RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Road racing the RC-F.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 11:43 AM
sraesmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road racing the RC-F.

So first a few things about myself; Been in and around the car scene for, gosh, 15 years or so. Started attending regular HPDE's and was hooked from the first day.

Currently running Redline Time Attack in Street RWD class, coming from Enthusiast AWD about a month ago when I sold my 2015 STi Launch Edition. That car was amazing and really introduced me into the science of road racing a car. Eventually made the decision to buy a dedicated track car (still in works) and the car was traded in to buy my mom a new Altima. Then came time to look for a 70/30% daily/track car to ease my addiction whilst I search for a dedicated race car.

------

In came the RC-F and I took it to my first outing at Streets of Willow. Great technical track, well suited for low-mid level power cars with a lot of technical turns. The RC-F managed well and I pulled a 1:33 best time.

I was playing with tire pressures for that weekend and eventually got them too low and shredded my fronts.

PSS's have a softer sidewall that what I was previously on, and the 4000lbs of the car didn't help either. Especially in the bowl.... LESSON LEARNED. An expensive lesson at that.

Anyways, as for the car, she held up rather nicely which is surprising because it was +100 degrees ambient temp with track temps around +130 degs. I had previously changed out my oil for Motul 300v and it never really got extremely hot. I did, however go up to a 5w40 versus the manufacturers recommendation of 5w30 for a little more resistance to shearing.

All in all, she performs admirably and I'm in process of getting a dedicated set of track wheels, suspension and braking bits to improve that lap time.
Old 07-26-15, 12:46 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like FUN!
Share any track action videos in future?
Old 07-26-15, 07:11 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Very nice, few of us from the IS F forum most likely run at SOW willow during fall, we dont want to go right now coz its hot...
Old 07-26-15, 08:56 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you using a pyrometer to adjust your pressures? Drop some unsprung weight, stiffer suspension and lighter rotors . . .

What times did you run at Willow in the STi?

The good news is you have another 9 seconds based on Pobst's time. The bad news is you are leaving 9 seconds on the table . . .

Do you remain in the same class with a new suspension? Can you run R888s or Pilot Sport Cups?
Old 07-26-15, 09:36 PM
sraesmit
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
Are you using a pyrometer to adjust your pressures? Drop some unsprung weight, stiffer suspension and lighter rotors . . .

What times did you run at Willow in the STi?

The good news is you have another 9 seconds based on Pobst's time. The bad news is you are leaving 9 seconds on the table . . .

Do you remain in the same class with a new suspension? Can you run R888s or Pilot Sport Cups?
I was just using a infrared thermo to measure across the tire. I'm waiting on my pyrometer. Suspension is not a problem because it's a single adj. system. I'm gonna track this car on occasion, not looking to set lap times. Just goes to show what the car is capable of and how fast Randy really is. LOL. With street class, I'm up against fairly modded S2k's so no reason to keep dropping money on what will be an inevitable loss. Probably R888s will be coming on the track wheels for now. =)
Old 07-27-15, 06:56 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geebus, you killed those tires! No offense, but that damage could/should have been prevented IMO.

What pressures were you running hot/cold front/rear? Were you allowing the PSS's to warm up a bit before pushing hard? I decided against PSS in favor of RE11's for my IS. Any tire in that size is pretty expensive, I'd stay PSS/V12's for street-use and DZII's, Advans, etc for track settings. FYI, I've ran 38-41 PSI hot for my slightly lighter, slower, IS350 F Sport. (Mid-Ohio, 5 trackdays). Mild-chucking when they got too low.

Also, did you keep traction-control on? Manual-shift? I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement somewhere!

It's always nice to see more enthusiasts tracking their cars, keep it up!
Old 07-27-15, 09:54 PM
sraesmit
Rookie

Here's a 1:34. Harry's Lap Timer was being stupid that day and didn't cut all the sessions correctly...

My instructor was Mark Jager, GTA and RedlineTA AWD Champion.
Old 07-29-15, 12:09 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The weight definitely shows on this track.. stock Evo 9's can do 1:3x.. I ran 1:36 a long time ago (before they repaved the chicane) with a 2007 civic SI on -5 camber and hellaflush wheels lol
Old 07-29-15, 01:26 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff Tim! Look forward to seeing more of you out on the track
Old 07-29-15, 09:40 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I think its safe to say you could use a little more negative camber up front

It's cool to see people start to push track their own RC-Fs out at the track. Let us know if you don't already have your parts sourced, we would love to get involved with this project and help support a fellow track and time attack enthusiast!

-Matt M.
Old 07-29-15, 09:52 PM
sraesmit
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
I think its safe to say you could use a little more negative camber up front

It's cool to see people start to push track their own RC-Fs out at the track. Let us know if you don't already have your parts sourced, we would love to get involved with this project and help support a fellow track and time attack enthusiast!

-Matt M.
I am looking for some deals on brake pads... =) PM me.