RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Fifth Gear Show: RC-F vs. M4

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 06:21 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fifth Gear Show: RC-F vs. M4

Just watched Fifth Gear Season 26 Episode 3. Very entertaining. Sorry don't have a link in youtube yet. You probably can search torrents or online streaming for the show.

Tiff Nedell drove the RC-F and Karun Chandhok the M4

Drag: RC-F wins (wet track; M4 tires spinning too much)
Drift: Tied
Track: (RC-F time 1:44.3 and M4 time 1:43.8) (double point weight)

Overall: M4 wins but they were quite surprise how close the RC-F kept up in cold damp day.
Old 07-24-15, 11:19 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoot. I haven't seen. I couldn't find a link.
Old 07-25-15, 11:05 AM
sraesmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Balance is the key word here for anyone that's been on the track. I've tracked the RC-F now, coming from a 2015 STI Launch, and 2007 Z06. The weight transfer is frustrating, but Lexus has designed a WELL BALANCED car. The M series cars get extremely finicky in oversteer conditions which hurts it. A LOT.
Old 07-25-15, 11:47 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sraesmit
Balance is the key word here for anyone that's been on the track. I've tracked the RC-F now, coming from a 2015 STI Launch, and 2007 Z06. The weight transfer is frustrating, but Lexus has designed a WELL BALANCED car. The M series cars get extremely finicky in oversteer conditions which hurts it. A LOT.
Balance is key. Newer track junkies might be more comfy with understeer, while experienced may rather have a bit of over than understeer.

Regarding understeer, I grew up racing a 911 SC in the mid 80s so I learned the art of trail braking early on to get front tires to grip at turn in and through to the apex. You might have to trail brake the RCF a bit to get car to remain settled at turn in and and provide you with a nice smooth weight transfer.

Nevertheless, understeer can be more frustrating at 10/10ths than oversteer. Oversteer does not bother me at all. My guess is M4 may have a bit of an issue with throttle oversteer for the unwary getting into boost on track out more than a pure balance issue, but hey I am just speculating. I used to throttle oversteer the heck out of Formula Atlantic and Champ Atlantic when I first started racing those, especially on damp surfaces.

Nothing like a neutral car when you can use maintenance throttle to keep perfectly on line and simply use throttle steer to correct line or arc without changing steering arc. I do love the feel of a car that can hit the braking point hard, but settle immediately when coming off brakes and feeding maintenance throttle right at turn in.

RCF may need a stiffer suspension and probably a little trail brake to keep it settled to the apex.

Last edited by DougHII; 07-25-15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-25-15, 12:06 PM
sraesmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RSR has developed a fairly adequate suspension system. I know a contributor of the engineering processes and test specifically for the RCF system. I've got it here in the house just waiting to be installed. Will update in a new thread on it's performance.
Old 07-25-15, 12:34 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I just watched the fifth gear episode. It aligns pretty closely with what most reviewers think: RCF is a solid and well balanced car. The M4 is faster but much harder to drive and more spikey. RCF is more controlled.
Old 07-27-15, 05:27 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aginnt
I just watched the fifth gear episode. It aligns pretty closely with what most reviewers think: RCF is a solid and well balanced car. The M4 is faster but much harder to drive and more spikey. RCF is more controlled.
Six of these, and a half dozen of those. Choose your weapon. No surprises here nor do I expect to see anything revelatory at this point. It's a driver's race.