RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 02:53 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RC-F Fuel Pump

About a month ago I took my RC-F in for the wing issue, days before that I had noticed that the car was kind of noisy like if there was a cooling fan kicking, obviously I checked my gauges everything read normal so when I got to the dealership I mentioned the above said, they looked into they found that it was the fuel pump making the noise and that it was pushing out black gunk from its internal components the shop foreman at my dealership said it wasn't the fuel tank, they ended up having to order a new fuel pump which took about 3 weeks to come in, anyone else had that same issue? also apparently my RC-F runs on synthetic blend oil according to my dealership it's the only one with that oil type as its supposed to be fully synthetic any thoughts on that?
Old 04-10-15, 04:42 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

There's another member on here that had to have his fuel pump replaced as well. As for oil, I always switch to Motul oil after the first oil change. From my experience building several very high hp cars, my builder always says not to use full synthetic on a brand new block until after we remove the break in tune. I know everyone has their own opinions about motor oil so I'm not gonna open that door. If you want to REALLY do it right then get a Blackstone Labs oil kit and send it in for analysis. I've always used them. The kit is free and it's so simple to do. Now I wouldn't do it for any engine, but for a high hp motor I would.

http://m.blackstone-labs.com
Old 04-10-15, 10:08 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carnevino
There's another member on here that had to have his fuel pump replaced as well. As for oil, I always switch to Motul oil after the first oil change. From my experience building several very high hp cars, my builder always says not to use full synthetic on a brand new block until after we remove the break in tune. I know everyone has their own opinions about motor oil so I'm not gonna open that door. If you want to REALLY do it right then get a Blackstone Labs oil kit and send it in for analysis. I've always used them. The kit is free and it's so simple to do. Now I wouldn't do it for any engine, but for a high hp motor I would.

http://m.blackstone-labs.com
Thanks I'll check them out and well at least I know I'm not the only one with that fuel pump issue
Old 04-10-15, 10:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Surprised to see so many quality issues with the RCF.
Hope this is worked out quickly by Lexus.
Old 05-15-15, 07:12 PM
Zydan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot, I just had the same issue, car wouldn't start Thursday. Dealership dropped me off s loaner and picked up my RC-F, they called me said fuel pump needs to be replaced and wire harness. Part is not in stock in US and have to order from Japan, 2-4 weeks, I'm going to show them this thread tomorrow.

Last edited by Zydan; 05-15-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 11:56 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Zydan
Shoot, I just had the same issue, car wouldn't start Thursday. Dealership dropped me off s loaner and picked up my RC-F, they called me said fuel pump needs to be replaced and wire harness. Part is not in stock in US and have to order from Japan, 2-4 weeks, I'm going to show them this thread tomorrow.
Sorry to hear. Hope this is not going to be reminiscent of the high pressure fuel pumps BMW used on the X35s. That could mean we all have a potential headache in store for us and the replacement parts may not be much better than the ones failing.
Old 05-16-15, 04:49 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, it was me. I was the first to have the fuel pump replaced. It took 6 weeks to arrive from Japan..
As I stated in another thread...if possible, do not let them remove your fuel pump until the new part arrives. Drive it and take the risk while waiting on the part.

And yes, it will sound like a cooling fan running or vented seats. The noise comes from driver seat rear area. Get them to order the part and continue driving.

The bad part is that they are replacing with the exact same flawed part. Which means we will probably go through it again until they issue the TSB.
Old 05-16-15, 06:22 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on this thread, I had Lexus check my entire fuel system. I am not having this issue so I suspect that there might have been a small number of flawed fuel pumps.

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
Yeah, it was me. I was the first to have the fuel pump replaced. It took 6 weeks to arrive from Japan..
As I stated in another thread...if possible, do not let them remove your fuel pump until the new part arrives. Drive it and take the risk while waiting on the part.

And yes, it will sound like a cooling fan running or vented seats. The noise comes from driver seat rear area. Get them to order the part and continue driving.

The bad part is that they are replacing with the exact same flawed part. Which means we will probably go through it again until they issue the TSB.
Old 05-17-15, 11:11 PM
krutoydude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus one. Having the same issue. The sound is pretty annoying and sounds like it's coming under the driver's seat. Started doing this after running 12.97 in a 1/4 mile ; not sure if it had anything to do with this...
Old 05-17-15, 11:37 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krutoydude
Plus one. Having the same issue. The sound is pretty annoying and sounds like it's coming under the driver's seat. Started doing this after running 12.97 in a 1/4 mile ; not sure if it had anything to do with this...
You can improve that number by around .3-.4 seconds. Keep at it.
Old 05-18-15, 08:53 AM
Zydan
Driver

Doubt anyone knows, but wondering if the fuel pump and harness would be the same from the RC350, I'm going to call dealership later today see they can pull the part from a car on the lot, put it on my car then replace it when the part comes in.
Old 05-19-15, 06:06 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Well I got my fuel pump replaced about two months ago as you can see from the very first post, well needless to say the new fuel pump is being noisy again looks like I'm going to need another in less than 6 months
Old 05-19-15, 07:44 AM
Zydan
Driver

Originally Posted by jmcc09
Well I got my fuel pump replaced about two months ago as you can see from the very first post, well needless to say the new fuel pump is being noisy again looks like I'm going to need another in less than 6 months
Wow, tha'ts awful news.
I called 1-800-25-Lexus yesterdy and asked them to cover my car paymetn while I don't have the car, they're suppsoed to call me back wedensday, we should definitely be entitled to some type of compensation.

If it's happening a 2nd time you might want to look into your local lemon laws, for Texas you can qualify if it's in the shop twice for the same problem in the first 12 months or 12k miles.

Make them buy it back and give you a new one.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law
Old 05-20-15, 10:23 AM
tmims04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car started making that noise last week. At first I thought it was a fan cooling something off, but it does when car is first started as well. Going back to the dealer this weekend.
Old 05-20-15, 10:22 PM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

To all of the owners with fuel pump issues around what mileage did you notice the noise, mine started around 4000 miles. I'm trying to find if its a trend and make the other owners aware of the issue.
The following users liked this post:
MzSmith (11-02-19)

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump