RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

How-To: Interior LED Bulb Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 07:53 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How-To: Interior LED Bulb Replacements

Took me about 30-45 mins to do this only because I did it at night in my garage. If I were to do it again, I'd do it during the day, in the driveway, where you can open up both doors fully and run the air conditioning to stay cool.

Now, this isn't the most thorough How-To post but lets be honest.....it's light bulbs people, we aren't installing headers, so I didn't get too descriptive since most of its common sense when you get into the installation. The one thing to note is that the pics don't do the "level of brightness" any justice. These new LEDS are MUCH MUCH MUCH brighter. The best frame of reference for brightness is the picture of the vanity lights (the comparison photo). That specific picture gives a good perspective of the difference in brightness.

Hope this helps someone. Post your questions here vice sending me a PM, that way everyone can learn from the feedback. Cheers!

THREAD UPDATE: There are videos now to go along with the writeup.

Step 1: Place Order

There are only 7 LED bulbs in the interior that can be changed or need to be changed. The Front/Rear headliner bulbs are already LED and don't need replaced. I chose these bulbs based on price and reputation of the company. I've order from iJDMtoy.com in the past and they burnt out quickly so I'm hoping www.superbrightleds,com hold up better.

Step 2: Verify Parts and gather (1) tool needed

Ensure you have the correct bulbs when they arrive.

Step 3: Door lights

GENTLY pry the light cover off with a pick tool (see image above for the tool I'm referring too). I can't remember which direction you pull from, but you'll be able to tell easily when you GENTLY pry from the front/back edge which is the correct way. Below pics show the stock bulb illumination.

Stock bulb: Door Lights

Step 4: Door Lights

Separate the clear lens cover (not pictured, but it's the clear lens that is mounted to the door) from the mounting bracket that holds gray plastic bracket (pictured) together. BE GENTLE. Please note that the gray piece of plastic separates into two pieces, and you must separate them to install the bulb. Install bulb, reassemble and put back together.

Step 5: Door Lights

LED Bulb.

Enjoy the brightness.

Step 6: Foot Area

Foot area was a PITA only because I twisted the mounting bracket out like an idiot......don't do that, it's a pain in the a$$$$$ to twist back in there unless you're a contortionist. Here is what you SHOULD do.

Gently pry the plastic cover off using the pick tool, then use the pick tool to gently pry out the bulb, install new bulb, replace cover. That's it....30 seconds to do passenger, 10 mins to do drivers side since I twisted the socket out of the mounting bracket (DUH).

Stock bulb:

LED Bulb:

Step 7: Vanity Lights

GENTLY pry from the left side (it's the same on both driver/passenger side).....always pry on the left side, the vanity light cover. It's a pretty stubborn lens cover to remove, so be patient and slowly work it out (again, from the left side of the lens). Remove bulb, install bulb, reassemble....GENTLY!

Step 8: Vanity Lights

Stock Bulb:

LED Bulb:

Comparison (Stock Bulb (LEFT), LED Bulb (RIGHT):

Step 9: Trunk Light

Gently pull from passenger side (right side) of lens cover the light bracket (remember, pull down from passenger side). Separate the light bracket pieces (black and clear piece), install bulb, reassemble.

Stock Bulb:

LED Bulb:

Couple videos since some folks were still confused, hope this helps:

Last edited by toystry; 01-08-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 11:26 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Excellent tutorial buddy. I'd just replace that metal pic for a plastic flat trim tool . Much easier, and zero chance to scratch anything (or cut yourself).
Old 10-01-15, 11:23 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Excellent tutorial buddy. I'd just replace that metal pic for a plastic flat trim tool . Much easier, and zero chance to scratch anything (or cut yourself).
It's what I had sitting around but ya, a plastic trim remover would be another option for sure if you have one or can find one at Home Depot/Lowes. If I remember correctly you're the one who posted which bulbs you purchased so thanks for the assist on the bulb choice.
Old 10-01-15, 04:05 PM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx for sharing~
Old 10-01-15, 04:39 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up bro! Thanks for sharing
Old 10-04-15, 07:16 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!

I just ordered 7 interior bulbs, as well as LED rear signals and relays.
Old 10-05-15, 12:53 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Nice! Superbrightleds.com is where I've always bought my bulbs from as well. Good quality!
Old 10-13-15, 01:08 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tip: Foot Area LED

I just replaced all 7 LEDs. For the Foot Area I used a flat nose plier that I wrap with some electrical tape at the tip to grip the bulb then simply pull out the old bulb in straight downward motion. Don't grip the bulb too hard on the plier or risk cracking the bulb.
Old 10-13-15, 03:48 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChuH
I just replaced all 7 LEDs. For the Foot Area I used a flat nose plier that I wrap with some electrical tape at the tip to grip the bulb then simply pull out the old bulb in straight downward motion. Don't grip the bulb too hard on the plier or risk cracking the bulb.
I was able to get my fat fingers in there but that works as well as long as you don't crunch the glass bulb.
Old 10-15-15, 02:09 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Just added videos for all LED bulb replacements in the original post....hope this helps those who needed more clarification.

Old 10-15-15, 02:34 PM
Akiho
Rookie

Default Thank you, toystry..

Originally Posted by toystry
Just added videos for all LED bulb replacements in the original post....hope this helps those who needed more clarification.

Hi, toystry

How are you? Thank you very much for your great YouTube tutorial videos, posts and pictures for the LED Lights. I am going to order 8 LED's, right after replying to your post. Hehe.. I know we only need 6 but I like to have some spare bulbs so I don't have to reorder and wait for them. Please have a great rest of the week and once, again, Thank you for your awesome detailed posts, toystry. Yes, changing bulbs is very simple but having pictures, detailed information and videos does make it very simple and hassle free. Hehe.. ;-) oh, by the way, does the center dome use the same LED Bulbs and the 3 small ones above our rear view mirror? Thanks in advance for that. I am trying to find out more about them as we speak in other posts. I might as well ask since you did this.

Regards,
Akiho

I just hit 4000 miles on my Ultrasonic Blue Mica RCF yesterday and it's been 3 months now and I absolutely love her.

Last edited by Akiho; 10-15-15 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added a question..
Old 10-15-15, 03:26 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Akiho
Hi, toystry

How are you? Thank you very much for your great YouTube tutorial videos, posts and pictures for the LED Lights. I am going to order 8 LED's, right after replying to your post. Hehe.. I know we only need 6 but I like to have some spare bulbs so I don't have to reorder and wait for them. Please have a great rest of the week and once, again, Thank you for your awesome detailed posts, toystry. Yes, changing bulbs is very simple but having pictures, detailed information and videos does make it very simple and hassle free. Hehe.. ;-) oh, by the way, does the center dome use the same LED Bulbs and the 3 small ones above our rear view mirror? Thanks in advance for that. I am trying to find out more about them as we speak in other posts. I might as well ask since you did this.

Regards,
Akiho

I just hit 4000 miles on my Ultrasonic Blue Mica RCF yesterday and it's been 3 months now and I absolutely love her.

The only ones you need to replace are the 7 I mentioned in the video.......you said 6, you actually need 7 if you want to do the TRUNK light as well.

The stock dome lights are already LED, don't mess with them. Just follow the thread and order 7 identical bulbs (+ spares if you want) and be done with it. HTH
Old 10-16-15, 02:30 PM
Akiho
Rookie

Originally Posted by toystry
The only ones you need to replace are the 7 I mentioned in the video.......you said 6, you actually need 7 if you want to do the TRUNK light as well.

The stock dome lights are already LED, don't mess with them. Just follow the thread and order 7 identical bulbs (+ spares if you want) and be done with it. HTH
Hi, toystry.

Woops, I did mean to type 7 but 6 was mistyped. Yes, I did notice that the dome lights are LED, but still seem kinda dim. I am actually going to invest in some cool LED Light Strip as well too from "www.ledglow.com". They do have a great website with video tutorials, comments and great pictures to show what you are looking at. Just curious, have you ever bought these kind of LED Lights before? Once again, Thank you for your feedback and awesome tutorials. Please have a great weekend and i will let you know when i install my LED's.

Last edited by Akiho; 10-16-15 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added more content. .
Old 10-16-15, 05:36 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Akiho
Hi, toystry.

Woops, I did mean to type 7 but 6 was mistyped. Yes, I did notice that the dome lights are LED, but still seem kinda dim. I am actually going to invest in some cool LED Light Strip as well too from "www.ledglow.com". They do have a great website with video tutorials, comments and great pictures to show what you are looking at. Just curious, have you ever bought these kind of LED Lights before? Once again, Thank you for your feedback and awesome tutorials. Please have a great weekend and i will let you know when i install my LED's.
I've installed LED strip lights on my motorcycle before, but that was a very complicated and detailed installation. I custom made OEM Harley Davidson electrical sockets so that the installation looked stock. LEDs can be EASY or HARD depending on your level or expertise (mine is minimal, but I have enough common knowledge of basic electrical and some basic tools to get the job done), as well as having the electrical diagrams for the motorcycle.
Old 10-30-15, 10:33 AM
nelson143
Driver

What a great, detail write-up. Thank you!

Quick Reply: How-To: Interior LED Bulb Replacements