RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Protect from door dings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 07:12 PM
jadoocian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protect from door dings?

Just took delivery of my new orange RCF. Super excited but nervous about getting it damaged, dinged, scratched which is bound to happen.

This question could be applied to any car really, but what's the best thing to use to protect against door dings and scratches when parking next to other cars?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-15, 08:45 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

CONGRATS on your New Ride! there is NO Solution to this, just Don't park close to Anybody & HOPE Nobody will park close to you but Usually there's always THAT guy that will do it on Purpose just because he knows how you feel. There is NO 100% Remedy for this, just PRAY! GL
Old 09-24-15, 06:10 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never parked far away or took two spots or any of that crap in any of my cars. I think if you don't care either will they, it's the people that park way out or that take a spot and a half that always get dings it seems because it puts a sign on you of please don't hurt my car, or the I am a douche.
Old 09-24-15, 07:30 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I had garage queen cars...no door dings, but still got rock chips on hood, stuff bouncing up off the ground, etc.

Only way to protect it is to not drive it.

Even then, a car I barley drove...one day a gust of wind blew into the garage and a rake fell over on it...I had to polish out the scratch
Old 09-24-15, 09:29 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

My strategy is to always look for areas where only one car can park (rare). If that is not available I will park at the back of the parking lot next to a curb, another nice car, or something where only one side of the car is exposed. Don't take up 2 spots, that is when the jacka**es start parking next to you.
Old 09-24-15, 09:40 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I had garage queen cars...no door dings, but still got rock chips on hood, stuff bouncing up off the ground, etc.

Only way to protect it is to not drive it.

Even then, a car I barley drove...one day a gust of wind blew into the garage and a rake fell over on it...I had to polish out the scratch
Or wrap the whole car in Xpel Ultimate. That won't help with door dings though.
Old 09-24-15, 10:01 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't had car dings in decades, and I'm talking about ALL my vehicles, including my wife's, daughters', etc., using my tips. They all agree cars look awful with door dings, and fortunately care about taking care of the vehicles I bought for them . Okay, first no-no is never take 2 spaces indeed, even if far away; you're only giving an excuse to aholes who want to hurt cars they can't afford. Most tips were listed above already (walking is good for you, so when there're empty spaces far away that always forks for me), but I always look for corner spaces, next to handicaps unlikely to be used, etc., where only one side is exposed, and you can park right at the line (or over, when there's no other space, etc), to leave plenty of space even for big trucks. When parking lots are full or somewhat full, and there's no other alternatives, look where employees park, and most likely no cars will get moved while you get back. I always look for shade first, and many times, there's shade behind buildings, where nobody parks. If with the wife, I drop her off, and go park the car and walk myself. Just use common sense, really. Finally, don't ever bother with ugly side moldings because you'd have to put one that's about 6" wide to provide anything close to real protection. And then you'd have a chipped molding that you'd need to repair anyway. Plus cars look absolutely awful with them. Good luck.
Old 09-24-15, 10:30 AM
tonedabone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door locks

I have a 2003 GS 300 w/about 180K miles. My remote door locks don't work any more using the key or from the main control on the driver's door. How do I fix the problem for less than an arm and a leg???i
Old 09-24-15, 11:14 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tonedabone
I have a 2003 GS 300
You know there's a GS -2nd Gen forum, right? This is the 2015 RC-F forum, so a waste of time to ask for that here. Good luck.
Old 09-24-15, 12:43 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
Or wrap the whole car in Xpel Ultimate. That won't help with door dings though.
I have paint protection film on my IS-F, still on the highway, a rock hits it good enough it will tear the film and get down to the paint

It does help with the sandblasting effect of road debris
Old 09-24-15, 04:29 PM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say find a reputable dent repair shop locally now~ It will come in handy some day
My wife drives a big suv and being a kid and grocery hauler, it gets door dings very easily, or sometimes from the run away shopping cart(we must have pissed off dent god!).
We take the car to a local dent repair shop once every year to fix all the dings as a Christmas present
Old 09-24-15, 04:43 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I never parked far away or took two spots or any of that crap in any of my cars. I think if you don't care either will they, it's the people that park way out or that take a spot and a half that always get dings it seems because it puts a sign on you of please don't hurt my car, or the I am a douche.
Parking in 2 spaces or in some weird position shows you are probably a thoughtless person or DYKWIA type, but I totally disagree that parking far away makes one a d. (I hate that word really)
Old 09-24-15, 04:45 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jadoocian
This question could be applied to any car really, but what's the best thing to use to protect against door dings and scratches when parking next to other cars?

Thanks.
I got this product called Door Shox. Dont get the valet version, get the Standard version so you have the longer length (2 piecs per side). They are thick, soft rubber with nice soft pads over magnets and a anti thieft cable that goes to the inside of your side windows to a suction cup. Just pull them off stick them together end to end and throw them in the back seat or trunk.

Amazon.com: Door Shox (STANDARD EDITION) - Removable Magnetic Car Door Protector, Car Door Guard, Car Door Protection, Door Ding Dent Protector: Automotive Amazon.com: Door Shox (STANDARD EDITION) - Removable Magnetic Car Door Protector, Car Door Guard, Car Door Protection, Door Ding Dent Protector: Automotive

http://www.doorshox.com/car-door-protector-features.htm
Old 09-24-15, 04:51 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
I got this product called Door Shox. Dont get the valet version, get the Standard version so you have the longer length (2 piecs per side). They are thick, soft rubber with nice soft pads over magnets and a anti thieft cable that goes to the inside of your side windows to a suction cup. Just pull them off stick them together end to end and throw them in the back seat or trunk.

Amazon.com: Door Shox (STANDARD EDITION) - Removable Magnetic Car Door Protector, Car Door Guard, Car Door Protection, Door Ding Dent Protector: Automotive

http://www.doorshox.com/car-door-protector-features.htm

Really? You actually use those things? I'd be worried vandals would be even more interested in my car once they saw those things on it.
Old 09-24-15, 06:56 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to park next to other cars (full lot, etc.), try and park next to another nice ride. Perhaps a better chance that the owner will be more careful.

Quick Reply: Protect from door dings?