RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Old 07-12-15, 06:38 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am so frustrated by the fuel pump issue I researched different types of pumps this weekend as well.
Attached Thumbnails RC-F Fuel Pump-img_0029.jpg   RC-F Fuel Pump-img_0035.jpg   RC-F Fuel Pump-img_0034.jpg   RC-F Fuel Pump-img_0038.jpg  
Old 07-12-15, 11:15 AM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Picked up a spare pump today just in case mine dies. I was hoping it came with the bracket etc so I could try retrofitting a walbro in the dead one but it's just the pump. Here's a pic with the part # if anyone needs it.
How much did this cost you?

Update: Got the car back after 2 weeks in the shop, not a terrible wait. Maybe that was because I was expecting the worst from some of your experiences. Now at 3,400 miles. We'll see how long this new fuel pump lasts. If it is in fact a quality defect in the manufacturing of these fuel pumps, Lexus will have the GS F group to deal with as well.
Old 07-12-15, 01:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Picked up a spare pump today just in case mine dies. I was hoping it came with the bracket etc so I could try retrofitting a walbro in the dead one but it's just the pump. Here's a pic with the part # if anyone needs it.
Keep the receipt handy... So if a new part # is super seceded soon, you can have the dealership swap it out...

Joe Z
Old 07-12-15, 01:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kh4nh
How much did this cost you?

Update: Got the car back after 2 weeks in the shop, not a terrible wait. Maybe that was because I was expecting the worst from some of your experiences. Now at 3,400 miles. We'll see how long this new fuel pump lasts. If it is in fact a quality defect in the manufacturing of these fuel pumps, Lexus will have the GS F group to deal with as well.
This will covered under warranty for a long while...

Unless you just want a spare on hand..

I'm sure before they launch the 16' GS F end of this year, the new part # will be already out..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-12-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 02:36 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Cost me $440cdn, so about $350usd. I will keep the receipt, thanks for the suggestion.

If it dies on me during my upcoming roadtrip I'll be pissed, but at least somewhat prepared.
Old 07-13-15, 06:59 AM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Issues do not seem wide spread as of yet so not sure why you are touting passing up a really cool cutting edge car for an older body style sedan . . . High pressure fuel pumps seem to be an achilles for BMW also on an ongoing basis, but that has not slowed BMW sales. Provided this stuff is covered under warranty, should be no concerns. If it happens 2 or 3 times, you hit the lemon lotto. You get another new car. Sounds like a pretty cool scenario to me.

Your logic might make some sense if you were looking to purchase a RC F out of warranty, but you are not. I would say the RC F will be more reliable than a used IS F and may even be cheaper to fix if the IS F incoming out of warranty.
I stand by my comments that buying a first yr model car comes with some risk , fuel pump issues , spoiler issues , leather failing issues. I will be content to drive my 19, 000 mile 12 outdated ISF until I am assured the issues that others are having are corrected. Nothing like having a new car you are paying for sitting in the shop for weeks at a time waiting on a warranty fix.
Old 07-13-15, 07:16 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
I am so frustrated by the fuel pump issue I researched different types of pumps this weekend as well.
Db, you're gonna LOVE the C63 S...I noticed you're looking at the series 1 interior as well. My friend just bought the exact same car and it's badass. That car was on my radar when I was looking for a new car....I love the IWC clock on the dash as well. I'm a watch guy
Old 07-19-15, 12:50 PM
Flilady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no. I'm at 560 miles, driven the car 5 times and I'm hearing the noise, having hesitation and loss of power and smooth shifting. My car sounds exactly like the video that was posted....pretty sure it's the fuel pump (have appt. Tuesday).....600 miles....really?
Old 07-19-15, 01:28 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flilady
Oh no. I'm at 560 miles, driven the car 5 times and I'm hearing the noise, having hesitation and loss of power and smooth shifting. My car sounds exactly like the video that was posted....pretty sure it's the fuel pump (have appt. Tuesday).....600 miles....really?
Wow, so sorry. I know you were excited when it came in.
Old 07-19-15, 01:31 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

ARRGHHHH. I guess the fuel pumps last about 5,000 miles. Mine just started humming again at 11,500. It has already been replaced once before.

Tick Tock on the lemon law clock again. My state is 3 attempts OR 30 days out of service.
I think they had it for around 20 days the first time.

DOUGH- Should I send anything via certified mail as well?
Not yet. Act like not in hurry and hopefully it will take longer than 10 days. Don't remind them its the second time so they don't look at how many days they have left. This at least keeps your options open.
Old 07-19-15, 02:15 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasupra
I stand by my comments that buying a first yr model car comes with some risk , fuel pump issues , spoiler issues , leather failing issues. I will be content to drive my 19, 000 mile 12 outdated ISF until I am assured the issues that others are having are corrected. Nothing like having a new car you are paying for sitting in the shop for weeks at a time waiting on a warranty fix.
Lexus will run the metrics on all these issues and decide if they should invest in correcting them. What you usually see is major mechanical issues get fixed (ie. fuel pump) but minor cosmetic issues (leather) probably won't as this would require a new vendor and its highly doubtful Lexus will break these contracts unless its affecting a significant percentage of models.

The other thing to keep in mind is that performance cars have a poor track record when it comes to first year production models. Nissan GT-R, BMW M models, Lexus RCF, etc. Sad to say they use the same endurance testing models as for their more pedestrian models. They use real world data (1st year owner issues) to tweak future production.
Old 07-22-15, 06:06 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

UPDATE-
My second fuel started humming at 11,200.
Lexus Japan was notified and they flew in 2 techs. They spent two days attaching all kind of computers and diagnostic tools to research the issue. They over-nighted a fuel pump from Japan to replace.
They told my local manager that they (the techs) determined that they have a true problem with the RCF fuel pumps and he could expect that that a bulletin to be announced soon. The pump is out sourced and they were returning to Japan to learn how they can tweak the part. Of course this is the Japanese techs talking to a local service manager in the US.
The corporate guys are the ones who will decide the cost of resolving this issue with customers.
Old 07-22-15, 06:26 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE-
My second fuel started humming at 11,200.
Lexus Japan was notified and they flew in 2 techs. They spent two days attaching all kind of computers and diagnostic tools to research the issue. They over-nighted a fuel pump from Japan to replace.
They told my local manager that they (the techs) determined that they have a true problem with the RCF fuel pumps and he could expect that that a bulletin to be announced soon. The pump is out sourced and they were returning to Japan to learn how they can tweak the part. Of course this is the Japanese techs talking to a local service manager in the US.
The corporate guys are the ones who will decide the cost of resolving this issue with customers.
Thanks for the update and staying diligently on the issue. It will pay dividends for the rest of us.
Old 07-23-15, 05:00 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to research a bit more than fuel pumps.

You are considering ditching the F over a fuel pump? *Haha. The C63 is having plenty of issues: *intake manifold leaks, rattling navigation screens and sunroofs, melting tires, side mirror replacement, broken fog lights, high pressure hose failure, squeaking seats, s mode engagement after abrupt stops, car going dead after abrupt stops, check coolant warnings upon cold starts...seems like REAL hit or miss quality on builds. *

I am done with the Germans.
Old 07-23-15, 05:57 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
You might want to research a bit more than fuel pumps.

You are considering ditching the F over a fuel pump? *Haha. The C63 is having plenty of issues: *intake manifold leaks, rattling navigation screens and sunroofs, melting tires, side mirror replacement, broken fog lights, high pressure hose failure, squeaking seats, s mode engagement after abrupt stops, car going dead after abrupt stops, check coolant warnings upon cold starts...seems like REAL hit or miss quality on builds. *

I am done with the Germans.
I believe the proper response to this post is

http://memecrunch.com/meme/47IOU/dam....png?w=468&c=1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump