RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Acceleration Lag

Old 09-15-15, 07:45 AM
jdolin22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration Lag

It seems to me that the RCF is very poor at downshifting. I have owned the car for around 4 months now. If I am cruising along at around 30 to 40 mph and really push the pedal to the floor it honest to God sometimes seems to take a full 2 seconds to respond. It pauses, then downshifts and picks up a little speed, and then it finally goes. It drives me crazy! If I am already in a lower gear and punch it, it goes immediately. Anyone else experiencing this? It is so frustrating.
Old 09-15-15, 09:32 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdolin22
It seems to me that the RCF is very poor at downshifting. I have owned the car for around 4 months now. If I am cruising along at around 30 to 40 mph and really push the pedal to the floor it honest to God sometimes seems to take a full 2 seconds to respond. It pauses, then downshifts and picks up a little speed, and then it finally goes. It drives me crazy! If I am already in a lower gear and punch it, it goes immediately. Anyone else experiencing this? It is so frustrating.
If you are in 6th, 7th or 8th gear, I would expect a delay as it hunts down for the right gear. The published downshift speed of .1-.2 tenths will not be achieved under this sort of driving condition.

You are obviously looking for a faster response. I suggest that you keep the car in 4th gear at such a low speed by locking the torque converter in sport or sport + mode.

If you want trigger-like quickness, you will not experience that unless you are cranking up the gears into the triple digits--track speeds. Remember: we do not have a double clutch.

Lastly, the ECU will train itself based on your driving habits. When I first purchased my previously owned 2012 IS F, it took quite some time before the car "learned" my driving habits. If you generally drive at leisurely speeds, the ECU will respond accordingly.

You can always have Lexus reset the ECU, should you believe something is not right.

My car has gotten faster over the past couple of months.

This video shows how the tranny responds at high track speeds on Nurburgring.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-15-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-15-15, 03:53 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The tranny was a disappointment for me, not only because it wasn't a DCT, but because it wasn't the more sophisticated (and quicker shifting) ZF unit. But this car is so nice otherwise, it's no longer an issue for me. But for that reason, I almost always drive in manual mode. And if not, I certainly switch to it when I anticipate any need for that. You should do the same, and your complaint will no longer be an issue. No car is perfect, and we have to put up with that. Besides, this car is not meant to be driven like a Camry, so just deal with that small drawback, and enjoy it. Take care.
Old 09-16-15, 03:23 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

this is the exact same crap lexus pulled on ISF. i hated when this used to happen in the isf.
Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The tranny was a disappointment for me, not only because it wasn't a DCT, but because it wasn't the more sophisticated (and quicker shifting) ZF unit. But this car is so nice otherwise, it's no longer an issue for me. But for that reason, I almost always drive in manual mode. And if not, I certainly switch to it when I anticipate any need for that. You should do the same, and your complaint will no longer be an issue. No car is perfect, and we have to put up with that. Besides, this car is not meant to be driven like a Camry, so just deal with that small drawback, and enjoy it. Take care.
Old 09-16-15, 04:07 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by UZ214
this is the exact same crap lexus pulled on ISF. i hated when this used to happen in the isf.
The RC-F is supposedly much better than the IS-F, so can't imagine how bad it was on those cars. One other fact is the tranny shifts quicker in sport+ mode AND when being driven aggressively. But anybody calling the shifts (especially downshifts) on this transmission 'lightning quick', like somebody mentioned, is either ignorance of a flat-out lie. Upshifts are acceptably quick once the torque converter (annoyingly) locks up in 2nd gear. But downshifts are never acceptable, even in their least laggy state. But again, I'm learning how to live with that, anticipating to be in the right gear when necessary. To be brutally honest, this is less annoying than the GTR not having a 7th gear, screaming on the highway in 6th, so I'm not complaining anymore. He he. Besides, it keeps you more focused, always being aware which gear you need to be in.
Old 09-16-15, 04:26 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Guys, Open highway entrance tonight...banged it to redline in every gear to triple digits....bang, bang, bang...quick shifts, no delay...I was in sport mode, manual, standard TVD setting.

I hear what you are saying, but the shifts were immediate and not delayed. Downshifts at high speed are quick as well. You may need to have the ECU reset.

How many miles do you have on the cars? It does impact ECU adaption to your driving.

The engine likes to rev high...It was a blast. Listen to the tranny shifts in this video at Nurburgring.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-16-15 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 05:02 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Theo, we're talking about a delay between paddle input and tranny shifting, just in case I wasn't clear. The actual tranny shifts are quick indeed, especially the upshifts once the converter is LOCKED in 2nd gear (at about 2,500 rpm, after that annoying stumble when easy on the throttle). But downshifts are a different matter. The converter is NOT locked, due to having to blip the throttle. Takes a lot longer than upshifts, unfortunately.
Old 09-16-15, 06:47 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I remember in the isf forms this was an issue and there was even a aftermarket upgrade to make this little better. I really like the rcf. I am going to get the gsf cuz I have kids and need space for car seats. I remember pretty clearly the isf having the lag between pedal and actual pickup...once the car was in gear it was really quick. I wonder if the carbon package is any better?

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey Theo, we're talking about a delay between paddle input and tranny shifting, just in case I wasn't clear. The actual tranny shifts are quick indeed, especially the upshifts once the converter is LOCKED in 2nd gear (at about 2,500 rpm, after that annoying stumble when easy on the throttle). But downshifts are a different matter. The converter is NOT locked, due to having to blip the throttle. Takes a lot longer than upshifts, unfortunately.
Old 09-16-15, 08:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

I wonder if the carbon package is any better?
It's just an appearance package man. And yes, my car has it, along with every available option in my area (winter package is not offered, but those US headlamp washers sticking out to the sides look awful IMO anyway). And don't believe TVD (also available as a stand-alone option) or the performance package itself offers any suspension or tranny tuning changes that'd make it more attractive. But I wouldn't have bought the car any other way, even if the same. The carbon roof and wing, plus TVD, make the car more capable and unique IMO. And no one should confuse it with an RC F-sport.
Old 09-17-15, 05:19 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I remember in the isf forms this was an issue and there was even a aftermarket upgrade to make this little better. I really like the rcf. I am going to get the gsf cuz I have kids and need space for car seats. I remember pretty clearly the isf having the lag between pedal and actual pickup...once the car was in gear it was really quick. I wonder if the carbon package is any better?
I have the carbon and logged around 45 minutes in the test torsen.

The Torsen and TVD rear are almost night and day. The TVD has exceptional grip. In this regard, you can dial in oversteer by selecting the right setting and control it through the accelerator on the corners.

This has a significant impact on the handling. Both are great cars but quite different.

The TVD is a tad faster 0-60 as the TVD will adjust to various road surfaces. We are not talking about a monumental gain in this regard. I have not seen comparative times for 0-175 mph.
Old 10-22-15, 05:50 AM
RCFun
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Same issue..

I'm noticing the same thing. It happens when cruising in 4th or 5th gear (auto mode) and you push the accelerator and it seems as though the rpms just stall for a solid 1.5 seconds, there's no engine sound, then it picks up again.

Something is not right and it has nothing to do with the splitting of nano-seconds about shifting speeds. It's noticeably not the way its supposed to be. I'm coming up on my 1,000 mile service haha, so I'll see what Lexus says.

Last edited by RCFun; 10-22-15 at 05:52 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-22-15, 09:27 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFun
I'm noticing the same thing. It happens when cruising in 4th or 5th gear (auto mode) and you push the accelerator and it seems as though the rpms just stall for a solid 1.5 seconds, there's no engine sound, then it picks up again.

Something is not right and it has nothing to do with the splitting of nano-seconds about shifting speeds. It's noticeably not the way its supposed to be. I'm coming up on my 1,000 mile service haha, so I'll see what Lexus says.
Im a new owner just under a week with my RCF. I love it. I came from a 3g IS-350 F that was modded heavily. I was able to install my apexi throttle controller from my IS into the RCF. Yes, indeed, it helps with the lag. Im not saying the car is faster, im just saying now the gas is more responsive with the controller on. Car is otherwise stock, non-tvd, as I wanted a sunroof.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-15, 12:04 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
Im a new owner just under a week with my RCF. I love it. I came from a 3g IS-350 F that was modded heavily. I was able to install my apexi throttle controller from my IS into the RCF. Yes, indeed, it helps with the lag. Im not saying the car is faster, im just saying now the gas is more responsive with the controller on. Car is otherwise stock, non-tvd, as I wanted a sunroof.

Hope this helps.
Completely agree. I installed the apexi throttle controller and it is night and day difference. When stopped and in sport + and with the throttle mode set to the most aggressive it will let full power to the wheels with the touch of the throttle with no lag. Wheels break loose so easy compared to when it is off. Easy way to test it is slowly press the gas at a consistent throttle position with the controller off and then turn it on and see what it does!!. When already in motion downshift are quicker and throttle response is amazing. Car should come like this. Best $250 ive spent on the car.
Old 10-22-15, 05:04 PM
Flaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it require professional installation? Does it also enhance normal mode? Will it void any warranty? Thanks!
Old 10-22-15, 07:47 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Does it require professional installation? No. Its plug and play right above the pedal.

Does it also enhance normal mode? Yes it enhances any mode. And it has an eco mode as well. So if you are in eco mode on the car and eco mode on the controller you can get better mpg. But i didnt buy it to save gas. I primarily drive the car in sport + and in the most aggressive setting on the controller. It snaps necks how responsive it makes the car now. Its addicting. You wont want to drive it in any other mode but the most responsive mode. I dont work or benefit from selling this product, but I am telling you this is a must have for this car. Its incredible. I was skeptical till I went to Apexi and VIP Auto Salon and they took me for a ride in their White rcf with all the writing all over it and gave me a demonstration. I was sold!! The guys over there are top notch and can help you if you have any questions. Ask for Masaki or June.

Will it void any warranty? No. It doesnt alter or leave a footprint in the computer. Just simply speeds up the drive by wire from pedal to throttle.

Here are the "Modes"

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acceleration Lag