RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Slight hesitation ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 08:13 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by buch
I've narrowed this down to being in second gear below 1800rpm and experiencing just a slight hitch in power delivery at low throttle passing the 1800 rpm mark with the revs dropping slightly to 1700 rpm. I'm pretty convinced this is the torque converter locking up as it would explain the drop in revs and is how I think the torque converter is supposed to behave.

It doesn't seem to occur in any of the D-modes (only manual) which may be explained by the automatic transmission holding first gear such that the revs are already above 1800 when second is sought. If so, you can avoid this idiosyncrasy by shifting to second when the revs will be above the lockup threshold.

I'll be asking at the dealer when I go for my first service, but I'm not optimistic they will know more than me at this point. Overall a transmission reflash would seem beneficial.
Thanks for the update. I have become familiar with this as well. I agree, the dealer will know far less than you, unfortunately. While a refresh/remapping of the transmission software would be fantastic, I have slim hopes of that happening. Maybe something down the road with future models, but that would be it I would guess.
Old 08-18-15, 09:39 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Thanks for the update. I have become familiar with this as well. I agree, the dealer will know far less than you, unfortunately. While a refresh/remapping of the transmission software would be fantastic, I have slim hopes of that happening. Maybe something down the road with future models, but that would be it I would guess.
Everyone raise this issue when going to get services. Tell the tech to report and document it or you will give them bad CSI . . . That'll get their attention fast. M&a be a little harsh, but Lexus needs to more receptive to customer feed back if they truly want to enter the high performance market where consumers are a bit more **** or demanding.

But don't leave them bad CSI unless they really suck as it impacts their pay and is pretty harsh.

Last edited by DougHII; 08-18-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-18-15, 04:24 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Has anybody ever thought about putting a Shift Kit in one of these cars? Years ago a friend had an 70' Camaro & he could just ease from 1st to 2nd going about 30-40mph & it would Chirp the tires & it wasn't a Big Bad Hot Rod but i always thought it was pretty cool just to do that when easing off from a red lite! I think his car ran in the 13's-14's in the quarter, so it wasn't bad by no means & i think he was running the 4.11 gears with a 3-speed auto.
Old 08-18-15, 09:39 PM
paloloisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just passed 300 miles and I'm having this slight hesitation issue. Happens in any drive mode, but most noticeable in normal. Not sure about what RPM, will have to do more testing, but it's happening between 25 and 40 mph, when I gently to moderately accelerate. Seems like it's getting worse, but it's also been very hot in my area lately so I'm not sure if the heat has something to do with it. I don't hear any fuel pump noise. Pretty annoying though.
Old 08-18-15, 09:43 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone from Lexus will be at my dealership tomorrow to inspect my car because of all the issues its been having with the fuel pump. I told them about the hesitation for you guys for when they do the road test. It's probably something normal but I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 08-19-15, 05:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Has anybody ever thought about putting a Shift Kit in one of these cars? Years ago a friend had an 70' Camaro & he could just ease from 1st to 2nd going about 30-40mph & it would Chirp the tires & it wasn't a Big Bad Hot Rod but i always thought it was pretty cool just to do that when easing off from a red lite! I think his car ran in the 13's-14's in the quarter, so it wasn't bad by no means & i think he was running the 4.11 gears with a 3-speed auto.
You answered your own question on how he was able to do that by saying he had 4.11 gears. Having 4.11s (pretty sure its actually a 4.10 gear) are all short end gearing which help with torque on demand.

Only way you would be able to duplicate this would be probably changing the gears out in the RC-F, which would cause ECU hell since it can't be retuned.
Old 08-19-15, 12:46 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
You answered your own question on how he was able to do that by saying he had 4.11 gears. Having 4.11s (pretty sure its actually a 4.10 gear) are all short end gearing which help with torque on demand.

Only way you would be able to duplicate this would be probably changing the gears out in the RC-F, which would cause ECU hell since it can't be retuned.
Thanks Swacer, i figured that most likely had a lot to do with it but was just HOPE'ing!
Old 08-21-15, 11:34 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buch
I've narrowed this down to being in second gear below 1800rpm and experiencing just a slight hitch in power delivery at low throttle passing the 1800 rpm mark with the revs dropping slightly to 1700 rpm.
Interesting. Same here. Workaround, longer in 1st or drive throttle harder and it becomes less noticeable. video attached shows what Buch is talking about.

I am bothered more by the following when in town driving (driver mode D) when I have to get out of someones way or want to just increase throttle some and it hesitates as it pauses for a downshift. Workaround M.
Old 08-21-15, 12:09 PM
sraesmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the normal operation of a torque converter. It' unlocked at low rpm then locks up (my guess around 2500rpm) Used to drag race and had an aftermarket TC to spin up the rpm and launch me out of the hole better. Same functions. This is probably the only thing (save the weight) that irks me about the RC-F.
Old 08-25-15, 07:42 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Interesting. Same here. Workaround, longer in 1st or drive throttle harder and it becomes less noticeable. video attached shows what Buch is talking about.

I am bothered more by the following when in town driving (driver mode D) when I have to get out of someones way or want to just increase throttle some and it hesitates as it pauses for a downshift. Workaround M.
One situation I am finding quite annoying is coming towards a stoplight with right hand yield turn. If I am slowing down from lets say 45 mph and get to the right turn/yield lane and then look to accelerate, the car has an instance of 0 throttle response, as in I am applying lots of throttle and nothing is happening. It is a very brief moment, but I can see instances where it is down right dangerous.

I will say I haven't tried this same turning scenario while in sport or sport + mode auto, this is only from experience in drive or eco modes, and I know it doesn't happen while in manual. Anyone else seeing this as well?
Old 08-26-15, 12:08 PM
LexusRCF15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That has to be my single biggest gripe with my new RC-F...

While cruising at 30MPH in "D"/Sport/Sport+ if I fully depress the gas pedal the vehicle falls flat on its face for a second or two while looking for the correct gear before it gets up and goes - very annoying. I've been driving in Manual mode to avoid this from happening. I am not getting the hesitation in 2nd gear while in Manual mode like others discussed.

If you select the "gear position" display, you will see that the transmission shifts straight up to eighth gear (regardless of the mode) even at slow speeds. Using my scenario as an example, the vehicle needs to downshift from 8th gear to 2nd.

I'm bringing the car into the service center tomorrow for just this reason. I'll let you know how I make out, but I'm not confident that they won't have a quick fix cuz the transmission really needs to be re-programmed.
Old 08-26-15, 12:36 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

the car has an instance of 0 throttle response
As the posted above said, it's the freaking tranny man. That was also my biggest gripe with the car, but decided to buy it anyway. Lexus really dropped the ball with that stupid tranny. If they didn't want a DCT, at least drop the well-proven and infinitely better ZF 8-sp unit. What a shame. This car could have been not only more rewarding to drive than an M4, and even an M6. And now it's neither. After the IS-F fiasco, they use the same inferior tranny just reworked a bit. Geez. And the reason why is simple: Toyota bought a majority stake of Aisin. Should have bought something better.

The best solution is to downshift with the paddles before you need to get going. That's exactly the scenario I mentioned that makes this tranny downright dangerous. As well as quick-passing maneuvers. The only thing I don't know is under which conditions the tranny switches back to auto mode on each driving mode. By the way, that's one more reason I'm thinking of waiting for a 2016, now that they're around the corner. Good luck with getting that corrected. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-26-15, 12:43 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
As the posted above said, it's the freaking tranny man. That was also my biggest gripe with the car, but decided to buy it anyway. Lexus really dropped the ball with that stupid tranny. If they didn't want a DCT, at least drop the well-proven and infinitely better ZF 8-sp unit. What a shame. This car could have been not only more rewarding to drive than an M4, and even an M6. And now it's neither. After the IS-F fiasco, they use the same inferior tranny just reworked a bit. Geez. And the reason why is simple: Toyota bought a majority stake of Aisin. Should have bought something better.

The best solution is to downshift with the paddles before you need to get going. That's exactly the scenario I mentioned that makes this tranny downright dangerous. As well as quick-passing maneuvers. The only thing I don't know is under which conditions the tranny switches back to auto mode on each driving mode. By the way, that's one more reason I'm thinking of waiting for a 2016, now that they're around the corner. Good luck with getting that corrected. Please keep us posted.
I know the faults of the transmission, but in the case I am describing, it is a complete lack of throttle response. The car, in my scenario is already in gear, 2nd to be exact, and application of throttle yields no power. Feels more like a traction control intervention, but of course, no TC lights are present.

As I have stated before, I feel the transmission is fine in sporting driving situations, but once you ask it to downshift multiple gears at a time, it really falls on it's face.

Congrats on your choice as well!!
Old 08-26-15, 12:58 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The car, in my scenario is already in gear, 2nd to be exact, and application of throttle yields no power.
Oh man, that's disturbing indeed, especially if in manual mode. I drove yesterday's car only in manual for a long while, and didn't exhibit any of that, so probably something wrong. Definitely get it checked. Good luck.
Old 01-04-16, 05:37 PM
batdude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is inherent on my car as well - and it's downright dangerous... freeway onramps... etc.

i'll be raising hell next week.

doug

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation ?