RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

The Weight Thread (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 08:41 PM
abstruse1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Weight Thread (I hope)

Greetings from a newbie. I get my RC-F next week and am really excited, even after the brief test drive.

I've been here before, many times -- getting a great new car and making it even greater. So let the games begin.

We all know the F is...well...Fat. Too much weight. So, I'm hoping that as we have the opportunity to weigh individual parts that could be removed or replaced by lighter ones, we'll post the changes and the weights -- e.g. rear seat = 72 lbs. (just a guess), wheels, tires, exhaust system, battery, etc.

When I get my car, I'll weigh the four corners and post what I get.

So, guys, weigh in!
Old 01-23-15, 08:55 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just enjoy the car for what it is. It's a fantastic car that combines performance with luxury and comfort. If you start taking out seats and all...imo...you're taking away what the car really is.

I've never understood folks that go to the dragstrip, for example, and take out the spare and put on slicks. That's not a true representative of what the car does in the real world. Yes, you will add to the performance at THAT venue but that's not true performance. Unless, of course, that's how you will drive it on your commute to work.

If you wanna get some hp adders...go for it. But spending dough on lightweight batteries, etc is like giving a whale a tic tac on a 2 ton vehicle. The car is fine, as is...

Imo...
Old 01-24-15, 06:22 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

If it were my car I'd just do wider lightweight +1 wheels, lighter bigger brakes (if available), Ti exhaust (if available) and Braile battery and call it a day in terms of weight savings. The car wasn't meant to be a lightweight racer so I wouldn't go crazy trying to do that as you will lose some of the cars luxury identity.

I've seen some cars save 30-50lbs going Ti exhaust so that would probably be the biggest weight saver sans removing interior which is also a no no for me. But if its your thing go for it as its your car. Happy modding.
Old 01-24-15, 08:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lightweight brakes rotors and wheels to lower rotating mass are bigger gains. But these are expensive parts.

Please dont gut an RCF.
Old 01-25-15, 04:03 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want something lightweight you ordered the wrong car.
Old 01-26-15, 03:13 PM
abstruse1
Driver School Candidate

Thanx for the thoughts, guys.

I realize it's inherently heavy and that nothing short of drastic work could make it light. Still, some changes may be helpful and doable w/o ruining the car.

So, as more of these things get on the street, more people will be fiddling and learning what this part and that weigh and what weight saving options there are.

For example, if for some reason someone pulled a tire off a wheel, it'd be nice to know what the bare wheel weighs. Likewise cat-back exhaust parts. And someone will have a rear seat out for some reason, so put it on a scale.

And, if these cars sell well, someone's gonna put some serious time into turbo/supercharging the motor and hacking the ECU.

Like the man said, "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."

I think I'm a bit ahead of the curve with this posting.
Old 01-26-15, 03:20 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Analysis of the pieces of the weight issue is worthwhile, but the ECU hack will not happen. There are many threads that address/explain the latter.