RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 07:33 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood Vent

Well I pulled the clips and the plastic thing out last week so the vent now works as before it did nothing. I can see heat pouring out now at red lights.

Anyone else pull the plastic cover out?
Old 04-30-15, 05:00 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Well I pulled the clips and the plastic thing out last week so the vent now works as before it did nothing. I can see heat pouring out now at red lights.

"All the intake and outlet ducts are functional, helping to cool the brakes and vent the engine compartment. The air outlets on the hood and fenders not only exhaust hot air from the engine compartment but also help to smooth the airflow toward the rear of the vehicle." Lexus Quote

There is a hole in the vent to release air from the engine.

Last edited by ISF001; 04-30-15 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 07:39 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Here is a pic of the hood vent, look at any real car and that is open, this open part if for rain water drainage, at least they made it easy to remove. Not sure how functional this is if at all.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Vent-20150430_223620.jpg  

Last edited by Ryanmcd; 04-30-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 07:44 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

More pics of the vent
Attached Thumbnails Hood Vent-20150430_224035.jpg   Hood Vent-20150430_224057.jpg  
Old 05-01-15, 04:24 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More pics of the vent
You removed the dust and water collector.

Everything I have read is that this is functional, so...I will see if I can find out more about its design as a heat extractor.
Old 05-01-15, 07:45 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF001
You removed the dust and water collector.

Everything I have read is that this is functional, so...I will see if I can find out more about its design as a heat extractor.
All you have to do is look at it, also the low pressure behind the vent will pull air out but how much air can you pull out of that vent with a huge plastic thing? Also you can tell how the hole is lower it's for drainage and it does not line up with anything Look at say a Mitsu evo 8, I had one and that hood vent worked and was the same as this car but it was open.
Old 05-01-15, 09:13 AM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll probably do the same thing as you. Never took the time to look through it. That piece looks like it's not doing much for extraction.
Old 05-01-15, 11:31 AM
followtheF
Rookie

Any concerns about getting the engine too wet when it rains or when it's washed? I thought the manual or something said to avoid putting water down the hood vent if you wash it, and when it rains it looks like it collects and drips out of that little opening. With that plastic part out though, will too much water get in? I'm not too concerned, but wondering what you guys think, because I also never took the time to look but I'm tempted to pull it out too.
Old 05-01-15, 12:37 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by followtheF
Any concerns about getting the engine too wet when it rains or when it's washed? I thought the manual or something said to avoid putting water down the hood vent if you wash it, and when it rains it looks like it collects and drips out of that little opening. With that plastic part out though, will too much water get in? I'm not too concerned, but wondering what you guys think, because I also never took the time to look but I'm tempted to pull it out too.
I have never had any issues on any modern car, I had a evo with a hood vent 2x as big as this for 5 years and never had any issues. also it has a cover on the engine and if you pull it off you will see it covers 2 computers but they are covered and back to the firewall.

My guess is Lexus knew people would be pulling this as it's on with plastic clips so you can do so. So far I washed my car engine and have been in some heavy rain without any issues.
Old 05-01-15, 01:16 PM
followtheF
Rookie

I have never had any issues on any modern car, I had a evo with a hood vent 2x as big as this for 5 years and never had any issues. also it has a cover on the engine and if you pull it off you will see it covers 2 computers but they are covered and back to the firewall.

My guess is Lexus knew people would be pulling this as it's on with plastic clips so you can do so. So far I washed my car engine and have been in some heavy rain without any issues.
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured, just wanted to hear someone confirm so I didn't have to learn the hard way. Thanks.
Old 05-01-15, 02:37 PM
detluv313
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default may be on to something

I think I may try that out also...
Old 05-03-15, 07:47 AM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Venting

This was the very first thing I did after I brought my F home. I looked under the hood and thought are you kidding me? It's gone and I just spend a little extra detail time under the hood. And even that hasn't been required since I pulled it off back in February.
Old 05-03-15, 09:59 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Thought about yanking mine a while back also, but just because you can get an Evo engine wet does not necessarily mean it is okay on this engine. There could be placement of electronics and etc. in a different location. My RCF is a daily driver for rain days. My guess is they sealed it for a reason, but could be totally wrong. Has someone asked dealer or Lexus tech if cool. I will pull mine if confirmation.
Old 05-03-15, 04:27 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess i'll have to see the Final Verdict on this one! I Really Don't want to pull up at a Red Lite & have my Passenger (or the car next to me sayin' my car is running hot) or ask me What is that coming out of my Hood! I would think the people at Lexus would have did this For a Reason but i guess i could be Wrong! As far as Rain i'm not worried about that cause i usually don't even drive it when it's raining!
Old 05-03-15, 05:41 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same thought but I drive mine daily so didn't bother. It would be a good track day "mod." If you use yours as a daily, why bother? It may do more damage than good, remember there are side air vents that are and will do a much better job. I applaud Lexus Engineering for actually going the distance to cover it up to this effect.

Quick Reply: Hood Vent