11-10-15, 08:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP great story.
Old 11-10-15, 11:07 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haaa! I like this story. I get the same thing. I'm 53 and it seems to be the Mustangs and the FRS/BRZ's with me here in L.A. - and yes, I don't know how it is with everybody else - but Sport+ mode, manual...downshift to 3rd or 4th gear and then PUNCH IT!! - they're history LOL!
Old 11-10-15, 11:10 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

Oh I almost forgot - although I "might" occasionally have on "My Way" by another "Rat Packer" to Mr. Martin - I'm usually treating them to a fade away of Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Seal or Ohio Players!
Old 11-11-15, 12:22 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Good job! Teaching them a lesson... A Camarro and a mustang tried to race me with the back and forth motion but I didn't bite since I had a passenger, my gf... I'll only bite if I'm by myself...
Old 11-11-15, 08:03 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Good story OP and very easy to relate to. I find as you, that most Mustang owners are always trying to prove how fast they are.

Also notice the same with most lowered imports, especially Civic drivers with "fart can" mufflers who always want to play.. On the other hand, in my experience most AMG and M drivers don't antagonize too much and usually leave me alone.

Something else that I have noticed for while now, is that most Prius drivers here in the NYC/LI area drive like absolute maniacs.. Weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, speeding etc.
Old 11-11-15, 10:15 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Cool, thanks for that. I listened for the first 20 minutes.

I can appreciate this, and I like Frank as well.

I can never listen to old stuff like this for very long just because of the quality of recordings are not good due to lack of technology from that time.

ah but the snap and crackle of the old vinyl LP records is part of what makes it sound nostalgic.

I have all of my parents LP collection, well over 700 albums from the 1930s thru the 1980s I recently restored my fathers 1964 Sony Turntable so that I could listen to them in their original form.

While I have a up to date 7.1 surround sound system in my family and have it piped to multiple zones throughout the house and back yard, stream music via Pandora and have a media server that contains all my CDs ripped into lossless format for daily listening, there are times when I want to reminisce and sit back and listen to music of a simpler time.

usually happens around this time of the year, especially when my older relatives start coming over for the holidays. Being from an Sicilian/Italian family we have "those" family gatherings, and my wife is from a very traditional Mexican family with very similar gatherings and beliefs.
Old 11-12-15, 12:07 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

mjeds...that's cool. I remember listening to LP's spinning from the garage in my Uncle's house in South Central (RCA Victor) console system. He also piped it throughout his house, which actually was unheard of - back in the day.

Quick Reply: do you find the RC-F to be very unassuming?