Current Owner Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 03:57 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Current Owner Advice

Hello RC-F owners,

I was wondering if you might be able to provide me with some valued input and ownership advice.

From reading many of these threads, I can see that many of you HAD GT-Rs and traded them toward the RC-F, or have both a RC-F and a GT-R.

Being that I'm debating between those 2 vehicles, I thought you guys would be a great place to ask about input.

As you can see in my signature, I have a slightly modded 2012 Camaro, which I previously planned to put a heavy cam, heads, manifold, and gears into. However, I'm at that cross roads of "do I really want to make this car a KEEPER or get rid of it for something better?" I've come to the conclusion that I think I will upgrade rather than continue to mod, and that better car IMO is a RC-F or a GT-R.

Some quick background, I test drove a GT-R when I was in college in 2009 and that car had become my dream car at that moment. I absolutely loved the car and I've always wanted one ever since, but never saw an opportunity to actually commit to one until recently.

Now on the other hand, I've been a HUGE fan of the F cars since the IS-F came out. I test drove an IS-F in 2011 and almost ordered one before deciding to order the Camaro instead. Now, I just recently took out an RC-F (see this thread if you wanted my input https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...heck-in-2.html), and I found that I loved the car, and have even talked to my dealer about putting me in the know for a 2017 model.

Now, I understand that the RC-F has less modding capability, but after spending the better half of 2 years chasing random issues, perhaps that's a welcomed idea. Now, it is my understanding that the GT-R has better modding capability though, but my research is thin in that area.

I would obviously be looking at a used GT-R (2013+), compared to ordering a new RC-F. That way we can play apples to apples on the pricing.

Now, I'm not overly familiar with any issues on the GT-R, but I have been following the fuel pump and spoiler issues here on the RC-F. That is why I am no doubt interested in a 2017 RC-F (give them some time to fix things).

Now, I'm in love with Lexus, heck, I have a '15 NX Fsport and my wife has a '15 IS350 Fsport, so I know what Lexus has to offer (or Toyota in general as we had a '06 tC previously).

Nissan worries me a little. In reading some of your posts, you say how Nissan dealers had mistreated you and treated you like a Versa owner rather than a GT-R owner, and that concerns me. However, I'm yet to hear anyone who said it being a Nissan ever ruined their experience though.

So, I was wondering if those of you that have experienced both cars could provide me with some advice. Why did you trade the GT-R for the RC-F? Why did you keep both? What pulled you to each? Finally, if you could pick 1, which would it be an why?

Thank you very much.
Old 07-24-15, 06:19 AM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have had 3 GTR's and loved the cars but it boils down to what you want in a car. The RCF is def. more comfortable and has more room and if you are going to travel and carry more than one passenger the RCF is better. If performance, modding, and tracking is your motivation then the GTR is hands down the one to buy. The Nissan is extremely fast but is still a Nissan product at the end of the day and it shows in the interior and other aspects of the car. The GTR has a very jerky transmission which has been improved in the newer years and also not a big deal but the interior always has the clutch smell. The seats in the GTR are hard and more like sitting on a brick vs the RCF being way more on the luxury side and typical Lexus quality which I love. The GTR hands down out performs the RCF in performance categories in my opinion but that's it. The RCF does everything category good and is better all around vehicle to me but I am now at the age performance is not everything to me. For me the RCF is great total package and I can haul my son and wife comfortably for a several hour trip and everyone is happy. The refinement of the RCF does make the car seem slower than it is but it is still a good performer and to me looks better than the GTR. Also, if you are planning on keeping either car for a long period the upkeep on the GTR is far more expensive than the RCF. I understand if you can afford either car you should not complain about oil changes, trans fluid change, brakes, but also in my opinion the price to upkeep a Nissan should not be the same as a Ferrari.
Old 07-24-15, 07:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for your reply.

First question, why did you go with 3 iterations of the same car? Was there any issue?

As for my "wants". I want performance, that's no lie. But either of those cars meet that. However, I do not track a car (except maybe would take it to the drag strip once...tho I'm yet to take the Camaro in 3 years...so). I currently do not have kids (and probably won't for another couple years yet), so my wife is my only co-pilot. Even after that, I would not be in any kind of rush to put a baby into a GT-R or RC-F lol

As for modding, I've gone into modding somewhat as you can tell, but of late I have found myself frustrated with the constant search for "what is that ticking?" "Why isn't the car running well?" ect. Now we can label this as "well...this a GM product...so", and you'd probably be right. However, it has soured me on the modding world. Overall, with either car, I would only find myself doing an intake, exhaust, and in case of the GT-R, a BOV. I am done with the tuning world as well, so the ECU and TCM would probably not leave the factory settings.

Hope this give you a little better idea whats in my head.

As for service costs, that has been something I've been looking into. I have been on the GT-R forums and found that most replacement parts can be put on at a cheap price by someone handy like myself (to help keep costs of the car down), but in regards to fluid changes, not sure why I couldn't do that at home as well. However, if you know different, please feel free to educate. Comparing it to the Lexus, I'm sure the prices are much much higher. I have found Lexus prices to be pretty reasonable all considering.

Thank you
Old 07-24-15, 07:59 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Spend as much time as possible in each car and purchase the one that makes you smile the biggest. I had daily drivers with less or same level of comfort as the GTR for years. At one point, I used an Elise with a race suspension sitting on R6 as my daily commuter on sunny days. Fun to drive, kept miles, miles off other cars and got 28 mpg to other cars getting 10 mpg. Perfectly fine with harsh ride and Stage II, cat bypass symphony behind me.

If GTR is dream car, might ought to get it. The one draw back if buying used is whether you can budget for costly repairs if needed when warranty expires. May never have issues, but it certainly would be a buzz kill if you do and don't have $$$ freely set aside for major repair and something did break.

Saw a new GTR coming in this am. Cool cars. RC F is a cool car also. I use RC F as daily driver and for business trips. Might prefer GT R purely as we end end car if not have other stuff already.
Old 07-24-15, 06:49 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The first gtr was an 09 which I keep a very short time because they were bringing 10k above msrp and I had one of the first to hit Evay when they first arrived. Next, I bought a 10' from my local dealer for a price I could not refuse and he wanted it off his floor. I keep it several months and actually drove it unlike the 09 model. Last one I bought was a 14 for basically the same reason price it had been sitting on dealers floor for a year and I bought it for 84,500 new and it had a 103k sticker. Also, the 12 up models had more pwr and advances over the two previous ones I had owned and I wanted to play in it and see what the difference was. I traded it on the new vette to try one of those when the 15's arrived and I traded the vette on my RCF. The RCF is just a great car for me and I agree with the above to drive both a lot if possible and buy what works for you.
Old 07-24-15, 08:23 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like some Great Advice from 2 guys that knows a lot about the GTR. I've owned a lot of Fast cars but i've never been much on the Nissan Family, guess i've never really cared that much for their look but IF you want a Really FAST car then it's pretty hard to beat them, if that's your Main Objective! jmo, GL & keep us informed on what you go with!
Old 07-25-15, 09:23 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Sounds like some Great Advice from 2 guys that knows a lot about the GTR. I've owned a lot of Fast cars but i've never been much on the Nissan Family, guess i've never really cared that much for their look but IF you want a Really FAST car then it's pretty hard to beat them, if that's your Main Objective! jmo, GL & keep us informed on what you go with!
If you want a fast and cheap weekend car with decent reliability, find a later model 996tt that already has an Evo or Sharkeerks 750 hp upgrade and taller gears.

I put Hybrid K24s, GT2 intercoolers, stand alone fuel management, internals by Sharkwerks and taller gears. It put down about 700 at the wheels with boost dialed back some. The car was blazing my fast and reliable as an everyday driver.

You could pick up one of these relatively cheap in terms of performance. Heck, get one of these and a slightly used RCF for about the same price as a GTR.
Old 07-25-15, 10:22 AM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice is to get the dream car. The GT-R is my dream car and I love the fact that I've owned it. But it has an extremely harsh ride to a point where it rattles my driver's side window so much that it eventually wouldn't seal properly. This required a trip to the dealer. Even though you can use it as a daily driver, I don't recommend it. At this point I'm willing to sacrifice the dream for some comfort.

I never buy luxury/sports cars new and I never buy German cars used. So I'm keeping a close eye on the RCF. Its issues, sales, depreciation, etc. In a few years it will be time to let go of the dream and move to the RCF.

You may find the same opportunity. Get the dream car now and wait for the RCF to depreciate, then ****** one up.

As a general rule, Japanese sports cars regardless of price don't sell well. The GT-R, the FRS/BRZ, RCF were all being sold with markups when they first came out. After the hype wears down they were sitting on dealer lots collecting dust. Same thing will happen to the RCF. I'd get the GT-R now and wait for the RC-F to depreciate to the $50K mark in a couple of years, then get a deal for $45K.

Last edited by TheBatman; 07-25-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-26-15, 07:07 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you to all that have responded.

I have an appt with a local GT-R certified dealer to take a look at a 2015 they have on the lot.

Hopefully that will help me remember why I loved the GT-R so much, or perhaps show me why the RC-F is a better choice in the end.

I won't pull a trigger on either until next summer, but gotta start somewhere, right?
Old 07-26-15, 07:44 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

In the price range of a 2015 GTR, you might want to check out 2015 Porsche 911. The 991 is a truly remarkable iteneration of the Porsche 911. Joy to drive in town or on the track.
Old 07-26-15, 11:44 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DougHII
In the price range of a 2015 GTR, you might want to check out 2015 Porsche 911. The 991 is a truly remarkable iteneration of the Porsche 911. Joy to drive in town or on the track.
Personally not a fan of Porsche designs. Thank you for the suggestion though
Old 07-26-15, 11:51 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Personally not a fan of Porsche designs. Thank you for the suggestion though
Lol, my wife does not like them either . . .
Old 07-26-15, 02:00 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little hijack here ...

Any of you have/had a Lotus Evora? Please share which trim and configuration you have/had and a compariso to RC-F. Thanks.
Old 07-27-15, 03:49 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fly2low
A little hijack here ...

Any of you have/had a Lotus Evora? Please share which trim and configuration you have/had and a compariso to RC-F. Thanks.
I personally have only driven an Elise, and I'm surprised that any grown men can actually fit in one enough to drive it. I felt so cramped it was incredible.

The RC-F I found to be much more comfortable in the interior.

I'll let others discuss driving comparison....
Old 07-27-15, 04:29 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
I personally have only driven an Elise, and I'm surprised that any grown men can actually fit in one enough to drive it. I felt so cramped it was incredible.

The RC-F I found to be much more comfortable in the interior.

I'll let others discuss driving comparison....
I am 5'11", 175 and I fit fine in my Elise. Ingress and egress of girls in skirts is interesting. I use for instructing and used to give a good friend of mine, another instructor, rides who was older and about 6'4", 220 ish. He could get in and out (he also races so used to tight spaces) but his helmet would poke up the soft targa top.

Lotus are incredibly fun. I killed three trannies and engine in mine, all Toyota products. The Evora seems to be a bit better, but its still a Lotus. Research and go in with eyes wide open so you won't be disappointed or frustrated.

Quick Reply: Current Owner Advice