Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 02:04 PM
1FlySi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Advice

Hello,

While I'm new to posting on this forum, I have been reading it for months now. First, a little about my car history so that I don’t get attacked for being an xyzFanBoy. I have had a 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo (running 13.19 @ 18.5psi), 97 Z28 (running 12.7), 03 FX35, 05 G35, 09 G37 and a 14 IS 350 F Sport. I have auto crossed the Eclipse and the Z28, having better successes with the Eclipse. As well as ran quarter mile runs in a number of car events in both southern and northern CA.

I have been looking into getting a new car and the RCF has caught my eye both in looks and performance. Without getting into the numbers debate, I wanted to know what actual owners of the RCF experience during acceleration. Are you thrown back in your seat, is there a swell of acceleration, or it is a general build up. From my experience, my Eclipse threw folks back into their seats much harder than my Z28 but the Z28 was much faster (in a straight line, or large radius turns).

I'm sure that the answer is going to be “go test drive one”. Only if it were that easy. Finding one locally that the dealer is willing to let folks test drive with little hassle is not as easy as one would think.

So just looking for advice from owners on the seat of the pants acceleration feel of their RCFs.
Old 03-05-15, 08:20 AM
followtheF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FlySi
Hello,

While I'm new to posting on this forum, I have been reading it for months now. First, a little about my car history so that I don’t get attacked for being an xyzFanBoy. I have had a 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo (running 13.19 @ 18.5psi), 97 Z28 (running 12.7), 03 FX35, 05 G35, 09 G37 and a 14 IS 350 F Sport. I have auto crossed the Eclipse and the Z28, having better successes with the Eclipse. As well as ran quarter mile runs in a number of car events in both southern and northern CA.

I have been looking into getting a new car and the RCF has caught my eye both in looks and performance. Without getting into the numbers debate, I wanted to know what actual owners of the RCF experience during acceleration. Are you thrown back in your seat, is there a swell of acceleration, or it is a general build up. From my experience, my Eclipse threw folks back into their seats much harder than my Z28 but the Z28 was much faster (in a straight line, or large radius turns).

I'm sure that the answer is going to be “go test drive one”. Only if it were that easy. Finding one locally that the dealer is willing to let folks test drive with little hassle is not as easy as one would think.

So just looking for advice from owners on the seat of the pants acceleration feel of their RCFs.
In my experience, any NA engine isn't going to give you QUITE the whiplash of a turbo. So in that sense a turbo can "feel" faster to some people, even if the NA is actually faster. (Although the little air intake flap in the F that opens ~4000rpm is a cool "pseudo-turbo" that gives you a rewarding little boost in push (and noise!) for letting the engine play.) Still, I think you'll find the ~467hp of the RCF is definitely enough to push you back into your seat. If you're worried you're gonna floor it and your passenger isn't gonna notice, yeahhhhh I wouldn't worry about that.

I hear you about the exclusive test drive. My dealer wouldn't let us test drive it until we pretty much shook hands on a deal -- kind of a bummer for those who don't really know what the F is about and want to try it out, but then again it was kinda nice to drive off the lot with only 7 miles on the odo because they're limiting test drives. If you can find a used ISF to drive, that might give you a good sense of the engine's "character".

Hope that helps. Good luck.