RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus Brakes - How Quickly I Forgot

Old 04-24-15, 03:02 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus Brakes - How Quickly I Forgot

Having been away from my '08 IS-F for three years and after driving my pristine RC-F the eight miles from my dealership to my home, I was snapped back to the reality that Lexus performance brake pads are REALLY DUSTY. What would have been two month's worth of brake dust on my 2013 GS-350, was deposited on my front wheels in less than ten miles

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket pads out there for the RC-F that are a little less dusty and a little less noisy?
Old 04-24-15, 04:25 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a pad replacement recommendation, but in the interim use Code Red to clean away the dust on your wheels. It sprays on green, turns red after it has dislodged the dust, and it does a great job.

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Having been away from my '08 IS-F for three years and after driving my pristine RC-F the eight miles from my dealership to my home, I was snapped back to the reality that Lexus performance brake pads are REALLY DUSTY. What would have been two month's worth of brake dust on my 2013 GS-350, was deposited on my front wheels in less than ten miles

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket pads out there for the RC-F that are a little less dusty and a little less noisy?
Old 04-24-15, 06:48 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I was wondering if i was the only one that thought that they were lil' excessive! I know all wheels have it but i HATE it when you just go a few miles & they're Dirty again! ONLY thing that helps mine a lil' bit is cause they're the darker wheels (i call'em Black Chrome but not sure exactly what they're called). Thanks for the Tip ISF, I'll Definitely get some of it! I've also noticed they squeal from time to time, is this Normal for new Brakes on these cars? Thanks!
Old 04-24-15, 07:19 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG...this is the worse I have ever experienced. I have Vossen CVT's on my RCF and they are filthy before I get out of my driveway. I am going to look into some Hawk ceramic pads or something??? I hate to replace perfectly good pads but this SUCKS!
Old 04-24-15, 09:38 AM
lexuz125th
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Carbotech they are great, they sell for street and track. Call Them and ask for Mike JR, very knowledgeable and provides excellent customer service.
Old 04-24-15, 10:36 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF
OMG...this is the worse I have ever experienced. I have Vossen CVT's on my RCF and they are filthy before I get out of my driveway. I am going to look into some Hawk ceramic pads or something??? I hate to replace perfectly good pads but this SUCKS!
Hawks in my experience are SUPER dusty...stop ya on a dime...but dust and squeal seem to be the drawbacks from the set I use to use. Hate brake dust
Old 04-24-15, 10:57 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my IS350, people complained about the same thing. Lexus then had a TSB where you could replace them with low dust models. Let's hope they do it again. They should have gotten it right to begin with.
Old 04-24-15, 11:59 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping for a TSB soon too, I would hate to get brake dust buildup stuck on the my new wheels
Old 04-24-15, 12:57 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Hawks in my experience are SUPER dusty...stop ya on a dime...but dust and squeal seem to be the drawbacks from the set I use to use. Hate brake dust
Hmmm...that is interesting to hear...back when I had my ISF that is what people where using to stop brake dust???
Old 04-24-15, 12:59 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
When I had my IS350, people complained about the same thing. Lexus then had a TSB where you could replace them with low dust models. Let's hope they do it again. They should have gotten it right to begin with.
That would be nice...going home tonnight to clean my Vossen's..still cannot handle how it looks
Old 04-24-15, 02:26 PM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather sacrifice clean wheels than brake performance. Most aggressive pads are dusty. Get a regular RC if you can't handle a little squeak/dust. Or a Prius
Old 04-24-15, 02:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
Rather sacrifice clean wheels than brake performance. Most aggressive pads are dusty. Get a regular RC if you can't handle a little squeak/dust. Or a Prius
My RC350 Fsport has the same problem and I hate it. I am going to sacrifice a little performance for cleaner wheels. The trade of is a no-brainer for me. You don't buy aftermarket wheels just to see them dirty all the time. The slight difference in performance is just that, slight.
Old 04-24-15, 02:51 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
Honestly, the difference in everyday braking between the normal vs low dust was negligible when they did the IS350 TSB. I'd take low dust in an instant.
Old 04-24-15, 06:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
For to the record... In the 7 years the IS F was sold...

Lexus never issued an LSB for dusty F & R brake pads.

The OEM pad bite is hard to beat... But I settled for less dusting Project Mu pads to solve the problem..

Joe Z
Old 04-25-15, 07:41 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This must be everyone's 1st car with Brembo's. Just a FYI they do dust a lot it's part of the high performance thing, just like the tires wear out faster too

Less dust = less stop or more rotor wear. Not sure I would want to make my car stop worse for a cosmetic reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Brakes - How Quickly I Forgot