RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

things you think or wish the RC-F had

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 05:25 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default things you think or wish the RC-F had

ok I've had the car for 4 days, and I am not being negative, but there are a couple little things that bug me.

first, most of the cars I test drove prior to deciding on the RC-F had an electric parking brake, even the rental Chevy Volt I had for several weeks had one. @ $75,000 why doesn't the RC-F?

lighting? I don't get this.. really. the door handles have LEDs, the headlights are LED, the DRLs are LED, the turn signals are LED, the brake and tails lights are LED, the ambient lighting is LED

why then are the interior lights old style filament bulbs?

Lexus Enform, completely worthless, in several of the other vehicles I looked at they had a Pandora app that worked from your phone and put all the Pandora info on the screen, why does Lexus require you to sign up for their service to make this work and then in fact it doesn't work, the only way for me to get Pandora thought the sound system is to use the Pandora app on my phone in the ipod mode/source from the head unit, but then I don't always get the data sometime it just says unknown title, unknown artist. Additionally I can't skip tracks.

lastly the glove box.. it isn't big enough to put the owners manuals in.. I have always kept the manuals with the car, and while I love the little shelf in the glove box for my pens, misc multi-tools and general emergency stuffs, the owners manual leather pouch with the warranty, nav, quick guide and full manual do not fit in the box, they are too thick to put on the little shelf. I've resorted to having only the manual in there and the rest of the literature is under the trunk floor in the empty spare tire space.

These are little annoyances, I know and I am not ripping the car I love it, but @ $75,000 I would have thought Lexus of all companies would have paid a bit more attention to the small details.
Old 10-13-15, 05:56 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

First of all, the rear turn-signals are freaking bulbs too buddy. I replaced them with Triton V3s, but it was a royal PITA, and could only do it because I swapped the single control/resistor boxes on another car for the 2-piece units now supplied by V-LEDs. Also changed all other 7 LEDs inside the car (including the trunk) you mentioned. You can search for specific instructions how to change those 7 bulbs somewhere. My car is now finally a full-LED car, and rear turn-signals look clear, the way I like them .

The owner's manual does fit in there, but you have to push it with the 'flap' that you open to get the manuals out against the car, and the lid closes perfectly fine. And I have all manuals (including nav) except the lemon law one, since I don't need that in the car. But yes, it should be deeper indeed. I use the lower 'shelf' for the documentation, as it's useless for anything else. At least there's some space to the left. However, if you don't want the partition, you can remove it.

I also HATED a freaking foot parking brake; those belong on a minivan. I prefer a hand one over an electric one. But definitely an electric over that stupid pedal. Oh well. And it's misadjusted, as it goes all the way down and barely hold the car in a slight incline. An electric parking brake would have looked much more in line with the rest of the car indeed.

And there're many other nagging things this car should have for that price:
- A mechanical arm (like on GTRs) that extends the seatbelt. That strap on the seat is useless; it makes the belt very hard to extend, and I bet the material would be worn in no time if used as intended (I don't use them). Some BMWs have motorized arms, but I much prefer a mechanical one for reliability reasons.
- Seat doesn't slide back along with the auto-tilt function
- features on lesser RCs are not present even on fully-optioned RC-Fs, like lane departure, adjustable suspension, etc.
- Front looks awful lifted like a truck, when the rear is nice and low. Fender gaps should be the same, or at least close.

That's about it for me. They're nit-picks, but it's nice to mention them for Lexus to improve upon an already excellent car.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-13-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 06:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

interior LEDs issue is easily and inexpensively fixed

electronic parking brakes are the answer to the question no one asked
Old 10-13-15, 06:32 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

the ONLY thing i've EVER asked for, is to be able to get a TUNE That's ALL i Want
Old 10-13-15, 07:27 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
the ONLY thing i've EVER asked for, is to be able to get a TUNE That's ALL i Want
If only........can't believe with all the smart hackers in the world that nobody's managed to crack the ECU? WTF!!!
Old 10-13-15, 07:41 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and if we are ranting, here are my rants.

Interior LED's:

I couldn't agree more. That's why I swapped all mine out (I did a How-To post as well, look for it if you want to know what to order, how to install)

Seat Belt:

PITA to put on every time I get into the car.

INFOTAINMENT System:

SUCKS!!!!!! Very outdated looking and the faux LARGE navigation screen that's only actually 3/4th viewable is disappointing as well.

Tuneable/Adjustable Exhaust Sound:

The GT350 Mustang has it, I think the RCF should as well at the price point.

Lower Profile Springs:

Too much fender gap.

Fancier Interior Compared to RC350:

It's wayyyyy to similar to the RC350. Dash is identical, seats/doors are about the only difference.

Better Wheels:

I got stuck with the cheaper version of the 19" forged wheels. The ones offered with the upgraded Carbon Fiber kit should have been the standard. Now I have to find someone who wants to buy the stock wheels so I can buy new wheels. For $70,000'ish, I'd have liked some stock wheels that I didn't have to swap out because they are bland looking.

Less Bolstering on seat bottoms:

I'm 5'11, 225lbs and those bolsters on the butt part are too snug IMO. Back is fine, butt part of the seat is too snug on the thighs though.

Light under the hood:

Do cars not come with lights under the hood anymore, WTF?

More HP/TORQUE:

Mustang GT 5.0 is too close in power (it has less HP but more Torque). For $70,00'ish I'd like to have 500hp with at least 400ft lb torque.

More agressive rear bumper:

It lacks a WOW factor. It's much nicer than the RC350 faux vents, but it's not a big enough difference IMO.

Small stuff, but it's things I would change if I could. I'll have to see what, if anything, comes out from the limited aftermarket community.
Old 10-14-15, 08:49 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand the HP/torque concerns. Can't really compare it to any mustang because of the luxury it has over it. If I had to choose one thing it would be for the car to have been 300-350 lbs. lighter. That alone would've made it perform in such a way to silence it's critics.

But to that thought, image if this thing was 350 lbs. lighter and all wheel drive...Bonkers!
Old 10-14-15, 08:56 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes the LEDs can easily installed in the interior and I have done it on my last three cars, that isn't the point, at this price point I shouldn't have to buy them and replace them myself.

I found another annoyance, the dash mounted trunk button, I drop my kid off at school every day and she buts her stuff in the trunk, I can't get to the damn button without popping the door open, it's in and stupid place.

If it were up by the wing button it the park sense button it would be easier to reach, I'm thinking of seeing if I can relocate it this weekend.
Old 10-14-15, 09:13 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ventilated seats that actually work. These actually heat up my back (there's a 7 page thread with many experiencing it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ated-seat.html)

LED rear turn signals. It's silly that much cheaper cars have them and this doesn't.

Remote start: I hate that the car shuts off when you open a door or the trunk.
Old 10-14-15, 09:23 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
Ventilated seats that actually work. These actually heat up my back (there's a 7 page thread with many experiencing it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ated-seat.html)

LED rear turn signals. It's silly that much cheaper cars have them and this doesn't.

Remote start: I hate that the car shuts off when you open a door or the trunk.
I am with you on the heated vented seats lol, also nothing like opening the door having the car shut off to start it again in 10 seconds.
Old 10-15-15, 04:07 AM
asinow
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Some may be duplicated but here's mine.

- Headlights that turned with your steering

- Power trunk up and DOWN

- Foot trunk release

- Electronic shifter (similar to a BMW)

- Remote start on keyfob

- A way to tune to a XM channel faster

- Black paint that didn't mark so easily

- Ability to adjust the exhaust sound

- LED rear turn signals

Good topic Mjeds !
Old 10-15-15, 05:52 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

My Enform app works great in my car. if you just bought the car, it likely needs a software update( there have been 2-3 updates since the beginning of this year).

Slacker IMO is a much better music app than Pandora. For the same price you get unlimited skips and they don't play the same song 10 times an hour. I still have/use Pandora, but I enjoy Slacker a lot more.

Vented seats....suck. Worst vented seats I've ever had, all they do is make noise. Heated seats barely warm.

Headlights- not adjustable from the cabin kinda irked me, but there is an easy adjustment under the hood.

Take time to learn the Enform system, you might begin to like it more��
Old 10-15-15, 08:11 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asinow

- Remote start on keyfob
You can remote start from the key fob. Hit the lock button three times and on the third time, hold the button down until you see the turn signals flash.
Old 10-15-15, 09:25 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i much prefer the warm incandescent bulbs for the interior. i find the led color too harsh like a prison cafeteria (yes i've been to prison).

my pet peeve is that the brake lights are still incandescent. dates the rear lights quite a bit just like the m4.
Old 10-15-15, 09:52 AM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Memory seat buttons that work when the car is moving.

- A proper infotainment system. That touchpad is so annoying, doing anything is so distracting, I only use voice commands now. The nav is totally useless, I rely on my phone now.

- Heated mirrors that actually work. My parking garage at work is at times really humid (for stupid reasons) and on cold days when I drive in, it fogs up and makes them useless, so I can't reverse into my spot at all. Can't see the pillars that separate my spot.

Quick Reply: things you think or wish the RC-F had