RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Burnout???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 03:45 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RC-F Burnout???

I haven't gotten my hot little hands on the wheel of my RC-F yet, but it is in the production pipeline, according to my sales rep - ultra white with CF/performance package. In the mean time, I've been watching all the various RC-F reviews and road tests that you can find on youtube, and I heard this on one just recently: Even with the car in the "un-named driving mode" - which I understand you access by being in Sport+, expert mode, then holding down the traction control button for over 3 seconds - it is not possible to do a legitimate burnout in the car. Now maybe that is due to the TVD? Is it even true? What about power-breaking? My current G37 S coupe AT with limited slip rear diff can do a respectable burnout but I absolutely have to power-break it to get the rear wheels to break loose initially and have to have the stability control turned off.

So this is old-school from my teen age muscle car days, but you can't beat a good burnout in my book (assuming you have $$$ to buy tires every 12 months or less). So my question is, what is your RC-F burnout experience?

Last edited by Fysisist; 04-15-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 05:44 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are TVDs destroying tires:

(See end of video)

Non-RCF lovers have perpetuated a myth that the car cannot do standstill burnouts. The Pre-production models were restricted at Monticello, and the reviewers presumed the production models would operate that way--a Lexus marketing blunder.

Regardless, I can assure you that this is not a challenge for the new beast.

Originally Posted by Fysisist
I haven't gotten my hot little hands on the wheel of my RC-F yet, but it is in the production pipeline, according to my sales rep - ultra white with CF/performance package. In the mean time, I've been watching all the various RC-F reviews and road tests that you can find on youtube, and I heard this on one just recently: Even with the car in the "un-named driving mode" - which I understand you access by being in Sport+, expert mode, then holding down the traction control button for over 3 seconds - it is not possible to do a legitimate burnout in the car. Now maybe that is due to the TVD? Is it even true? What about power-breaking? My current G37 S coupe AT with limited slip rear diff can do a respectable burnout but I absolutely have to power-break it to get the rear wheels to break loose initially and have to have the stability control turned off.

So this is old-school from my teen age muscle car days, but you can't beat a good burnout in my book (assuming you have $$$ to buy tires every 12 months or less). So my question is, what is your RC-F burnout experience?
Old 04-15-15, 06:25 PM
followtheF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the second video, you can clearly see the brake lights on during the burnout, so looks like you can just use both feet to turn expensive rubber into smoke.
Old 04-15-15, 06:41 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Smoke on!

I already had to replace a rear tire as a result of a nail puncture.

Originally Posted by followtheF
In the second video, you can clearly see the brake lights on during the burnout, so looks like you can just use both feet to turn expensive rubber into smoke.
Old 04-15-15, 09:50 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Guys, what is the Difference between the TVD package & the package with the Eco-Sport-Sport+modes! Thanks!
Old 04-16-15, 05:19 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Guys, what is the Difference between the TVD package & the package with the Eco-Sport-Sport+modes! Thanks!
It's a little confusing.

Both models that Eco, Sport, Sport+, and Expert.

The torque vectoring differential (TVD) or standard torsen differential are options. The TVD is a remarkable piece of technology.

It is best explained this way.

The Lexus RC F is the first front engine, rear-wheel drive vehicle to be offered with a torque transfer system, a torque vectoring differential (TVD). Below, we explain what the system is, how it works, and highlight its dynamic benefits.

What is the torque vectoring differential?

A system that transfers or ‘vectors’ engine torque between the vehicle’s rear wheels.

How does the Lexus torque vectoring differential work?

Unlike traditional mechanical differentials, the TVD employs both mechanical and electronic means to determine the distribution of torque.

It features a pair of multi-plate clutches; electric motors control the amount of pressure applied to the clutches via a small valve, called a ball-cam actuator.

The level of pressure the motors apply to the clutches determine the level of torque that is distributed to each of the rear wheels during acceleration and deceleration.

What is the key benefit of the TVD?

Greater traction and vehicle control: The TVD helps to maintain the correct vehicle position in situations where the driver may otherwise lose control, for example counter-steer during a drift.

Is it possible to adjust the torque differential’s operation depending on driving conditions?

Yes, the TVD has three manually adjustable operating modes. They are:

1. Standard: This is the system’s default setting and is best suited to managing agility and stability in everyday driving conditions.
2. Slalom: The Slalom setting maximizes steering response and is best suited to tight hairpin bends and twisting back roads.
3. Track: As the name suggests, ‘Track’ mode is best suited for circuit driving, placing an emphasis on high-speed stability.

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-torque...ial-explained/

Hope this helps!
Old 04-16-15, 06:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001

Non-RCF lovers have perpetuated a myth that the car cannot do standstill burnouts. The Pre-production models were restricted at Monticello, and the reviewers presumed the production models would operate that way--a Lexus marketing blunder.
Has there been anything in writing saying the models at Monticello were restricted? If so, then how, because I'm curious? what exactly were the restrictions placed on these cars?
Old 04-16-15, 09:40 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Has there been anything in writing saying the models at Monticello were restricted? If so, then how, because I'm curious? what exactly were the restrictions placed on these cars?
The source initially was JoeZ. The cars would not allow standstill burnouts.

This is from Motortrend--not my favorite source--but nonetheless a source. Considering how most of their guys just jump behind the wheel and throw it into automatic and go, it's amazing they ran the 4.3 with the new software. Is a faster 0-60 possible with the RCF? Based on my 550 miles behind the wheel of my carbon TVD, I believe there may be with the right mix dialed in for the run--and there are plenty of options to dial in. As indicated, the car will burnout if the power is not put down the right way for the run. With the right temperature, road surface, and application of power to the asphalt, there may be another tenth or so to be shaved off the time. We'll see.

Sources that I have for the pre-production cars follow...

"Lexus says that the RC F will hit 60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Our testing revealed that the car needs 4.5 seconds. A small discrepancy, some might say. Others might say that the BMW M4 hits 60 mph in 4 seconds flat, while the Audi RS 5 takes 3.9 seconds. Just to toss it in there, the out-of-production AMG 507 two-door needed only 3.8 seconds. The RC F is able to dispatch the quarter mile in 12.9 seconds at 110.3 mph. Comparatively, the M4 does the deed in 12.2 seconds at 117.8 mph, the RS 5 takes 12.3 at 112.2 mph, and the AMG 507 Coupe finishes in 12.2 seconds at 117.4 mph. Not so hot for the new Lexus. Two caveats. One is that the car we tested was an early build prototype and the engine management software has reportedly been updated since we touched it. The other is that Lexus claims that accessible performance will define the F brand going forward and that somehow superquick acceleration scares people who can’t drive as well as others. I say losing 400 pounds would make the car as quick as its competitors. Either way, the new software should shave precious tenths off those elapsed times."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3D1Y685J1

Not too long afterwards...

This week, we took another 2015 Lexus RC F (reputedly with final powertrain tuning) out testing in the desert to see what stats we could glean from the new car. It turns out we were able to achieve faster numbers than in the previous test. This time, our RC F hit 60 mph from a standstill in just 4.3 seconds, a 0.2 second improvement over the first RC F we had in our possession. Previously, we had noted that the RC F's competitor, the BMW M4, scoots from 0-60 mph in 4.0 seconds, while the all-wheel-drive Audi RS 5 comes in even quicker at 3.9 seconds.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_lexus...#ixzz3XURbDnJH

Again, this is not how I would have introduced the RCF to the media, but, given Lexus' intense focus on driver safety, it did not surprise me.
Old 04-16-15, 11:03 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF001
The other is that Lexus claims that accessible performance will define the F brand going forward and that somehow superquick acceleration scares people who can’t drive as well as others.
Seems like the people who want "accessible performance" would not be the target buyer of an F brand car
Old 04-16-15, 12:14 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still goes back to my question of how they would have 'restricted' the pre-production cars. Based on what you've posted, full production gained .2 seconds? Updating the software is not the same as putting a complete no burnout restriction on. It doesn't add up. Not very far to go from preloading for a good launch off the line to doing a standing burnout.

Very curious to know how to do a full restriction (rev limit until mph target) on burnout and only lose .2 seconds off a post production time if that's what's being claimed.
Old 04-16-15, 01:27 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Seems like the people who want "accessible performance" would not be the target buyer of an F brand car
);-) The car is plenty quick--pops 3 digits in a blink. It gets there faster than my ISF, and the ISF is quick.

This is Motortrend playing German songs, but I REALLY don't want to go there.

The RCF will out perform most cars on the road, and it corners like nothing I have ever experienced--nothing. It's the best part of driving this car, IMO. I just had my buddy out who owns an M5, and I think he is just about ready to buy the RCF.

If that is accessible performance, I and many others will take all we can get.
Old 04-16-15, 01:31 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I can't shed light here. You're digging beyond my automotive knowledge. The press was made aware that they were driving preproduction cars, FWIW.

My carbon has around 570 miles on it, the engine is loosening up, and it's running like a demon. The engine loves to rev, and I am getting comfortable exploring the capabilities of the car. I can tell you the TVD will definitely drift and correct quickly.

It is an outstanding machine with superior synchronicity between the engine, tranny and chassis.

Yaguchi did it quite right.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Still goes back to my question of how they would have 'restricted' the pre-production cars. Based on what you've posted, full production gained .2 seconds? Updating the software is not the same as putting a complete no burnout restriction on. It doesn't add up. Not very far to go from preloading for a good launch off the line to doing a standing burnout.

Very curious to know how to do a full restriction (rev limit until mph target) on burnout and only lose .2 seconds off a post production time if that's what's being claimed.

Last edited by ISF001; 04-16-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 02:24 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks ISF, Helps A LOT!
Old 04-16-15, 03:05 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

This all sounds very good, I am thinking I will be able to smoke up a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports after all.
Old 03-12-16, 11:45 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Maybe I missed it but CAN we do burnouts, yes or no? I tried today to hold the brake and accelerate and it didn't do anything.

Quick Reply: RC-F Burnout???