RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 04:41 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lemmon it if any more strange fuel pump type issues, especially with the paint chip issue. Shoot me a pm if need help writing letters. My firm has offices in LA and SD.
I KNEW IT Doug! Every Time you Post on this Forum you make too much Sense & are Always Spot on! I KNEW IT!
Old 06-22-15, 04:47 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kh4nh
attached a video with sound. You'll have to turn up the volume to hear it but it is a distinct noise. It is just not right for a new $70K car to make this noise...sounds like it is wheezing. I would be embarrassed if my passengers heard this
I could Definitely Hear it, & i'm sure it's even worse in the Cabin! I would talk with one of the Techs on here & just see what they say & go from there! GL!
Old 06-27-15, 05:25 PM
KimberlyT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCF Fuel pump

My car has been in the shop ( for second complaint now) for a humming noise in the rear seating area and also a performance issue. My car has been "failing" on it's acceleration intemittmently. I can only compare it to when you drive a turbo car and you press on the gas and the power doesn't kick in for a few seconds. My boyfriend experiences the same thing when he drive so it's not driver error like they usually pull on a chick driving a sports car excuse...lol

I brought it in for the performance issue last time and asked them to call the factory about it. I was told when I bought my car in November that I was the first in the country to purchase. I understood that I would be the first to experience problems also. I think that asking them to call the factory is reasonable as the dealer has not experience these issues yet with anyone else. I believe they only are servicing one other RCF right now.

Anyhow, then the humming noise started. I was smart and videoed it. They took it seriously and called around and found out about the fuel pump. I have been without my car for almost 2 weeks now, driving a hybrid... They say part should be in next week.

Did anyone else experience the performance issue with the humming noise (indicative to fuel pump issue)?
Old 06-27-15, 10:21 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KimberlyT
My car has been in the shop ( for second complaint now) for a humming noise in the rear seating area and also a performance issue. My car has been "failing" on it's acceleration intemittmently. I can only compare it to when you drive a turbo car and you press on the gas and the power doesn't kick in for a few seconds. My boyfriend experiences the same thing when he drive so it's not driver error like they usually pull on a chick driving a sports car excuse...lol

I brought it in for the performance issue last time and asked them to call the factory about it. I was told when I bought my car in November that I was the first in the country to purchase. I understood that I would be the first to experience problems also. I think that asking them to call the factory is reasonable as the dealer has not experience these issues yet with anyone else. I believe they only are servicing one other RCF right now.

Anyhow, then the humming noise started. I was smart and videoed it. They took it seriously and called around and found out about the fuel pump. I have been without my car for almost 2 weeks now, driving a hybrid... They say part should be in next week.

Did anyone else experience the performance issue with the humming noise (indicative to fuel pump issue)?
I don't have the fuel pump issue (just turned 2200 miles and hope I don't have to deal with it) but I do have the "performance issue" you are experiencing. It's frustrating and at times dangerous but it seems to be worse in normal mode, gets better in sport mode, and almost goes away in sport plus. Most people will say just drive it in sport plus all the time, I want to drive it in any mode I want without dealing with the hesitation. My dealer doesn't have an answer.
I'm also dealing with squealing brakes, I hear a whine from the engine bay when I accelerate (sounds like a power steering whine), and worried about my rear wing deciding to act up at some point.
To say I'm disappointed in my dealership and Lexus customer service is an understatement, neither one has any answers other than telling me they don't have answers right now. These are not small issues, and not ones you expect from Lexus.
Old 06-28-15, 10:00 PM
KimberlyT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickZ
I don't have the fuel pump issue (just turned 2200 miles and hope I don't have to deal with it) but I do have the "performance issue" you are experiencing. It's frustrating and at times dangerous but it seems to be worse in normal mode, gets better in sport mode, and almost goes away in sport plus. Most people will say just drive it in sport plus all the time, I want to drive it in any mode I want without dealing with the hesitation. My dealer doesn't have an answer.
I'm also dealing with squealing brakes, I hear a whine from the engine bay when I accelerate (sounds like a power steering whine), and worried about my rear wing deciding to act up at some point.
To say I'm disappointed in my dealership and Lexus customer service is an understatement, neither one has any answers other than telling me they don't have answers right now. These are not small issues, and not ones you expect from Lexus.
I too am so disappointed in my dealership at this point. I put myself on the service managers radar. Believe it or not, the advisor told me when I brought it in for a second time that "We can't keep writing up service tickets for problems we can't replicate"...I was like you are kidding me. Two drivers are experiencing the same problem and because it is intermittent you won't listen to me? I tried to video it but haven't been able to. They are saying that my performance issue is due to the fuel pump. I am skeptical. I hope it is the fix. Will update you!!!

I have had the rear wing act up. I also have my gas intake door that keeps sticking...I have to press the button in and release it to reset the door mechanism.
Old 06-29-15, 09:20 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it's sluggish to down shift to pass while in Normal because the engine is switching off from the Atkinson cycle (when you see the little Eco icon).
Old 07-02-15, 08:38 AM
KimberlyT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KimberlyT

UPDATE: They are in the process of replacing the fuel pump. Hope to have my car back today after it sitting there (all of my $70k in cash aging..) for the past 2.5 weeks. THANKS to this site, I asked them if they had an updated part or just the same one as before. Guess what...no updated fuel pump yet! They were a little shocked that I knew so much. Also said that this forum is a very accurate source about their cars. They are now humbled when they speak to me. I am still getting the old style fuel pump so humbled doesn't make any difference though I must say.
Old 07-02-15, 12:10 PM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When my Lexus dealer called and offered me a killer deal on trading in my 2012 ISF in on a new RCF I was tempted. Then I remembered NEVER buy a first yr model car manufacturers always work out the bugs on the public it seems .

Sorry for the issues you all are having ,still a great car maker Im sure they will get it right .

I bought a used 2008 ISF and checked the service records all of the items of concern that I read about were taken care of so I was confident it would be ok , I was wrong it developed the ( engine ticking noise ) I sold it in favor of a 12 that does not exhibit any issues .

Last edited by suprasupra; 07-02-15 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 08:24 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by suprasupra
When my Lexus dealer called and offered me a killer deal on trading in my 2012 ISF in on a new RCF I was tempted. Then I remembered NEVER buy a first yr model car manufacturers always work out the bugs on the public it seems .

Sorry for the issues you all are having ,still a great car maker Im sure they will get it right .

I bought a used 2008 ISF and checked the service records all of the items of concern that I read about were taken care of so I was confident it would be ok , I was wrong it developed the ( engine ticking noise ) I sold it in favor of a 12 that does not exhibit any issues .
Issues do not seem wide spread as of yet so not sure why you are touting passing up a really cool cutting edge car for an older body style sedan . . . High pressure fuel pumps seem to be an achilles for BMW also on an ongoing basis, but that has not slowed BMW sales. Provided this stuff is covered under warranty, should be no concerns. If it happens 2 or 3 times, you hit the lemon lotto. You get another new car. Sounds like a pretty cool scenario to me.

Your logic might make some sense if you were looking to purchase a RC F out of warranty, but you are not. I would say the RC F will be more reliable than a used IS F and may even be cheaper to fix if the IS F incoming out of warranty.
Old 07-03-15, 08:49 AM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to provide an update here as well. Yup, my issue is the fuel pump. So if you have the same noise in the video that I posted, it is probably the fuel pump. Car has been in the shop for 2 weeks now. And yes, the fuel pump currently is not available in the US, so they have to order it from Japan. They gave me an ES in the mean time, not bad, but I miss my RCF.

Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket hi-flow fuel pump that can go in instead of the OEM part? Something like the Walbro pump? Or does it have to be exactly the same part? Don't know if the fuel pump is something generic like wheels or brake pads ?
Old 07-05-15, 11:15 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kh4nh

Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket hi-flow fuel pump that can go in instead of the OEM part? Something like the Walbro pump? Or does it have to be exactly the same part? Don't know if the fuel pump is something generic like wheels or brake pads ?
Find out what what is the lph rate on the OEM fuel pump (liter per hour)

Keep in mind, SOME aftermarket fuel pumps may work but may be a bit nosier. It also depends on how the OEM pump is installed, is it inside the tank or somewhere else?

I am only talking from experience when installing a walbro 255 in my 2004 WRX STi before going stage 2 and tuning, it was an $85 pump that was recommended.

Would be interesting to see if there is a pump you can use. Who makes the OEM pump?
Old 07-06-15, 11:36 AM
KimberlyT
Driver School Candidate

Default RCF Fuel Pumo

So I am a few days into the fuel pump....enjoying have the power back!! Keeping fingers crossed for the old style fuel pump not failing again!! Thanks again for al the support on this one!!
Old 07-10-15, 07:22 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ARRGHHHH. I guess the fuel pumps last about 5,000 miles. Mine just started humming again at 11,500. It has already been replaced once before.

Tick Tock on the lemon law clock again. My state is 3 attempts OR 30 days out of service.
I think they had it for around 20 days the first time.

DOUGH- Should I send anything via certified mail as well?
Old 07-11-15, 07:11 PM
6i9
Driver

Lexus of Beverly Hills replaced my fuel pump with the same spec same part number. However when they replaced it, they did a poor job. The interior smelled like fuel (likely spilling around my interior) and they also failed to reconnect the fuel sending unit (I suspect) so when I filled up my tank, it still read close to empty and did not recognize the tank was full. It is back with them for them to figure out and fix immediately

Make sure you get your dealer to not mess up like this.
Old 07-11-15, 08:17 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Picked up a spare pump today just in case mine dies. I was hoping it came with the bracket etc so I could try retrofitting a walbro in the dead one but it's just the pump. Here's a pic with the part # if anyone needs it.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump