RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Hot Lap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 08:12 PM
idris1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus really needs to get you on the payroll to make sure the RCF is set up properly for all these track tests. I'm sure Randy would have appreciated that.
Old 09-29-15, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

among all sports car, i can never say isf / rcf tranny shifting is lightning quick (in any modes). it's not bad, but it doesn't come close to a bunch of other cars.

like i said, whatever excuse is here (the setup, the driver, the guidance) is a fair game. the same could be put on the m4 or the gt4 or even the sls. as long as it's a fair condition among all cars i say it's a fair game. if anything, i can go as far as saying it's lexus problem for having a frankenstein chassis. if they had gone with a new chassis and take away the extra weight, no one can hardly have bad things to say about this car now
Old 09-29-15, 09:31 PM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche and GM brought techs to the event. The GT4 played with tire pressures and anti roll bar settings and still couldn't dial out the understeer. The Vette wouldn't even work properly. Having a Lexus engineer on hand explaining the handling traits and playing with tire pressures might have ranked the RCF a little better as a driver's car, but I doubt you'll find much more laptime without more serious mods. I've said this before in another thread, you don't buy an RCF to chase laptimes.
Old 09-29-15, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2
Porsche and GM brought techs to the event. The GT4 played with tire pressures and anti roll bar settings and still couldn't dial out the understeer. The Vette wouldn't even work properly. Having a Lexus engineer on hand explaining the handling traits and playing with tire pressures might have ranked the RCF a little better as a driver's car, but I doubt you'll find much more laptime without more serious mods. I've said this before in another thread, you don't buy an RCF to chase laptimes.
agreed, as noted by some others

personally, last thing i want is lexus being the next ferrari that brings in a "prepped" car for a specific track. a lot of us remember that's how ferrari lost of a lot respect from people, including chris harris

i am not a superb driver and i buy cars for what i can enjoy out of them. a "failing" test here and there isn't going to affect me one bit.
Old 09-29-15, 11:04 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I question whether he was driving a TVD as well. He didnt have the carbon fiber package (which comes with the TVD in the US) and he didnt have the premium headlamps. Though, he did describe what some other reviewers said about the TVD that is can artificially switch from under to oversteer (Matt Farah and Fast Lane Car). They preferred the Torsen as it is more predictable. Watching the video, he could have it.

For perspective, this is NOT the first time Randy has driven the car. He said very different things less than a year ago. He loved the transmission in this review.

It seems the reviews about the RC F are all over the place. Some people say the ride is too stiff then too soft. Some say the tranny is good and quick (Alex Autos, Chris Lagos, and Chris Harris), then others say it is slow and confused (AutoGuide, TopGear).

Only consistent trend I have seen is that most reviewers love the seats, engine, and looks (even those who don't like it appreciate how different it is). Most reviewers don't like it's weight, at the edge handling, lack of adaptive suspension.
Old 09-30-15, 11:39 AM
lexuz125th
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have to say is, give the car headers and exhaust and then please hand it over to one of these guys. When I had the ISF, that completely turned it into a totally different car. I am sure i am not only speaking for myself on this forum. It seems Lexus really hides the cars potential with a factory setup.
Old 09-30-15, 12:11 PM
rage2
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuz125th
All I have to say is, give the car headers and exhaust and then please hand it over to one of these guys. When I had the ISF, that completely turned it into a totally different car. I am sure i am not only speaking for myself on this forum. It seems Lexus really hides the cars potential with a factory setup.
I think you're missing the point of the best driver's car competition. A Miata with less than 1/2 the power kicked the RC-F's ***.
Old 09-30-15, 12:14 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're missing the point of the best driver's car competition. A Miata with less than 1/2 the power kicked the RC-F's ***.
yeah...its not the Lightning Lap. the lap times are just a byproduct of the handling and vehicle dynamics. its not what the competition is about....which is why its so subjective.
Old 09-30-15, 01:30 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 530 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
at that price as tested, i highly doubt it was the TVD model
Originally Posted by aginnt
I question whether he was driving a TVD as well. He didnt have the carbon fiber package (which comes with the TVD in the US) and he didnt have the premium headlamps.
This RC-F was equipped with the TVD. At around the 1:45 mark of the video, you can clearly see the TVD button on the center console by the drive select ****. On Torsen-equipped RC-Fs, there are only two buttons below the drive select **** (Skid Control and Snow). On TVD-equipped RC-Fs, there are three buttons (Skid Control, TVD, and Snow).

Originally Posted by aginnt
Though, he did describe what some other reviewers said about the TVD that is can artificially switch from under to oversteer (Matt Farah and Fast Lane Car). They preferred the Torsen as it is more predictable. Watching the video, he could have it.
I think you bring up a very good point regarding the TVD. Since the clutch lock-up for the left and right rear drive shafts is primarily determined by algorithms, you're essentially allowing the computer to determine how best to tackle a corner. This in essence can lose some of the predictability inherent with a fully mechanical differential like a Torsen.
Old 09-30-15, 06:11 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,239 Likes on 641 Posts

They also brought up the lack of torque and how it would be a big factor on the track's hills... another point to consider when finding the reason for the low track time compared to the other cars in the price segment.

Here is some information about the famous corkscrew turn:

"At the apex to Turn 8 (the lefthander and entry to The Corkscrew), the elevation change is a 12 percent drop. By the time a race car reaches the apex of Turn 8A (the righthander), the elevation is at its steepest – an 18 percent drop. The Corkscrew drops 59 feet between the entrance of Turn 8 to the exit of Turn 8A—the equivalent of a 5½ story drop—in only 450 feet of track length. From Turn 8 to Turn 9, the elevation falls 109 feet, or just over 10 stories."

59 foot drop within two turn basically! Just crazy... With all of those elevation changes it must be hard to grunt 4,000 pounds around!
Old 10-01-15, 04:18 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
They also brought up the lack of torque and how it would be a big factor on the track's hills... another point to consider when finding the reason for the low track time compared to the other cars in the price segment.

Here is some information about the famous corkscrew turn:

"At the apex to Turn 8 (the lefthander and entry to The Corkscrew), the elevation change is a 12 percent drop. By the time a race car reaches the apex of Turn 8A (the righthander), the elevation is at its steepest – an 18 percent drop. The Corkscrew drops 59 feet between the entrance of Turn 8 to the exit of Turn 8A—the equivalent of a 5½ story drop—in only 450 feet of track length. From Turn 8 to Turn 9, the elevation falls 109 feet, or just over 10 stories."

59 foot drop within two turn basically! Just crazy... With all of those elevation changes it must be hard to grunt 4,000 pounds around!
Especially when the "driver" is trying to control the car at high speed and force downshifts in automatic setting...this car eats up steep hills when you are in the right gear and optimal torque range. Just keep her well into the 4,000 rpm and above range and it will pummel its horsepower and torque into the tarmac. Why folks think this car is "easy" to master is beyond me. When you are in the wrong gear and lower rpms, there's going to be a torque issue with an NA V8 such as that in the RC F. I know...it's not rocket science.

I am sure that we will see a different time when another driver tackles Leguna Seca using the manual setting (torque converter locked) with TVD "track" mode. The F did just fine at Australia's demanding Mt. Panorama course.

The lateral grip in even the loosest "standard" TVD setting is incredible, so I don't know what was going on with this "run."

Last edited by ISF001; 10-01-15 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 07:22 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,239 Likes on 641 Posts

I think the RC F has torque issue at low RPM, not all NA V8 cars. The 2014 Corvette lapped the track 5 seconds faster with an NA V8 with the same driver.

I think the time would have been a lot faster with a working transmission, but I hold the car to blame, not the driver. It seems ridiculous to blame a world class driver because a very heavy, low torque car couldn't compete around the track. To me, this is a car you can have fun on the track with, but it isn't meant solely for a track. It's going to get beat. I love that. I'd never take the car to a track, but I'm sure it's comfortable and tons of fun as a daily driver!
Old 10-01-15, 08:14 AM
rage2
Rookie

Just be glad that they test at Laguna Seca, and not a track with more lateral transitions, because it'd look even worse haha.
Old 10-01-15, 09:17 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Just be glad that they test at Laguna Seca, and not a track with more lateral transitions, because it'd look even worse haha.
And you speak from what experience with the car?

You've challenged the capabilities of the TVD?

This car is extremely track worthy and capable.
Old 10-01-15, 09:36 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95bat
I think the RC F has torque issue at low RPM, not all NA V8 cars. The 2014 Corvette lapped the track 5 seconds faster with an NA V8 with the same driver.

I think the time would have been a lot faster with a working transmission, but I hold the car to blame, not the driver. It seems ridiculous to blame a world class driver because a very heavy, low torque car couldn't compete around the track. To me, this is a car you can have fun on the track with, but it isn't meant solely for a track. It's going to get beat. I love that. I'd never take the car to a track, but I'm sure it's comfortable and tons of fun as a daily driver!
I agree that any car can get beat on a track. Variability is tantamount to driver, car, and conditions. This weight discussion is exaggerated. The car moves--trust me.

Are you an owner? Your comments surprise me.

To say the RC F does not have a working tranny and has low torque is ridiculous. I have had zero issues with it under low- and high-speed driving conditions, and many reviewers cite the tranny as a positive. Again, if you do something stupid, you'll get a proportional response, and this holds true for any high-performance car that I have ever owned. Keep the revs where they need to be, and the car is a rocket.

And yes, the car is a blast as a daily driver. Don't underestimate its ability to deliver on a track. It was engineered for track duty. It's already proven itself in enough track time comparisons. Regardless, I am not a track guy, but there's plenty of wide open highway and challenging back roads in my area.

The car is very capable in sport + with artificial shifting intelligence, but Pobst screwed up not using manual mode for full control. That's the ONLY reason it refused a downshift. Anyone with substantial experience driving the RC F will know how it is best managed at 9/10s for ultimate control.

Automatic obviously is not it. This was a Motor Trend travesty--not the first and certainly not the last.

Quick Reply: RC F Hot Lap