RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

DIY: Setting the auto blinker

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 10:35 AM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default DIY: Setting the auto blinker

The automated blinker is set at 3 blinks from the factory. I find this to be too short for all practical purposes. I tried changing it the same way I did on my GS. It worked!!! 7 blinks works perfectly for me. Here is the writeup from FishBike

Just did this myself (5 blinks) and it took a few tries to get it right. The official procedure can be a little confusing to understand, and you have to do it pretty quickly as well. There is also a step they have listed in the middle that you can actually do before you start the time-critical portion, so it's easier if you do that first. I'm going to try to describe what I did in case it helps anyone:

1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks

Here is the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-blinker.html
The following 8 users liked this post by Isfast:
aaronless (03-26-19), dteam702 (05-12-21), GGJuarez (09-25-22), GNS (07-08-21), GunnyFitz (08-20-19), Sit (04-01-19), SUNNYRCF (01-17-24), UFOHunter (08-15-23) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-15, 02:18 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

amazing write-up! Is there a way to do this in the IS F, which doesn't have any automatic blinks from factory?
Old 01-05-15, 02:18 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LO 21
amazing write-up! Is there a way to do this in the IS F, which doesn't have any automatic blinks from factory?
Unfortunately not
Old 01-07-15, 11:58 AM
kirk200
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Isfast
Unfortunately not
Dang! That would have been a cool modification for the IS F, and it's a neat way to program it... even if it is a little convoluted!

- Kirk
Old 01-07-15, 02:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LO 21
Yes gently tap the blinker manually 3 / 5 / 7 times

I do it all the time - 3 times

~ Joe Z
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
lobuxracer (04-01-19), ProfSCCA (03-29-19)
Old 01-07-15, 03:35 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta try this out, 3 blinks is too short to warn people
Old 01-07-15, 05:16 PM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For RC F, there is an easier way to setup the # of blinks by change the setting under vehicle setup on the display screen. The default setting is 3. The instruction is on page 641 of the owners manual.
Old 01-07-15, 06:15 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by waynesreef
For RC F, there is an easier way to setup the # of blinks by change the setting under vehicle setup on the display screen. The default setting is 3. The instruction is on page 641 of the owners manual.
What??? No way!! After all that. I scrolled through the menu too. Jeez.
Old 01-07-15, 08:10 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The future is here... no more tap dancing, instead go into the settings menu and set the number of blinking..who would have thought????
Old 02-08-15, 11:21 AM
Fishman350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waynesreef
I'm not sure if the RC F is different than an RC350 F-Sport in this regard but while this is addressed on page 641 of the owner's manual, my manual indicates that it must be changed by your Lexus Dealer (column 3 signifies this fact). I found no such setting in my car and followed the OP's instructions and it worked perfectly. Thanks for this information.
Old 02-08-15, 12:55 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ agreed, no setting to change the blinker in the vehicle setup and I have still yet to try to do the way the OP suggested
Old 02-08-15, 05:57 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fishman350
I'm not sure if the RC F is different than an RC350 F-Sport in this regard but while this is addressed on page 641 of the owner's manual, my manual indicates that it must be changed by your Lexus Dealer (column 3 signifies this fact). I found no such setting in my car and followed the OP's instructions and it worked perfectly. Thanks for this information.
It was worthwhile creating the post then Thanks.
Old 02-09-15, 11:19 AM
RCFSid
Driver School Candidate

I changed the blinker setting based on the OP. After I successfully changed the number of blinks, I went through the vehicle setup/settings and couldn't find anywhere to change this setting. So, great post!
Old 02-10-15, 03:52 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the RC350 and this works as I just did it yesterday. I had to do it a few times, but when I counted to 8 for each step it worked perfectly. Thanks for the write up.
Old 04-05-15, 04:48 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Default Diy for 460ls

Originally Posted by Isfast
The automated blinker is set at 3 blinks from the factory. I find this to be too short for all practical purposes. I tried changing it the same way I did on my GS. It worked!!! 7 blinks works perfectly for me. Here is the writeup from FishBike

Just did this myself (5 blinks) and it took a few tries to get it right. The official procedure can be a little confusing to understand, and you have to do it pretty quickly as well. There is also a step they have listed in the middle that you can actually do before you start the time-critical portion, so it's easier if you do that first. I'm going to try to describe what I did in case it helps anyone:

1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks

Here is the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-blinker.html
Can this work for the 460LS?

Quick Reply: DIY: Setting the auto blinker