RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Forged Wheels (Vossen, Velgen, VMR, HRE, Forgiato, Who Else)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 01:39 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some of these posts are hilarious; especially from the vendors.

TSW best bang for the buck... please

And Vossen wheels? where are they getting their forged blocks? show me the mill certs for the blocks as well as a finite element analysis and I will bite my tongue. I'm willing to bet the blocks are from china, whether they are machined in the USA or not.

More than half of these new "boutique forged" wheel companies are having their rims manufactured at the same plant! why do you think they all have the same designs.

Last edited by 4everkidd; 10-18-15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 09:38 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^ that also had me cracking up "TSW best bang for the buck" lol
Old 10-19-15, 02:00 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

There are a few rim shops near me in Socal that make their own forged multi-piece wheels. Their prices are great but I'm scared I'm gonna be on the highway one day and some bolts come loose and the wheel flies off.
Old 10-19-15, 03:26 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
some of these posts are hilarious; especially from the vendors.

TSW best bang for the buck... please

And Vossen wheels? where are they getting their forged blocks? show me the mill certs for the blocks as well as a finite element analysis and I will bite my tongue. I'm willing to bet the blocks are from china, whether they are machined in the USA or not.

More than half of these new "boutique forged" wheel companies are having their rims manufactured at the same plant! why do you think they all have the same designs.
Couldn't have said it better myself. As for the few that think a 20" wheel is too big....seriously wtf?! You have 20" and 19" options on most higher performance cars. 911's come to mind. you can easily get a meaty fit on a 20"...... Not everyone stretches their tires when upsizing
Old 10-20-15, 02:44 PM
Zerafian
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

Talk with Ravspec, they are a very good vendor. Iv ordered a few sets of wheels from them over the years for my nissans and infinitis. I was a big volk nuthugger back in 2003-2009. Iv been in love with works currently.

I avoid vossen like the plague honestly. Though work is actually teaming up with them to make some wheels. Im assuming work will teach them how to make a proper wheel.

these are the wheels I currently have on my G35 I ordered through ravspec as well. 20" Work Durandal DD52.

If the offsets are doable, they will definitely be going on the rcf in 2017.

Last edited by Zerafian; 10-20-15 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 03:47 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity, why are there so many VOSSEN haters? BTW, I don't own any......just curious why they have a bad reputation?
Old 10-20-15, 03:56 PM
Zerafian
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toystry
Out of curiosity, why are there so many VOSSEN haters? BTW, I don't own any......just curious why they have a bad reputation?
they sell both cast and forged wheels but for some reason they have as much habit of cracking and breaking as wheels half their price. Vossens are along the same quality as varrsteons or rotas yet they cost way more. Im not sure how they got so popular.
Old 10-21-15, 01:19 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Do you know what would be the Absolute Most you could save in weight per all 4 wheels? Or which wheels are the Lightest? Thanks
Go with BBS. Tried & true. They also make some really light wheels. But then again they were 15" rims but only weighed 11lbs. Haha. Love BBS.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 10-21-15 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-21-15, 09:14 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Go with BBS. Tried & true. They also make some really light wheels. But then again they were 15" rims but only weighed 11lbs. Haha. Love BBS.
11 pounds wow. I think I have a pair of shoes that weigh more lol.
Old 10-21-15, 09:14 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerafian
Im not sure how they got so popular.
An unbelievably successful marketing campaign...

And the JV with Work wheels will be interesting. I'm ok with them designing wheels (they do have some decent looking models) and having Work manufacturing them should provide a high quality product.

I'm bitter about chinese casting/forging/rolled steel QC in general... I have seen it fail structurally at 70% of its rated load on numerous occasions in other industries.
Old 10-21-15, 10:09 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Back when I had the ISF, I chose Forgeline Wheels. Awesome wheel company in OH. Because they're truly bespoke, I made sure my wheels accepted the factory centercap and lug nuts. Sllammed on KWv3s with FIGS parts, it didn't rub even at full lock under compression.

I'm going to try and figure out the right 20" wheel/tire specs for the RCF unless someone has them handy to share from a lowered RCF.

I-Beamed Spokes

3-Piece Construction

Hidden Stainless ARP Fasteners

Heli-Coil Inserts

Forged 6061-T6 Aluminum (not all "forged" wheels created equal)

Heat-Treated Rim Shells

Last edited by ROK; 10-21-15 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 10:39 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Ah! I totally forgot to add BBS into the mix. Yes, BBS wheels are also tried and true performance wheels. Although they don't offer that luxury boutique style wheel, they have some awesome designs that flat out just look good. They've been a proven industry leader for premium, aftermarket performance wheels. They have a reputations for producing nice quality wheels with good safety standards.
Old 10-24-15, 08:09 PM
Zerafian
Pit Crew

An unbelievably successful marketing campaign...

I must have actively avoided them then lol. 10 years on forums and I dont see much besides questions about their quality and why they have the rep they do.

I'm bitter about chinese casting/forging/rolled steel QC in general... I have seen it fail structurally at 70% of its rated load on numerous occasions in other industries.

i cant speak for this though aside from casting but Im ignorant to the origins of many wheel brands when they are cast even though there can be quality cast wheels.
Old 05-06-16, 08:38 PM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone have an opinion on RSV Forged? I've searched high and low and couldn't find any reviews. I've also spoken to a few wheel reps and they've not recommended them yet they're hesitant to give their feedback.
Old 05-08-16, 12:28 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Yokohama AVS F50 (GBC - F1 face) 20" x 9" +40 5x114.3 (F) forged wheels: 22lbs
Yokohama AVS F50 (GBC - F3 face) 20" x 11" +40 5x114.3 (R) forged wheels: 23.4lbs

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 05-08-16 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Forged Wheels (Vossen, Velgen, VMR, HRE, Forgiato, Who Else)?