RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RRRacing / Penske Coilover System for the RCF

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 03:08 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well that's good to know. This was a pretty big deal with the mustang community as well as BMW, specifically the E46 M3 like you mentioned. Glad to see a functional RCF on here!
Old 11-09-15, 03:10 PM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to see someone selling a suspension package that actually focuses on handling and not just for looks. Great work!
Old 11-09-15, 03:10 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
Alignment shop was closed during the weekend. Likewise, too busy today.....
The car is going in at 10 am tomorrow est. Ill post up pre / post spec sheets for all.

As to what Rafi mentioned, I dont believe that extra camber is needed. Really, as she sits, this car is a monster. At high speeds, the turn-in is so crisp and the car is so planted. I have taken highway exits
(U shaped) at 70-80 mph. This heavy beast feels like a go-kart now. Just point and she goes.

Rafi is an experienced driver and with the beat up backroads of PA, the suspension still performed like stock. You do feel more in the road, yet its the feeling we all crave. For anyone that resides in the DC / MD / VA Im happy to take you for a ride. Just shoot me a pm

Thanks Josh. One of the reasons this suspension feels so complaint on the rough back roads (other than the awesome Penske 7500 series double adjustable shocks) is that we maintain enough bump travel and keep it from hitting the bumps stops. Keeping the suspension off the bump stops also reduces stress on the chassis mounting points and ensures predictable handling.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 11-10-15, 07:57 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Specs before and after

Camber might be too aggressive for the street. Currently looking into camber arms in the rear. I'm looking to get 15k out of a set of tires. 10k w mild track use. Probably buying new wheels in the spring. So it's ok. Open to suggestions

Front before

Rear before

Front after

Rear after
Old 11-11-15, 06:35 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

We have SPC adjustable camber arms in stock! For a nice aggressive street/track setup back it off to about 2 deg negative in the back.

SPC adjustable camber arms -- In stock at RR-Racing.com

Last edited by RRRacing; 11-11-15 at 10:57 AM. Reason: better pic added
Old 11-15-15, 06:57 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

The question has been brought up regarding the extra load on the rear shock perches due to our rear "True Coilover Conversion," as previously with the divorced spring setup, the springs were supported by the subframe.

We analyzed the shock towers on the ISF vs RCF to see if the RCF was as strong as the ISF (the ISF comes with true rear coilovers from the factory).

The conclusion is that there is absolutely no need for additional reinforcement of the rear shock towers on the RCF. The RCF setup actually looks more robust than on the ISF, as the reinforcement brace extends upwards and connects not only to the lateral wall, but also to an upper cross member. Further, Lexus used some sort of very hard (feels as hard as a weld) bonding agent in addition to spot welds to attach the support brace.

Lexus designed the shock towers on the RCF to withstand the load of the suspension bottoming out, as the bump stops on the RCF are still located on the shocks.

I have also included a pic of a BMW shock tower below... as you can see there is no reinforcement at all, which is why they have numerous cracking issues and lawsuits against them!

RCF vs. ISF rear shock tower comparison

BMW E46 rear shock tower (for comparison)

Old 11-15-15, 12:21 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Congrats on the new RC F Josh

Up Next: Performance Mods

Joe Z
Old 11-15-15, 01:57 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

NJMP Track Testing our new RCF coilovers

Ok guys, so we completed our track testing phase and now we are ready for full release of our RCF coilovers with "true rear coilover" conversion.

Here is what we learned at the track:

(1) JB5674 (aka Josh) -- thank you for letting me flog your $70k+ car at 140+mph
(2) TWO RCF's on RRR/Penske's are better than 1 RCF
(3) With the stock staggered tire setup (275mm rear, 255mm front) we still have some at the limit understeer. This is not something that is an issue on the street, as the limit is very high and you are not likely to induce understeer except on the track. That said, we recommend going "square" tire setup, either 275 front and rear, or 295 front and rear.
(4) We are going to make a few tweaks to the bump stops for all our production orders based on the street and track feedback that will allow us to get to the best compromise of absolute track performance and road comfort.

The following users liked this post:
Mingofish (04-27-17)
Old 11-16-15, 01:49 AM
JB5674
Advanced

All, without a doubt if you have any question about this setup.....the track day really proved its worth. Rafi aka " the steig " took me for one heck of a ride. Flying down a straight at 140mph to a hard elevation change and to further throw the car into a series of twisties....to then mash on the gas and have the car accelerate through a long swooping turn at 120+ was amazing. I can tell you, the performance of the suspension was quite breathtaking ( for maybe it was the driving lol ) In all seriousness, this isn't a " just for looks " suspension. This is the real deal folks. The car was at its limits and held. Moreover, cornering is crisp and direct. The weight transfer is greatly reduced and the car didn't feel like the *** end was going to give out. Mind you, with a powerful car you have to gradually introduce power or you'll fight the car.
The naysayers about the tvd vs non tvd can can kick rocks. I can't not have a sunroof, therefore I was not one for the performance package. Trust me, grip is there with this setup. I don't believe myself, Rafi or Jamie ( Jamie has tvd ) had any issues with the suspension or lack of grip or accelerating out of corners. Those that are seeking performance, this setup is for you. While the car sits low and I love the look, seeing an rcf on a track holds its own with gt3 Porsches should tell you how it performs. This is a GT car. It's not a racer. But, this setup is purpose built for a street / track and most importantly it has function

I'm been around a lot of car folks and Rafi and his team are truly at the top of their game. This track day opened my mind and humbled me. While I believe I'm a driver, I have a lot to learn. When it comes to parts, more specifically this Penske/ RRRacing system, it doesn't matter if you're a novice or an expert on the track....this setup doesn't disappoint. It's now 100% proven in my eyes. It's one thing to achieve a look, it's completely different when the performance is achieved as well.

The shocks are independently dyno tested
Dampening AND rebound adjustable
Height adjustment
The coils were road tested *
* on the harsh PA backroads ridden w potholes and ruts
Now we are track tested and proven

I'm confident that this system will be groundbreaking for the rcf community.

In closing, I'm in no way affiliated with RRRacing. I approached Rafi and we began working together to test out this suspension setup. As most know, the setup wasn't planned to be a true coil setup. Yet, after extensive measurement and evaluation.....the true coil setup was a very suitable option the car. I'm just a normal guy who wanted more from his car. This is my review. I've never left anything stock. RRRacing has overshot any and all of my expectations. Being dubbed track proven is one thing, actually living it and doing it is another.

For those that have questions, please feel free to drop me a pm. I welcome conversation and if you're local to the dc metro area, im happy to meet for a ride.

I'm going to try and keep this thread live, as I plan on doing a long term update too
Old 11-16-15, 10:06 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing

RCF vs. ISF rear shock tower comparison

BMW E46 rear shock tower (for comparison)

Thanks for the side by side comparison! I can see why the RCF doesn't need the additional support that a car like the E46 would need. Looking forward to seeing more people run this setup!
Old 11-17-15, 06:56 PM
JB5674
Advanced

RRRacing's work in action!!
Old 11-21-15, 09:04 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Hi All, not sure if you guys know this, but we are also in development of a full electronic rebound adjustment option.

This means you can:

(1) Select pre-programmed modes for on-the-fly changes to all your shocks (i.e. settings for sport driving, comfort, or race).

(2) Speed sensitive automatic adjustment... so when you are at low speed you can specify softer damping mode, as you increase speed (based on GPS measurement) shocks will automatically stiffen for better control.

(3) G-force adjustment -- you can specify automatic adjustment based on how hard you corner.

Like I said, we are in development. If you think you may be interested, please PM me. The more interest we get, the more we will speed this up.

thanks!

-Rafi

Old 11-21-15, 09:33 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds very interesting...
Old 11-30-15, 08:35 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Update, seems like this thread is catching on. It's barely been a month and things are still rock solid. No issues to report, expect the addition of the RR Racing Air to Oil separator. Just some track prep for next year. I can say Ive have some fun on the road and on some back-roads. Even on the nasty city streets of DC the car still rides close to stock. Again, the NVH comes into play but its ok by me. I tend to cruise more in the normal ( due to eco and fuel economy ) and drive on nice days purely in S+. In either mode, its still a pleasure.
In the past week, it doesnt matter where I am.....people stop me and complement me about how beautiful the car is. Its low, and people ask if it came that way and they get the short version of the story in the thread.
This suspension really is a dream regardless how hard you drive or not.
Old 12-01-15, 04:59 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Update:

I've been getting a lot of questions asking why our setup is so much better than KW, RSR, Ohlins, etc... so I am putting together a complete technical paper on the subject.

I also want to emphasize an important point based on questions we have gotten:

Some people thing that because we use "Penske Racing Shocks" that the suspension is loud, noisy, harsh, and mainly for racing. Although this could not be further from the truth, I am sure some of our competitors, even thought they understand the superiority of the Penske shocks, want to stress this point. That said, it could not be further from the truth. Even though we do not use sloppy rubber bushings, we have taken a number of steps to successfully reduce NVH... this includes using large oversize Teflon mounted spherical bearing, Delrin washers on all metal/metal contact surfaces, and polymer spring couplers. The suspension is totally comfortable with very low NVH levels.

-Rafi

Quick Reply: RRRacing / Penske Coilover System for the RCF