RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 09:14 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW!! That's a snug fit LOL. It looks great though. I used to live in Denver, Colorado where we would have at least one massive blizzard every year. I ran some Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on my car and it was a complete night and day difference. If you can find fitment for some Blizzaks, I'd highly suggest them. Good luck and post up some photos once you get the tires mounted!!
Old 09-17-15, 10:34 AM
Eis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
I bought the Michelin sport AS, but still didn't want to drive it in the snow. So I went out a bought another set of snow tires for $12,000 and they came with an old SUV attached.

This is a little off topic. Does your Land Rover give you more problems than the cost of the vehicle? I know there is a lot of stigma. I am thinking of getting a LR for a winter vehicle because of their resale value, but I don't want to pay $6,000 annually to keep it running.
Old 09-19-15, 06:39 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BPauto
WOW!! That's a snug fit LOL. It looks great though. I used to live in Denver, Colorado where we would have at least one massive blizzard every year. I ran some Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on my car and it was a complete night and day difference. If you can find fitment for some Blizzaks, I'd highly suggest them. Good luck and post up some photos once you get the tires mounted!!
Depends on the Blizzak model, but thanks for the insight. The LM25 & LM32 were possibly the worst winter tire's i have ever run.

The WS80 on the GF's GLK are deadly

I'm looking forward to giving the Hakkapaliitta 8 studded a go; they have unreal reviews.

Old 09-21-15, 06:00 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
Depends on the Blizzak model, but thanks for the insight. The LM25 & LM32 were possibly the worst winter tire's i have ever run.

The WS80 on the GF's GLK are deadly

I'm looking forward to giving the Hakkapaliitta 8 studded a go; they have unreal reviews.

Ohh, those looks amazing. Yes, I should have specified the type of Blizzak. Sorry about that. Give us a review once you try out those Hakkapaliitta's! Winter is just around the corner so I'm eager to hear how they work out for you! Good luck!
Old 09-22-15, 04:40 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Volks for a winter set up...... Brother, I LIKE YOUR STYLE !!! Most baller winter set up I've seen.....and I've seen a lot!
Old 10-17-15, 02:45 PM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

Default Winter Setup

What are you guys running?

What brand/type wheels, staggered? ( Nothing shows up on tirerack when searching under RC-F) what size tires are you running. I would like to keep it square setup, but don't want to Sacrifice too much handling. ( I live in dc so are winters aren't that bad, so I don't really need that hardcore of a setup)

Would you recommend 245/265?

Thanks
Old 10-17-15, 09:21 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Michelin AS in oem sizes.
Old 10-19-15, 11:11 AM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

thinking about going 265/35/19 square set up, thoughts?
Old 10-19-15, 06:08 PM
TigerAC3
Driver School Candidate

I'm going with 245/40/19. A smaller width can provide better traction in the snow.
Old 10-19-15, 07:21 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Realistically will different tires make any real difference on a RWD car? I remember my old Mercedes sucked in the snow, regardless what tires it had. I don't typically live in snowy areas which is why I'm asking.
Old 10-19-15, 07:23 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toystry
Realistically will different tires make any real difference on a RWD car? I remember my old Mercedes sucked in the snow, regardless what tires it had. I don't typically live in snowy areas which is why I'm asking.
Dedicated winter tires make a WORLD of difference.

All seasons are ****, summers are **** and performance winters are **** in deep snow or on ice. A true winter tire is the only way to go.
Old 10-19-15, 07:37 PM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

PSS in the winter are a death wish. Not worth the risk at all. The car wont be amazing in the snow, but with winter tires on you wont be sliding all over the road.
Old 10-19-15, 07:43 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AKA5
PSS in the winter are a death wish. Not worth the risk at all. The car wont be amazing in the snow, but with winter tires on you wont be sliding all over the road.
We only get snow a couple times (2-3" on average). Hate to buy tires for that few snow days so I'm probably just gonna have to break out my topless jeep and freeze on those days I guess.
Old 10-20-15, 05:22 AM
TigerAC3
Driver School Candidate

Already this year have had temps in the 30s. PSS in those temps are already scary, even on dry pavement.
Old 10-20-15, 06:58 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

I am going to be running a 255 19" square setup of Blizzaks, same tires I had purchased last year for the TT RS. As stated above, PPS on this car, even in the cold can be very difficult to handle, with loss of traction happening very quickly until the tires get some heat in them.

I am guessing the RC F will be very similar in nature to the ISF. With proper snow tires, the ISF was just fine for snow driving. I have 90 miles a day worth of driving, and in the three winters I had in the ISF, it never let me down. Smart driving and snow tires work wonders.

That being said, it can also come down to the car's setup and how it puts power to the ground. Last fall I got caught out in some snow with the TT RS which was still wearing the PSS. I made it home in 2" of snow, for 45 miles with little to no issue. I definitely don't recommend doing so with the RC F.

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)