RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

3 Blank Accessory Panel/Buttons On Lower Dash, What Options Are Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 02:32 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3 Blank Accessory Panel/Buttons On Lower Dash, What Options Are Missing?

Curious as to what everyone does or doesn't have in their dash since I've got 3 blank spots, and 3 spots being filled. What are the 3 blanks for?

Does anyone have all 6 spots filled and if so, what are they (post up some pics):

Last edited by toystry; 01-08-16 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 02:41 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Looks like this dash has an AUTO lights button and a headlight de-icer button, but there is still one empty blank unspoken for.
Old 10-18-15, 07:31 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe it was an ASC button that was in pre-production models.

In the IS, it is a power rear sunshade. Everything else is the same

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...def087x750.jpg

On the center console, there is one too. It is the top row, far right. It is blank on the IS as well.
Old 10-18-15, 07:43 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine has every option, and looks just like yours. At least every option available in the southwest. Guess in the north, you can have the automatic deicer, along with the heater steering wheel button next to the driver's heat/cool seat controls. The automatic high-beam headlights is not an option in the US. And neither the lane departure warning, which I believe is the last button missing in the above car, since the option is mentioned in the manual (but nonexistent in the US).

On a semi-related subject, my car has the parking sensors. But the front ones are useless in my car... if they work (the rear does). Yesterday parked about 1/2 a foot from a wall, and the damn thing stayed silent. I wouldn't want to get any closer. Just curious if others are the same. By the way, there's no range adjustment for the front sensors, like there is for the rear, before somebody asks. Thanks.
Old 10-19-15, 04:33 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

The front sensors are only at the corners and do not have the reach to protect the grille area.
Old 10-19-15, 05:48 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Mine has every option, and looks just like yours. At least every option available in the southwest. Guess in the north, you can have the automatic deicer, along with the heater steering wheel button next to the driver's heat/cool seat controls. The automatic high-beam headlights is not an option in the US. And neither the lane departure warning, which I believe is the last button missing in the above car, since the option is mentioned in the manual (but nonexistent in the US).

On a semi-related subject, my car has the parking sensors. But the front ones are useless in my car... if they work (the rear does). Yesterday parked about 1/2 a foot from a wall, and the damn thing stayed silent. I wouldn't want to get any closer. Just curious if others are the same. By the way, there's no range adjustment for the front sensors, like there is for the rear, before somebody asks. Thanks.
Good gouge, thanks for sharing. It bothers me to have blanks on a fully loaded vehicle, don't know why, it just does.

As for the parking sensors. My fronts work EXCELLENT permitting you're within a foot of something to the left or right of the vehicle (not dead center though). Anything before a foot and I don't hear a peep from it. Rear works equally as well.
Old 10-19-15, 11:42 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
The front sensors are only at the corners and do not have the reach to protect the grille area.
According to the owner's manual, they should give you warning straight up at about 1.5', as shown in the coverage areas there.

Originally Posted by toystry
It bothers me to have blanks on a fully loaded vehicle, don't know why, it just does.
Me too. Guess we're equally OCD about that. Ha ha.
Hey, so your front sensors alert you of a wall in front at about 1'? Did you measure it? Need to try again if yours alerts you, but man, at that distance, the car should be beeping at a somewhat rapid pace already. The side coverage in front is absolutely useless to me; if you're going to hit something while parking, it'd be a wall or a car in front, not something on the sides. I'm fine with just those 2 sensors only, but Lexus should have made them more sensitive (to detect objects farther away), or just give us an adjustment option, like on center sensors. Oh well. Thought this was my first car with front sensors, but are just for show. And yes, the rear ones (aided by the camera) work perfectly indeed.
Old 10-22-15, 01:06 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I believe the missing stuff is the

fog lights (RC350 F-Sport)
the wiper defrosters
Adaptive cruise control / accident mitigation system.

not 100% but I believe that is what those blanks are for.

now I haven't been under the dash yet, but if those buttons are movable I will be re-organizing them, I do not like to seen staggered blanks like that and I personally HATE where the trunk release is located.

so I will be re-arranging those buttons if it is possible, if it isn't possible then well I guess I'm SOL.

Last edited by mjeds; 10-22-15 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 03:59 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by mjeds
Adaptive cruise control / accident mitigation system.
I have it, and there's no button (FYI). You have to push and hold the cruise lever forward to switch between regular and radar cruise. Hope this helps.

Hey, let me know if you could rearrange those buttons. Guess you're **** too after all. Ha ha. I have 3 buttons scattered all over. I'd put all 3 on that block on top. And the trunk (not 'truck') at the bottom left, for easy spotting. I'm almost sure we can rearrange the panel ones. But the trunk one will depend where the wiring comes from, since it's farther away. Good luck, and let us know.
Old 10-22-15, 04:08 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I have it, and there's no button (FYI). You have to push and hold the cruise lever forward to switch between regular and radar cruise. Hope this helps.

Hey, let me know if you could rearrange those buttons. Guess you're **** too after all. Ha ha. I have 3 buttons scattered all over. I'd put all 3 on that block on top. And the trunk (not 'truck') at the bottom left, for easy spotting. I'm almost sure we can rearrange the panel ones. But the trunk one will depend where the wiring comes from, since it's farther away. Good luck, and let us know.

yes I have a bit of OCD.

I will take a look at it this weekend and see. I suspect the trunk release is a going to be a stretch.

personally I am not above lengthening the wires, however since I happen to know a guy that works for waytekwire who has made me factory plug and play adaptors in the past, I will likely go that route, keep it clean with no cuts or soldering.
Old 10-23-15, 11:58 AM
JCtx
Racer

I suspect the trunk release is a going to be a stretch.
It depends. It's very likely the wiring is coming from the left of the dash, therefore passing right by the panel before continuing to its current location. That'd pose no problem. If it's coming from the right, or by the steering column, then yes. I wouldn't touch it if it's not easy to do. Not a huge deal. Maybe I'll beat you to it and look at it today. You challenged me. Ha ha.
Old 10-23-15, 12:32 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will take a look at it this weekend and see. I suspect the trunk release is a going to be a stretch.
I hate the location of the trunk release as well. I have short arms
and I fasten my seat belt tight.

I am also thinking about putting the Apexi switch and indicator one of my spare slots. BUT I have never taken this area apart and wondered if you guys could tell me the process.

Where do you pry to get access? and do you need a tool? Then I assume you have to remove screws to get behind these switch blanks to get them out. I put some ref arrows on the image attached (1,2,3). Or maybe some other pry location.

Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails 3 Blank Accessory Panel/Buttons On Lower Dash, What Options Are Missing?-dsc_3448.jpg  
Old 10-23-15, 12:43 PM
JCtx
Racer

I was hoping to be able to pop the switches out, disconnect them, and rearrange them all from behind, without removing anything. If I can't do that, then would think twice about the project. Need to find out if we can buy a service manual for this car, but most manufacturers don't offer them anymore. Only paid access to a site, but it's very expensive for just one time by a customer, for what I remember reading. Let me look at it right now and comment. I have special plastic pry tools, but don't like messing around without knowing in advance what I'm dealing with (where the tabs are, what kind, etc).
Old 10-23-15, 01:13 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjmalm
I hate the location of the trunk release as well. I have short arms
and I fasten my seat belt tight.

I am also thinking about putting the Apexi switch and indicator one of my spare slots. BUT I have never taken this area apart and wondered if you guys could tell me the process.

Where do you pry to get access? and do you need a tool? Then I assume you have to remove screws to get behind these switch blanks to get them out. I put some ref arrows on the image attached (1,2,3). Or maybe some other pry location.

Pic attached.

that panel pops out, it is just held with push clips, however you have to first remove the thin panel in the door jam adjacent to it, as I believe the dash side panel clips under it for the seamless look.

the panels under the dash also pop out, however they do have a Phillips screw on the left and right side, if you get down to that level they are plainly visible.

yes I have had them out already wiring up my dash cam.

be VERY careful, use plastic pry tools and move slowly, otherwise you can snap the pop clips and then they won't go back into place.
Old 10-23-15, 01:24 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that panel pops out, it is just held with push clips, however you have to first remove the thin panel in the door jam adjacent to it, as I believe the dash side panel clips under it for the seamless look.
the panels under the dash also pop out, however they do have a Phillips screw on the left and right side, if you get down to that level they are plainly visible.
Just checking. looks like there are 2 panels (A and B) before the sw panel C
So I assume start with A, Then B, then C.

Just dont want to screw up any clips prying on the wrong panel... thanks for looking and for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails 3 Blank Accessory Panel/Buttons On Lower Dash, What Options Are Missing?-dsc_3448-a-b-c.jpg  

Quick Reply: 3 Blank Accessory Panel/Buttons On Lower Dash, What Options Are Missing?