RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Finishes Second in MT Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 06:42 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RCF Finishes Second in MT Car of the Year

RC F finished second in Motor Trend's 2015 Car of the Year contest. It beats the C-class and the mustang.

Carlos Lago wrote MT's first review of the RC F and placed it a close second behind the M4. Jonny Lieberman (my fav) wrote why the RC F finished second this time. Interestingly, MT placed the RC F second for the styling not the weight or relative lack of power. The editors loved the brakes, handling, ride, and (of course) the engine.

"Why is the RC F not Car of the Year? Because of the 4,045-pound elephant in the room, and we're not talking curb weight. We're talking design. The RC F is one of the most bafflingly bizarre-looking cars we've ever laid eyes on. That's being polite. Our design judge was even more polite. "The overall proportion and package are not at fault but are let down by a collection of details," said Gale. Kiino was more blunt: "It reminds me of an ugly dog that's cute because it's so ugly." MacKenzie summarizes, "This thing is a mess from front to rear."

That's a damn shame, because the RC F is a wonderful driver's car. Says Kiino: "A really pleasurable car to drive, and not just at breakneck speeds. Ride is surprisingly compliant, and the cabin is quiet on the highway." Should you decide to push deeper with your right foot, the RC F delivers. After smashing it around the Winding Track, Markus said, "This is how sport transmission shift logic is supposed to work!" As for the engine, MacKenzie called it "stonkingly good -- the RC F breezed up to speed with a barrel-chested roar on the bowl before nuzzling the speed limiter." Markus also praised the "indefatigable" brakes and the "exceptional" steering feel."

article - http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...exus_rc_f.html
Old 08-29-15, 06:51 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome find, thanks for posting. Finally, the car is getting some noteworthy praise by the major auto mags. Really cool to see the RCF do so well here. They really loved the performance obviously, but I can't believe they disliked the exterior that much. Of course it's my opinion, but I think this car is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 08-29-15, 07:11 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aginnt
The RC F is one of the most bafflingly bizarre-looking cars we've ever laid eyes on. That's being polite. Our design judge was even more polite. "The overall proportion and package are not at fault but are let down by a collection of details," said Gale. Kiino was more blunt: "It reminds me of an ugly dog that's cute because it's so ugly." MacKenzie summarizes, "This thing is a mess from front to rear."
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I think the RC-F looks amazing. What I'm not a fan of regarding the RC (not RCF though), but the RC350 is the overly pronounced front spindle grill (too wide at bottom, and air vents/fog lights look like an afterthought) as does the old school four slate rear bumper accent and GS350 exhaust.

The RC350 looks exactly like what Lexus described it to be (a mish-mash from the front end of the L10 series GS, mid-section from the XE20 series IS convertible, with the rear componentry from the XE30 series IS). For me, those were the turnoffs regarding the RC350 (besides a carry-over engine from 2005 (3.5 L 2GR-FSE V6) which isn't big enough for how much these RC's weigh. Is the RC 350 still a nice car, hell yeah.......but for me it's the RC-F FTW based on it's styling!!

Old 08-29-15, 07:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Article is from January 2015. I don't believe RCF has yet been included car of the year (with Laguna Seca lap by Randy Pobst etc.)
Old 08-29-15, 08:53 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Article is from January 2015. I don't believe RCF has yet been included car of the year (with Laguna Seca lap by Randy Pobst etc.)
??????? So what are you Implying'???????
Old 08-30-15, 08:20 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
??????? So what are you Implying'???????
i think he might be talking about MT's Best Drivers Car competition...
Old 08-30-15, 09:58 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Actually the article and testing results was from Novemeber 13th, 2014

The winner was later announced as the VW Golf

Glad to see the RC F made it to the finalist box

Joe Z

I'm sure we have a thread on this somewhere
Old 08-30-15, 11:13 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
i think he might be talking about MT's Best Drivers Car competition...
O, thanks Dr.Rick
Old 08-30-15, 02:16 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
They really loved the performance obviously, but I can't believe they disliked the exterior that much.
Same hre. The RC-F is the ONLY Lexus car where that huge grille and everything else makes sense IMO. The RC350, although pretty much the same car, looks ugly by comparison (especially the attrocious fake bumper vents). And they should list the car's weight at 3,953 if equipped with the performance packge (no sunroof).
Old 08-31-15, 05:29 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Same hre. The RC-F is the ONLY Lexus car where that huge grille and everything else makes sense IMO. The RC350, although pretty much the same car, looks ugly by comparison (especially the attrocious fake bumper vents). And they should list the car's weight at 3,953 if equipped with the performance packge (no sunroof).
No question...it's a radical design and a concept taken to the road.

I've received a lot of favorable comments from folks about the styling, and 6 months later it is still turning lots of heads.

I drove home last week from the office and noticed something firing off in my rear view mirror. It was the fellow behind me taking photos of the RC F while driving--with a flash.

It's a beautiful car IMO.
Old 09-01-15, 07:10 AM
chilipalm
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I really think Lexus deliberately made the RC350 look worse than the RC-F to make people go for the RC-F. The performance difference is night and day just like the appearance differences. It's hard to confuse a RC350 F-sport with a RC-F unlike a 435i M Sport and M4.
Old 09-01-15, 09:48 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chilipalm
I really think Lexus deliberately made the RC350 look worse than the RC-F to make people go for the RC-F. The performance difference is night and day just like the appearance differences. It's hard to confuse a RC350 F-sport with a RC-F unlike a 435i M Sport and M4.
Whether someone likes the looks of the RC F or not, everyone will agree it has singular styling.