RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 03:36 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My RCF has been running just fine, but the fuel pump noise has been present for at least 12k miles. Took the car in this weekend, without making a service appointment, for the ECM re-flash and the service advisor came back, in less than 15 minutes, telling me they were going to replace the fuel pump, but unfortunately they didnt have a loaner so I had to make an appointment next weekend. In the meantime, he said I could take my car home and drive it normally since it hasn't left me stranded.

When I asked for just the re-flash he said it couldn't be done because I need a new fuel pump AND the re-flash to go along with it. If I don't want the pump to be replaced, he said they would document my refusal to replace the part in the vehicle service history and would not perform the re-flash either. WTF.
Old 07-18-16, 04:44 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
My RCF has been running just fine, but the fuel pump noise has been present for at least 12k miles. Took the car in this weekend, without making a service appointment, for the ECM re-flash and the service advisor came back, in less than 15 minutes, telling me they were going to replace the fuel pump, but unfortunately they didnt have a loaner so I had to make an appointment next weekend. In the meantime, he said I could take my car home and drive it normally since it hasn't left me stranded.

When I asked for just the re-flash he said it couldn't be done because I need a new fuel pump AND the re-flash to go along with it. If I don't want the pump to be replaced, he said they would document my refusal to replace the part in the vehicle service history and would not perform the re-flash either. WTF.
Just go to another dealership...any of them will perform the flash.
Old 07-20-16, 05:58 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Got the software update done on mine today. Idle speed is a tiny bit higher. No noticeable difference otherwise. At least I know there's less or even no chance of the pump making the noise.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 07-21-16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 07:20 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Got the software update done on mine today. Idle speed is a a tiny bit higher. No noticeable difference otherwise. At least I know there's less or even no chance of the pump making the noise.
Still need to get in and take care of this...thanks for the reminder.
Old 07-22-16, 04:12 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Got the software update done on mine today. Idle speed is a tiny bit higher. No noticeable difference otherwise. At least I know there's less or even no chance of the pump making the noise.
It may be me, but the F seems to be idling and running better--more responsive--with the flash. Again, it may just be me.

Regardless, noise or no noise, I'd recommend the flash to everyone.
Old 07-22-16, 12:02 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I just got the flash done at my 10K Service. I'll give my inputs after a couple of days.
Old 07-24-16, 12:14 PM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by ISF001
It may be me, but the F seems to be idling and running better--more responsive--with the flash. Again, it may just be me.

Regardless, noise or no noise, I'd recommend the flash to everyone.
Now that I've driven more after the ecu update, I have not experienced the "lag" that used to happen between 1200rpm-2000rpm. And more responsive like you said. So yeah, I agree with your statement!
Old 07-24-16, 06:24 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Now that I've driven more after the ecu update, I have not experienced the "lag" that used to happen between 1200rpm-2000rpm. And more responsive like you said. So yeah, I agree with your statement!
This is really good news
Old 07-27-16, 09:30 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

It's true. I have tried it at various rpm ranges. The lag is gone.
Old 07-28-16, 06:12 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt the same, the lag is gone.
Old 07-30-16, 10:45 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you need to ask for anything. I'll be getting an oil change and 15k service this coming week. Likewise, I do have an open case with Lexus corporate too. Thanks
Old 07-31-16, 12:14 AM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

was at Lexus of Jacksonville Fl.
They told me that they need to reproduce the fuel pump problem before they do any changes on the car. I guess my car is not getting flashed.
complained about the brake squeak and they said that they need to reproduce it(didnt do it on my way in)
Left the dealer with no work performed.
Old 07-31-16, 10:28 AM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by mirza
was at Lexus of Jacksonville Fl.
They told me that they need to reproduce the fuel pump problem before they do any changes on the car. I guess my car is not getting flashed.
complained about the brake squeak and they said that they need to reproduce it(didnt do it on my way in)
Left the dealer with no work performed.
I guess it really depends on the dealer. When I called to make the appointment, I said my car is not making the pump noise and I just want the ECM re-flash done. They did it with no questions asked.
Old 08-01-16, 08:38 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Same here, no problem. 13,000 miles. Car serial 2669 build of 4/2015
Started making the dreaded noise on a 5k mile road trip from Arizona to Canada and back. At 16000 miles (2k into the trip) the sound was irritating.
Observations on the road trip:
  • It would not make the louder noise when 1st starting the car in the morning.
  • In Canada the pump noise was the worst after 3-4 hr of driving
  • If I stopped the engine and restarted it I would have NO or very little pump noise at 1st, but after a few engine revs it started making the louder noise.
  • When I hit the power off button, the engine stops, but the noise from the pump continues for about 1 second after the engine was quiet.
  • The noise was louder outside the car and by the driver side rear wheel. Can hear it inside with the cab with doors closes but not as loud as outside and down by the tire.
    It was loud enough to be very irritating at a stop light while car idles.
  • Might be worst when car is in an area with lower outside temperatures overnight and while driving . Observation: I started on road trip. 100 deg in Arizona, no or very little noise. While in Canada 61 deg max and noise started getting louder. In Washington 75 deg max temp the noise was still happening. In Canada I ofter heard at a slight noise at startup and it increased after driving 5 hours. Also did a test in Minden NV, where we stayed overnight and the temperature was increasing there but cool at night (85 deg at gas fillup) and after a few hours of driving and could hear noise but was not nearly as loud as in Canada. Later on way home, in 100-105deg weather in Barstow CA, the noise reduced alot.
  • Bye the way, I always have always use Shell Nitro.
  • No loud noise now that I am at home in Arizona. 106 deg but I am not driving for 3-5hrs, only around town driving at this point.

I took it into Lexus yesterday and they did install the ECU update on 8-8-2016 after I gave them giving my sound recordings. They could not reproduce the noise. They said that in the dealer service conference calls, the talk was "dont replace the fuel pumps but try the ECU change 1st"

I captured the sound with my iPhone, too much low frequency will make it harder to here so try headphones. I captured it when it was the loud and then when I got home after the ECU update. I converted the video's audio to a .wav file. I dont have a recording when it was the loudest in Canada.

Last edited by rjmalm; 08-10-16 at 07:43 AM. Reason: more data
Old 08-02-16, 08:53 AM
wordsworth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Started making the dreaded noise on a road trip at 16000 miles.
I'm assuming you're going to take it in for the ECU update? Keep us in the loop.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump