RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Why the RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 03:33 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the RCF?

Why not a new Corvette Stingray? It's slightly cheaper, noticeably quicker (3.7 to 60) and has terrific reviews from all the credible auto/sports car authorities. I'm asking cause I test drove both, and I honestly can't say the RC-F is clearly the "better" sports car.
Old 10-24-15, 03:36 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because I'll be enjoying driving my RC F instead of sitting in the Chevy dealer's customer waiting area while they work on a Vette.
Old 10-24-15, 03:56 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I love the Stingray and the beautiful body styling, it just wasn't practical "for me" for the following reasons:

1) It's not a good daily driver, period. It sits too low and too flat to be comfortable for extended driving.
2) It's a Chevy, which in short means it won't have the reliability or re-sale value later down the road.
3) It's not luxurious inside like the RCF, its like comparing apples to oranges.
4) It has little to know room for cargo let alone passengers.
5) It's more expensive than an RCF (at least the Z51 3LT version is)
6) The 3LT isn't the fastest/top of the line Corvette in their lineup, the Z06 is, and I wouldn't want to have a Corvette unless I could have the top of the line one.
Old 10-24-15, 04:05 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll wait & see what some of the guys say before i respond to this But a Vette, C'mon Man. I probably see 30-40 of them a Day, Why would i want to look at one in my Garage. Matter of Fact, my Aunt AND my Uncle BOTH drive Vettes & they're in their 70's ( & my Uncle still wears his Gold chain) A Vette, C'mon Man HOW did you even come up with this Comparison? Just because you drove Both.
Old 10-24-15, 04:30 PM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at the Vette also. I test drove it and it was awesome fast, but the inside material was far and away much cheaper looking and feeling than the RC F, workmanship was definitely inferior, warranty was 1 year less, dealerships near me don't even come close to the Lexus experience. My loaded RC F was 10,000 less than a comparably equipped Vette. The Chevy dealers I saw would not work with me on my trade-in and would not budge from list. I got a much better deal at Lexus and they gave me what I wanted for my trade. I know it is a love it or hate it thing, but I do love the look of the RC F more and more each day. I love the Mark Levinson system and the Vette Bose doesn't even come close in my opinion. Based on my past Lexus ownership experience, I feel confident that my car will be trouble free and Lexus provides me with loaner cars for virtually all maintenance trips, which the Chevy dealers don't offer. I have owned a Vette in the past, and it was a great car to drive, but it had issues from day one, the worst being the factory installed a vent flap for the air conditioning incorrectly in the build, and the dealership had to remove the entire dash to fix my brand new car. I think the new Vettes are the best yet, but I'll stick with Lexus. For me, this car is a true joy to drive each time I climb in and I don't regret getting it.
Old 10-24-15, 06:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont have the 50+ years old and gray hair requirements to own a vette
Old 10-24-15, 06:53 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
dont have the 50+ years old and gray hair requirements to own a vette
Lol, hence WHY i said my Aunt & Uncle BOTH own Vettes & he Still wears his Gold Chain
Old 10-24-15, 07:13 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by Trek
Why not a new Corvette Stingray? It's slightly cheaper, noticeably quicker (3.7 to 60) and has terrific reviews from all the credible auto/sports car authorities. I'm asking cause I test drove both, and I honestly can't say the RC-F is clearly the "better" sports car.
But, in all Honesty Trek if you go on the Corvette Forum they would be asking the same question, WHY are you comparing the Vette to the Lexus RCF? I'm sure they would be trashing the RCF, but like somebody else on here said IF you want a Vette Why would you want to get the Bottom of the line one instead of the Big Boy Vette? Is it just to say you Own a Corvette (if so, i don't see the Pride in that). THOSE Days are Long GONE
Old 10-24-15, 07:56 PM
Zerafian
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

been considering a RCF in 2017 ever since I heard about their release in 2014. The vette never even came to mind as an alternative. The next gen Q60 if turbo'd, used GTR, porsche variation, M4 or possibly audi were on the list before any american made car.
Old 10-24-15, 09:10 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

9/10 times it's an old guy driving a Vette ...new or old. So if you're over 60 I would definitely go for it, otherwise stick with a RC F. She'll want you more for it
Old 10-24-15, 09:31 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Because I don't have old saggy *****...
Old 10-24-15, 10:12 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
Because I don't have old saggy *****...
Trek, are you Still there? I think you guys Drove him off
Old 10-25-15, 12:57 AM
aalaref
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

why ?
for me , I was looking for Coupe with 4 seats , and wont break the bank !
so Lexus RCF was the best one for me .
I love the new Stengray but I have kids
Old 10-25-15, 04:17 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aalaref
why ?
for me , I was looking for Coupe with 4 seats , and wont break the bank !
so Lexus RCF was the best one for me .
I love the new Stengray but I have kids
LOL. The "occasional" seats in the back of my RC-F aren't even good for getting a good angle at cleaning the rear window let alone putting anyone but a child back there.

I've owned them both, I'm old with saggy balz, and, if you are looking for a day-to-day thrill year after year, you'll go with the top-of-the-heap Vette. The RC-F driving experience, for me, seems to have dimed over the months.

Y M W(ill) V
Old 10-25-15, 06:35 AM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I to have had both and depending on your size would be the first thing I would consider. I am 6'1" 240 and the vette is just not comfortable to me at all. Very hard to get in and out of however, once in the car it is fairly comfortable but very small cabin and leg room is minimal. Next would be the quality and it is typical GM quality and mine was the 3lz loaded so you would think the interior would have been great. However, when we left the dealer my 8 year old was complaining about all the rattles 5 miles down the road we actually stopped to take roof off and grease moldings so the roof would quit rattling. On the flip the Lexus is better quality and much more roomy and easy to get out of and like already mention the back seat was great for my son. However, it is like driving any other Lexus it is comfortable, quality is good, but not fast at all or was not it me and the fake exhaust sound was terrible that opened once your were getting on it pretty hard. You really would need to drive both and make your own decision but if you are down to the RCF vs Vette you need to figure out what you want out of the car. If you have a child like most of us the backseat may make your decision. If that is no problem the vette is more fun to run around in especially if you are just using it around town and weekends. The z06 would be the only one I would want but it is 20k+ higher than the RCF. The normal 3lt Z51 is not a bad car but to me did not seem much faster but the Z06 is fast and will put a smile on your face. Just drive both I read both forums before like you before buying either car and wound up with Vette first and then the RCF next. At this point I put around 2k miles on both cars and do not own either and never would buy either again. So maybe you should broaden your search and add a few more cars.

Last edited by jalnsx; 10-25-15 at 06:49 AM. Reason: add info

Quick Reply: Why the RCF?