RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Front Plate Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 09:28 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RC-F Front Plate Solution

Living in Virginia and having been ticketed once before for no front plate on my IS-F, I decided to bite the bullet and install the front plate on my RC-F. I chose the CravenSpeed Platypus plate mount that uses the tow-eye hole for mounting the plate.

The design and craftsmanship of the Platypus is exemplary and I installed in about 10 minutes total time. The CravenSpeed Platypus has made as close to a silk purse out of this sow's ear of a requirement to have a front plate as possible.

I don't work for or have any relationship with this company but I can highly recommend their product!
Old 04-15-15, 10:47 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Got pics of it installed? Any issues with the front park assist sensor?

I haven't had the time to place the order for mine yet. Thanks in advance bro!

- Art
Old 04-15-15, 01:03 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

The parking assist appears to work about the same as before. I get the same indications at about the same distance pulling into my garage so I don't think the parking assist has been disturbed much if at all.

I don't have any pictures but Remy at CravenSpeed has a couple of high definition shots of the RC-F and his plate mount. PM me and I'll email them to you if you like. I'll try and take a few pictures but am not all that sure how to get them up on the website.
Old 04-15-15, 02:42 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a pic in the lower left corner here: http://www.cravenspeed.com/lexus-pla...e-plate-mount/

However, I think this looks worse than having the plate mounted symmetrically in the center of the grill. I had no front plate on my RS5 for 2 years with no problems, but I live in a rural area.
Old 04-15-15, 03:40 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 7No
There is a pic in the lower left corner here: http://www.cravenspeed.com/lexus-pla...e-plate-mount/

However, I think this looks worse than having the plate mounted symmetrically in the center of the grill..
Hate to say I agree. You guys up in Va sure do have some ugly *** plates lol, I just took a looky loo to see if they offered something kinda cool, but nada. Down here in Fl we have some nicer choices it seems. When I lived in NV you had to have a front plate unless your car didn't have a way to attach it....plus they never ever cared really. I looked to see if Va had something similar on the books, but couldn't find anything.
Old 04-15-15, 03:58 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Links now working for me, anyway someone can capture the pic and put it on here? thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-15, 04:04 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aWorkOfArt
Links now working for me, anyway someone can capture the pic and put it on here? thanks in advance!
Glad I dont have to do this in Arizona.
Here are the pics for you.
Attached Thumbnails RC-F Front Plate Solution-fp1.jpg   RC-F Front Plate Solution-fp2.jpg  
Old 04-15-15, 05:40 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, thanks for sharing! Glad to hear this doesn't affect park assist.
Old 04-16-15, 05:33 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Glad I dont have to do this in Arizona.
Here are the pics for you.
On the RC-F, CravenSpeed had to move the plate further toward the center to prevent interference with the parking assist sensor on the driver's side. My plate's outside edge is within about 3 or 4 inches of the grille. Although I don't really know how the OEM bracket works, the bottom line for me is, while no front plate on this car is pretty, at least I didn't have to modify anything or drill any holes

Last edited by jkeifer3; 04-16-15 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-16-15, 09:59 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

The pic above is obviously not an RC-F. Here's a picture of my actual install:

Last edited by jkeifer3; 04-16-15 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-16-15, 10:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I always thought having it on one side looks much worse than in the middle, with ANY cars I have seen, so no, it won't work for me ......
Old 04-16-15, 12:00 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Futher to Gojirra's point;

Just slapping it on anywhere in the front can get you pulled over just as easily for not having one. Check your local ordinance for plate requirements if your goal is to avoid seeing lights in your mirrior.

Because my GS rides low and even with the plate mounted in the stock location I can get a ticket.

1. (a) No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/V....g5wdXbvX.dpuf
Have to go to court to fight 'reasonably'

Dealer cover and changing bulbs is another very easy way to get pulled over here.
Old 04-16-15, 12:50 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I always thought having it on one side looks much worse than in the middle, with ANY cars I have seen, so no, it won't work for me ......
I hear you. I haven't checked and I believe it's in the truck, but does anyone know what's there to do to mount the OEM bracket?
Old 04-19-15, 09:07 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Agree, those assymetrical mounts are like nails on a chalkboard for me. Can't stand it. Either go without and take the chance, or mount it per the factory specs.
Old 04-20-15, 10:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question:
Does Lexus USA ask you if you want your car to have front plate mounts or not? (before they deliver the car to you)

Quick Reply: RC-F Front Plate Solution