RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dealership Won't install Carbotech Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 06:52 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Dealership Won't install Carbotech Brake Pads

Couldn't believe this, they told me they don't install any other brand of brake pads other than Lexus. She also said that they couldn't Guarantee any other pad & i told her i don't need you to Guarantee it that Carbotech who i bought them from would Guarantee them. Also told her WHY would i want to replace them with the SAME oem Lexus pads that i'm wanting to change out because of the Squealing & Dust? Kept asking me, well do you want me to set you an Appointment to have it looked at Apparently whoever said the Lexus Dealerships are looking into this problem with the brake pads FORGOT to notify Lexus of Shreveport/Bossier City? Can't understand how some of these Dealerships do all the things that some of you on here have said & i can't even get mine to change out brake pads
Old 10-07-15, 08:10 PM
kareemRCF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't you take it to any other place besides a dealer?
Old 10-07-15, 08:26 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not surprised that they won't install aftermarket parts....the other guy who did was lucky IMO. With that, today was the first day washing the car and let me tell you, I understand why everyone is *****ing about the brake dust, OMG it's terrible. I had to wash my wheels three times and still had to go back afterwards with a dry microfiber towel and get the areas I missed.
Old 10-07-15, 08:37 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We never installed any aftermarket parts at our dealer with the exception of wheels and they had to be ordered through the dealerships parts department.

Take the car to another shop, anyone can install pads and you will pay a lot less. Hell take it to your local high school auto vocational class they will probably do it for free or for a case of Mt Dew.
Old 10-07-15, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't see anything surprising that dealerships refuse to install anything but factory parts. whether you like it or not they touch your car so they could be liable. what if the pads don't fit? what if the pads don't work well with the rotors? what if the pads cause noise? a good lawyer will make them liable no matter what you claim today.

if any dealers do they are likely just doing it out of good will or they (SA) know you well enough.

my dealership can probably do a lot for me but that's because i know them pretty well (long time relationship). otherwise i wouldn't even dream of doing stuff like this
Old 10-07-15, 09:38 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by kareemRCF
why don't you take it to any other place besides a dealer?
Been there done that (look at other thread about break squealing issue). I took it to my local tire/wheel guy that actually does a good bit of other things on my other cars & after they looked at it said i would probably need to take it to the dealership because of the wheel sensors, etc... & apparently they didn't have any info on the RCF's (guess because they're still fairly new). He was worried after they got the pads off that they couldn't get everything back together without having any CEL's. Believe me, the Dealership is the LAST Place i would want to take it too!
Old 10-07-15, 09:40 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexusfixer
We never installed any aftermarket parts at our dealer with the exception of wheels and they had to be ordered through the dealerships parts department.

Take the car to another shop, anyone can install pads and you will pay a lot less. Hell take it to your local high school auto vocational class they will probably do it for free or for a case of Mt Dew.
Go back & look at what i posted in the thread of squealing brake pads & you'll see it's NOT that Easy & i'd Love to know Who or WHY anyone would order custom wheels thru a dealership parts dept. & just HOW MUCH ya'll's mark up is for that?

Last edited by johnnyreb; 10-07-15 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 09:53 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

WHO was that on here that said Lexus knew there was a problem with the RCF's & their brake squealing & was going to make an Announcement soon? Guys, i understand about the issues of them doing this but i would sign off on anything holding them responsible just as long as they did a correct replacement. It's Carbotech, not some No Name off brand replacement. You'd think they would try & work something out with me Especially after we got the RCF & the LS460 on the SAME Day
Old 10-08-15, 05:00 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand if you don't want to do it yourself but I did mine at home with a hex wrench, a tire iron, and a jack (jack stands for safety of course) in about 20 minutes per wheel. I also got the chance to clean the back side of the OEM wheels as well.
Old 10-08-15, 06:48 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I understand if you don't want to do it yourself but I did mine at home with a hex wrench, a tire iron, and a jack (jack stands for safety of course) in about 20 minutes per wheel. I also got the chance to clean the back side of the OEM wheels as well.
Thanks jkeifer, but No i Definitely don't need to try & do them That's what i don't understand about my tire/wheel guy not really wanting to do them IF they're not any different than any other brake pad job? I'm going to go to another one & just see what they say. You didn't have any issues with the sensors or any CEL's after you did yours? That's what they were afraid of was a problem hooking everything back up without any issues with the tire/wheel sensors & CEL's. In other words, are you sayin' they're not ANY different than any other vehicle?
Old 10-08-15, 07:04 AM
RamiRom
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats unfortunate, its crazy the difference between Lexus dealerships, JM Lexus here in South Florida has a department specifically for modding their cars and installing all kinds of aftermarket parts. They sell "instabuilt" RCFs that come fully wrapped, wheels, exhaust, brakes and a insane pricetag.
Old 10-08-15, 08:00 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by RamiRom
Thats unfortunate, its crazy the difference between Lexus dealerships, JM Lexus here in South Florida has a department specifically for modding their cars and installing all kinds of aftermarket parts. They sell "instabuilt" RCFs that come fully wrapped, wheels, exhaust, brakes and a insane pricetag.
That's probably because you're in S. FLORIDA & this dealership is in Shreveport/Bossier City La. I'm probably the FIRST one that's ever even asked them to do ANY kind of a Mod on an RCF I don't think they've even Sold that many of them in La.
Old 10-08-15, 08:42 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My dealership in Rochester NY that did in deed install my Carbotech pads and LEMS intake also has a department for ordering after market parts and installing them. I ordered RSR coilovers and exhaust from GTHAUS and they will install them this Spring.
Old 10-08-15, 08:58 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

My dealer installed aftermarket tire pressure sensors. Maybe not the same scenario since brakes are more of a safety issue. But I can understand them not wanting to do the pads.
Old 10-08-15, 10:00 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake pads are the one thing I do on my own since it's so easy. That being said, here are my notes when I installed the Carbotech pads:

The pad wear indicator was hard to get back on for the fronts.

All four rear pads were identical, no right side/left side. The wear pad indicator for the left side ends up not lining up to the slot on the caliper where the wires run through for cable management. It's not a deal breaker, but it's a lack of attention to detail that's a bit frustrating for the price paid.

The wear pad indicator is the sensor just clips into the pad. If it works like it did on my old LS, the wear pad indicator (sensor) is designed to wear down breaking the circuit and then displaying the indicator on the instrument cluster. If you let your pads get down the far, you also have to replace the sensor.

Quick Reply: Dealership Won't install Carbotech Brake Pads