RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Crystal Ball Prediction !

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 04:06 PM
CalboyF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crystal Ball Prediction !

I have an assumption. I am just gonna throw it out here so everyone can share his or her opinion

I think the 2017 RCF will be lighter, even better handling and by the end of the product cycle, will be as fast as the M4.

I suspect Lexus purposely makes the current RCF heavier than its competitors so it can set up a light weight version down the road? Or not?

What do you all think? You think Lexus is now setting up/taking a "progressive transformation" approach to its F line unlike its European counterparts that are just throwing out the same engine and only does cosmetic changes till end of the product cycle?

Love to hear from you guys out there !
Old 11-02-15, 06:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Is this a joke?

You can't just snap your fingers and make the car lighter or much faster.
They can barely sell the current RCFs - why in the world would they invest any more $$$ into the existing model?

Best plan is to do it right on the next Gen RCF - if there is one even.

I do expect some changes for mid-cycle upgrade but nothing too big.
Old 11-03-15, 12:31 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CalboyF
I have an assumption. I am just gonna throw it out here so everyone can share his or her opinion

I think the 2017 RCF will be lighter, even better handling and by the end of the product cycle, will be as fast as the M4.

I suspect Lexus purposely makes the current RCF heavier than its competitors so it can set up a light weight version down the road? Or not?

What do you all think? You think Lexus is now setting up/taking a "progressive transformation" approach to its F line unlike its European counterparts that are just throwing out the same engine and only does cosmetic changes till end of the product cycle?

Love to hear from you guys out there !
IMO I highly doubt Lexus planned all along to purposely make the RCF heavier than it's competition, just so it could re-introduce a lightweight version years later.. It makes no sense, what would they gain by doing this..

Maybe I'm missing the point you're trying to make.
Old 11-03-15, 12:50 PM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason the RC F is so heavy to begin with is because it was easier/cheaper to take existing stuff and adapt it, rather than developing a lightweight chassis from the start. Making a lighter version down the road would mean either doing a stripped out version or a whole new chassis.....neither of which is likely to happen.

What bothers me is that doing this affects sales, which means the next time they won't be willing to spend the money on developing a new car, and the cycle repeats itself. We know they can do better....they just choose not to.
Old 11-04-15, 11:46 AM
Narwhal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Is this a joke?

You can't just snap your fingers and make the car lighter or much faster.
Well actually, why couoldn't couldn't they reintroduce a new generation in a year, 2, or 3+ years with more carbon fibre parts and all. BMW did it so why couldn't Lexus do it?
Old 11-04-15, 12:15 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Toyota/Lexus adheres to the Kaizen philsophy of the continuous improvement. I believe this is what drove the IS-F to be improved thru the years equaling if not bettering the E90 M3 in the end. So, I would not discount the possibility that by the end of its life cycle, it would be as fast or faster as the current M4 on the track or the drag strip.